Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 07:27 PM

779 posts, read 921,349 times

Advertisements

I was in Denver last year when they got a storm in from Alaska, temperatures plummeted to about 0 Fahrenheit. I can't remember how many inches in snow fell during those few days, but it made driving a chore. Does snow ever impede quality of life in St. Paul or Minneapolis and is it really all that cold? In other words, does it feel cold? If so, how do you go about your daily routines comfortably and how do you hit the gym in the morning when it's that cold outside?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 07:37 PM

5,833 posts, read 7,662,237 times
We wear warm clothes in the winter and enjoy 15 hours of daylight in the summer.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:52 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,638,574 times
It feels cold. It's awful, but life goes on. There's lots of stuff that happens inside, and you just bundle up when going out. And, like Glenfield points out, the long summer days help to make up for the cold, dark winters. Snow can be a real hassle, but this year it was much easier here than many other places (less of it, and at least here they generally plow it quickly).

Old 04-14-2015, 08:13 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,693,231 times
Yes it feels very cold. Sometimes painfully so. There's only about 10 days a year like that.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:14 PM

520 posts, read 771,588 times
I'm new to Minnesota, but have lived in cold weather places all of my life. It gets a little colder here than in the other places I lived. However, that is more than offset by the fact that the bitter cold is often accompanied by a bright, sunny day.

While it got well below zero here this past year, I have felt much colder when the mercury was considerably higher. A cold, cloudy, damp and rainy 35 degree day in the Pacific Northwest, British Isles or mainland Europe feels colder and is much more unpleasant to me than a sunny sub-zero day in Minnesota.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:29 PM

442 posts, read 589,066 times
Scotch. And thinking back to the four years I spent in Fargo.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:44 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,455,300 times
i go to arizona

Old 04-14-2015, 08:59 PM

23,769 posts, read 28,875,608 times
it's not that cold

Old 04-14-2015, 09:29 PM

948 posts, read 911,508 times
People adapt to the environment they're raised in.

DH hated MN winters, because he was raised someplace warmer. I grew up with MN winters, so they don't bother me as much. In fact, I take pride in the fact that I can handle the cold. People adapt to their environment.

I remember going to Mexico one winter, and being amazed to see Mexicans wearing winter coats on wonderfully warm winter nights. It seemed warm to me because I was raised in MN, but to them, that was cold. I live in southern Japan now, and they also wear winter coats in weather that Minnesotans would wear shorts in.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:49 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,063,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post
Does snow ever impede quality of life in St. Paul or Minneapolis and is it really all that cold?
No, snow doesn't impede quality of life. Why would it? MNDOT plows the roads promptly after storms, and we have the infrastructure to deal with it. It's never really an issue in Minnesota except in far western parts of the state where drifting snow might shut down roads for a day.

Yes, of course it gets cold here. Most of the extreme below zero lows you hear on the national news coming from Minnesota occur in the dead of night, so almost no one really has to deal with it. There are a handful of days in the winter when highs don't get above zero, but as someone earlier already mentioned, they almost always fall on brilliantly sunny, beautiful winter days. As long as the wind isn't howling and you're bundled up properly, it actually feels GOOD to get outside and feel the warmth of the sun on your face. It's therapeutic and definitely necessary to get out and enjoy winter, because you'll have to face it one way or another. Why not just embrace it?

One of my favorite activities in the winter, especially on the coldest days, is to take a walk around the lakes. On any bright sunny day, you'll see all sorts of people outside running, cross-country skiing, or just taking a stroll.

A lot of people who aren't from here and/or have never been here seem to think it's brutally, unrelentingly cold all winter long. In actuality, most winter days are about 25ºF and sunny, which really isn't terrible at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul