Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2015, 09:57 PM

2 posts, read 1,329 times

Advertisements

After this semester is over, I'll be done with my A.A. degree and transferring to Hamline University. My #1 choice was the U, but unfortunately I didn't get in. I understand Mac, Carleton, St. Olaf, etc are all better than Hamline, but I'm wondering if recruiters at least view Hamline as a decent institution...Also, if I had a 3.7ish GPA would grad school be a possibility?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 06:01 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,809,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallparkDreaming View Post
After this semester is over, I'll be done with my A.A. degree and transferring to Hamline University. My #1 choice was the U, but unfortunately I didn't get in. I understand Mac, Carleton, St. Olaf, etc are all better than Hamline, but I'm wondering if recruiters at least view Hamline as a decent institution...Also, if I had a 3.7ish GPA would grad school be a possibility?
The word 'rank' is somewhat vague, and so much depends on what one wants out of an institution. However, in terms of general ranking Carleton is the clear consensus #1 in Minnesota, with Macalester generally coming in #2, though sometimes the University of Minnesota takes second place. Along with those three, St. Olaf and Gustavus typically round out the top five.

After that, one gets into the second tier, which is less clear as to rank (again, whatever that means). I'd say that Hamline fits squarely into that group, which consists of perhaps half a dozen schools.

Disclosure:
I've lived in Northfield most of my life, and so am very familiar with Carleton and St. Olaf. And our first two children are off to college this coming fall at Macalester and Hamline, and other schools they considered included the U, Gustavus and St. Kate's. So I've been learning quite a bit about the various institutions over the past year.

Just my perspective. Others may see it differently.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:29 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,729,919 times
Hamline has a decent reputation. Augsburg is another school to consider (and the more I learn about it, the more impressed I am.). What is your chosen field? I would take that into account, more than ranking. What kind of classes are available, for example? Will you have research opportunities with professors?

Yes, you can get into grad school with a 3.7 GPA; there are lots of other factors, including faculty recommendations, writing samples, GRE scores, other relevant activities, etc. Usually you also break down your GPA in other ways, too, i.e. GPA for junior and senior years, or GPA in your major.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:58 PM

2 posts, read 1,329 times
I'm planning on majoring in Economics. On one hand, it's in Hamline's business school but on the other it's a B.A. Would've preferred a B.S., but the classes still look solid. I did consider Augsburg, but some reviewers put it below UST, and Hamline so I wasn't sure what to think. I did get into UST as well, which I forgot to mention, and it'd be hard to pass up the networking. I'm making my final decision by Friday, so I was just curious as to what some other people thought!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul