Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 01:13 PM

302 posts, read 727,007 times

Advertisements

Thinking about installing a fence to fully enclose my backyard (2 sides are fenced from neighbors, one side is fenced on my property...I would be finishing off the front of the yard and having 2 gates installed). This is mostly so my dog can run around safely, but it's going to cost almost $4000 (white 6' PVC fence - really nice quality). I'm thinking it will pay for itself when I sell down the road...but maybe I'm wrong? I live in Bloomington and some neighbors have fenced yards, some don't.

Any thoughts/opinions on this please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 01:19 PM

442 posts, read 593,603 times
I don't think you can really affix a value to a fence. It's a must for some buyers, others couldn't care less. Do it if it makes sense for you and for your dog's safety, but if it does add any value, realize it won't be dollar-for-dollar.

If you have a small breed and are open to it, consider looking into an invisible fence. A lot of people in the developments near where I live have done it (though it wouldn't slow down my 80-pound Boxer).

Old 04-07-2015, 02:08 PM

142 posts, read 255,569 times
Like most additions to a home, will you recover 100% of the costs, probably not.

BUT as someone who also has dogs when we were looking at homes a fence was for sure an added bonus. We recently had to put one in and it was about $4000 as well. If anything if buyers need a fence and you don't have one my bet would be that they would write you an offer for $4000 (or more) less than listing price to cover the fence cost that they'd have to do.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:28 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
the peace of mind alone will be worth it when you are able to let your pooch out and know it won't dash off across the street chasing a squirley...

we used Century Fence to replace a cedar picket fence when it got tore up during a severe storm when trees hit it and would recommend them. We went with a chain link because of the cost, but it's stayed straight and tight as the day they put it in 3 years ago, even after taking another direct hit in which I had to replace a section of the top rail.

I think we paid about $4K (??) for about 250' including 2 double gates and 2 single gates.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:33 PM

117 posts, read 161,420 times
I would make the decision based on whether it would provide $4000 worth of value to you for the purpose of keeping your dog contained for the amount of time you plan to continue living in your house, not about how it would affect resale. When we built one in our backyard for our dog four years ago, I looked online for opinions about fences, and the ones I saw were mixed. Many people with kids/dogs like to have them, but there are also a lot of people who don't like them, and would consider it a negative as they may pay to have it removed. So it all depends on the person who ends up buying your home.

One thing that might affect resale is making sure the fence material matches your neighborhood. Most of the fences in our neighborhood are wood, with a few higher end ones that are cast metal. I think there is only one PVC fence, and I'm not sure if there are any chain link. Our fence is cedar. We spent a little more than you to fence all three sides of our back yard (did all the work ourselves), and found it well worth the cost for both added privacy and keeping our dog safely contained in the yard.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post

I think we paid about $4K (??) for about 250' including 2 double gates and 2 single gates.
Wow, Ghenghis! That's inexpensive! And cedar is more expensive than white PVC fencing. Going to check them out! Thanks!

I do know that for my next house I will only want a place that has a fully fenced yard, so I imagine for some (like me), a fence is a selling point (I did not have a dog when I bought this house).

Old 04-07-2015, 02:46 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSMCGirl View Post
Wow, Ghenghis! That's inexpensive! And cedar is more expensive than white PVC fencing. Going to check them out! Thanks!

I do know that for my next house I will only want a place that has a fully fenced yard, so I imagine for some (like me), a fence is a selling point (I did not have a dog when I bought this house).
just to be clear, this was for a chain link. I was hesitant to go with chain link but am happy with the results and savings but then again, I don't have any neighbors to "offend"

not sure if your dog is a digger but, if I had one regret, it would have been to stick with my initial inclination to have them keep the bottom of the fence material an inch or two off the ground to save on the trimmer string. The sales guy said they would do it but the installers talked me out of it.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:21 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
I also have dogs and can't imagine not having a fence, especially now that coyotes are a more common problem. Many have lost their pets due to coyotes.

My feeling is that fences make good neighbors. Even without pets, you never know who your neighbors will be and I think most people like the added privacy.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:34 PM

I think I'm going to get one more bid (have two already) and just do it! I think it'll add a lot to the yard and the dog will be thrilled (not sure if she's a digger...she's a puppy and haven't had a chance to find out!!)

Old 04-08-2015, 08:00 AM

442 posts, read 593,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSMCGirl View Post
I think I'm going to get one more bid (have two already) and just do it! I think it'll add a lot to the yard and the dog will be thrilled (not sure if she's a digger...she's a puppy and haven't had a chance to find out!!)
Just make sure you keep it clean. White PVC is beautiful when it's first installed, but I've had a lot of buyers turn their noses at that fencing when it's clear that the owners haven't power-washed it frequently to keep it from turning dingy. So while it won't necessarily add $4,000 of value to your home, if it's poorly maintained it MAY reduce your home's appeal down the line.

Just correct her the first time she starts to dig and keep her well exercised and stimulated and you won't have a problem. Some breeds just naturally dig, but for many it's a response to boredom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul