Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 03:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,549 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move into the Twin Cities area around June 1st and need a bit of help with what I can afford/expect:

Budget would be around $1000, would prefer a 1 BDR
I'll be working in Maplewood
Highly prefer living near others (downtown area)
I have a car, so I'm not too worried about commuting (or should I be?)
I'm 25, so maybe would prefer living near slightly younger crowd (20-30)

Any help would be much appreciated. I love Minnesota sports, so anything near the stadiums in Minneapolis or near Xcel in St Paul would be a huge plus, but I realize this might knock me out of my price range.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 10:12 AM

6,535 posts, read 7,115,401 times
North Loop in Mpls (Target Field and Target Center is next door)
Uptown
St Anthony and Main area of NE Mpls
NE Mpls in general
St Paul, places near Grand Ave, maybe something on W 7th near the Xcel.

The commute to 3M (assuming that's the Maplewood work place) shouldn't be bad, going opposite direction of the heavy traffic.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:51 AM

221 posts, read 317,969 times
Any luck? I'm moving closer to Minneapolis this summer as well, I currently live in a suburb pretty far north and want to be closer to the fun and youth of the city. I have a similar budget to you and am having a hard time finding anything.

If you've had luck finding somewhere, can I ask if you were using any website/app/tool that you found particularly helpful?

Old 05-12-2015, 09:07 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,138 times
I highly recommend padmapper. com for a rental housing search. That's what I used before I bought my house 3 years ago, and that's what I have used to help friends find places since then. It pulls from a number of sources and puts the results on an easy-to-use map. Their mobile interface kind of sucks, though, so I recommend using an actual computer to access the site.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:13 AM

878 posts, read 1,206,604 times
Another vote for Padmapper.com; it's particularly helpful for people new to the area as it places all of the listings on a map, not just in a list.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:22 PM

144 posts, read 468,640 times
most of the websites all have maps, apartments.com or craigslist.

what's so special about padmapper?

Old 05-15-2015, 10:41 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,138 times
I like padmapper because it draws from multiple sources and aggregates the results onto a single map. I also find the interface intuitive and apprecitate the fact that it doesn't pressure to sign up an account in order to use it.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:02 PM

878 posts, read 1,206,604 times
Craiglist might individually map each listing, but padmapper has them ALL together on a single map, so you can easily see where all of the listings are-- and where they are in relation to each other-- I found that especially helpful when I was first learning the lay of the land and trying to determine where we wanted to move. Additionally, craiglist is clunky to navigate and, as already mentioned, padmapper has a much more intuitive interface.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:50 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,744,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SelectStart View Post
I am looking to move into the Twin Cities area around June 1st and need a bit of help with what I can afford/expect:

Budget would be around $1000, would prefer a 1 BDR
I'll be working in Maplewood
Highly prefer living near others (downtown area)
I have a car, so I'm not too worried about commuting (or should I be?)
I'm 25, so maybe would prefer living near slightly younger crowd (20-30)

Any help would be much appreciated. I love Minnesota sports, so anything near the stadiums in Minneapolis or near Xcel in St Paul would be a huge plus, but I realize this might knock me out of my price range.

Thanks!
You need to be Downtown St Paul imo. You can walk to the bars/restaurants, walk to the X for games/concerts, to CHS field for Saints games & it's a 10 minute drive to Maplewood for work. Really no reason to look anywhere else, imo, but Selby-Dale/Cathedral Hill or West 7th would also be good choices.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:01 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,362,280 times
I second the suggestion of looking in downtown St. Paul. For $1000 you could find a nice 1 bdrm loft there and you'd be close to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul