Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 08:16 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,274,988 times

Advertisements

The cost of living in the Twin Cities is lower than in Boston. The overall cost of living index in Boston is 160.7 and 108.0 in Minneapolis. Housing is double in Boston compared to Minneapolis. Utilities are about 25% more. A salary of 40,000 in Boston equals a salary of 26,882 in Minneapolis. So your money will go a lot farther in Minneapolis, if you were paid the same.

The winters are long and miserable in Minnesota. You're probably used to rotten winter weather, living in Boston. The temperatures can swing farther than Boston since Minnesota is in the middle of the continent. Thirty degree daily temperature swings are common. Forty five degree swings occur about once every ten years. The maximum temperature swing was 71 degrees in Lamberton, in Redwood County on April 3, 1982, where the temperature fell from 71 degrees to 7 degrees in one day. On the bright side, the climate change caused the winters to be much less severe the past 20 years as it was from 20 to 60 years ago. Most winters in the past 20 years had much less snow than it was 20 to 60 years ago. People who want to go snowmobiling have to drive a long way from the Twin Cities in the winters, compared to the way it used to be about 20 years ago.

There are huge number of bike and walking trails in the Twin Cities, probably thousands of trail miles. There are 132 trail miles just in Woodbury, a suburb east of St Paul.

If you are thinking of working in the Twin Cities, you should check out areas to live closer to work if possible. Commuting across the Twin Cities can be a hassle since there are several rivers that pass through the Twin Cities, which reduce the driving options due to the rivers. The unemployment rates in the Twin Cities are usually lower than the overall US unemployment rates. The standard of living is considerably higher in the Twin Cities compared to the east coast, given the same income level.

If you're visiting in the summer, make sure to have mosquito repellent with you and different types of clothes to handle the large temperature swings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 09:04 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
The cost of living in the Twin Cities is lower than in Boston. The overall cost of living index in Boston is 160.7 and 108.0 in Minneapolis. Housing is double in Boston compared to Minneapolis. Utilities are about 25% more. A salary of 40,000 in Boston equals a salary of 26,882 in Minneapolis. So your money will go a lot farther in Minneapolis, if you were paid the same.

The winters are long and miserable in Minnesota. You're probably used to rotten winter weather, living in Boston. The temperatures can swing farther than Boston since Minnesota is in the middle of the continent. Thirty degree daily temperature swings are common. Forty five degree swings occur about once every ten years. The maximum temperature swing was 71 degrees in Lamberton, in Redwood County on April 3, 1982, where the temperature fell from 71 degrees to 7 degrees in one day. On the bright side, the climate change caused the winters to be much less severe the past 20 years as it was from 20 to 60 years ago. Most winters in the past 20 years had much less snow than it was 20 to 60 years ago. People who want to go snowmobiling have to drive a long way from the Twin Cities in the winters, compared to the way it used to be about 20 years ago.

There are huge number of bike and walking trails in the Twin Cities, probably thousands of trail miles. There are 132 trail miles just in Woodbury, a suburb east of St Paul.

If you are thinking of working in the Twin Cities, you should check out areas to live closer to work if possible. Commuting across the Twin Cities can be a hassle since there are several rivers that pass through the Twin Cities, which reduce the driving options due to the rivers. The unemployment rates in the Twin Cities are usually lower than the overall US unemployment rates. The standard of living is considerably higher in the Twin Cities compared to the east coast, given the same income level.

If you're visiting in the summer, make sure to have mosquito repellent with you and different types of clothes to handle the large temperature swings.
Wow the savings would be incredible. I make most (though not all) of my money now via the Internet, so pay would still be the same, but in a way, I'd really increase my purchasing power!

Good to know about the temp swings. I feel that if i survived this hell of a winter in Boston a few months ago, I can do pretty much anything. I'm guessing even an equivalent a,punt of snow in mpls wouldn't be as bad though, since Boston has some really narrow streets, sidewalks, and terrible traffic anyway.

Great advice so far, thanks everyone. Really pumped to bike around town when I get there. Is there a place you'd recommend for renting a bike?

Old 05-18-2015, 09:24 AM

6,537 posts, read 7,118,145 times
https://www.niceridemn.org

Also check with bike shops near where your staying, maybe they rent also.

Old 05-21-2015, 05:21 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times
I was born in St. Paul but moved out of state at age 6. But I still like to keep up with things via this forum.

Perhaps Minneapolis-St. Paul Magazine has a link online to their "Best of" issue in the past year to get a feel for some fun things.

I liked parts of St. Paul, especially Grand Ave. and Summit Ave. areas --sort of like Washington Square or Coolidge Corner in Brookline, MA.

I'm anxious to read your reaction after your trip.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:56 PM

I'll definitely check in after my trip for sure, really looking forward to it. Just bought a ticket to the rock the garden music festival and to a Twins game. Itinerary is coming along nicely.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:14 AM

1,068 posts, read 1,427,997 times
Depends on your definition of "hip". If you go to Uptown it caters to overgrown frat boys. Seward has a hard rock music joint around the corner from a bowling alley which hosts punk rock bands on Mondays. NE is full of craft beer and little 13th Ave alone has 3 coffeeshops.

Old 06-14-2015, 05:25 PM

I'll be arriving to the twin cities this Friday! I'll be staying in St. Paul, but not quite sure of where exactly. Apparently, it's kinda the hood. Oh well!

Anyway, I'm gonna try to check out Surly Brewing, Dangerous Man, and Fulton Brewery. In terms of museums: Mill City Museum, Museum of Russian Art, Minneapolis Institute of Art, Minnesotan History Center. Food: Victor's 1964, Bull Run Coffee, Kramarczuk's, Moscow on the Hill, Al's Breakfast, Matt's Bar, Punch Pizza. Bars: Psycho Suzi's, Liquor Lyle's, Prohibition, Marvel, Parlour, some places Uptown are apparently good? Also planning to check out Fort Snelling and Chain of Lakes. Hopefully go canoeing too. I have tickets for the Twins game Friday (Paul Molitor bobble head night!) and day 1 of Rock the Garden on Saturday. Sunday to Monday we're going camping up north of Duluth.

Any glaring omissions or anything that you think isn't that great? Any suggestions for maybe a couple interesting things in the Duluth area to check out? Won't be there long and will predominantly be doing camping things, but if there's something really sweet, let me know!

Thanks for your help, you've been great. Can't wait to get back on here and let you know how it all went. I'm really excited.

Old 06-14-2015, 05:56 PM

22 posts, read 21,377 times
Skip Matt's (burgers are over-rated) and eat before going to Psycho Suzi's. Instead go to Anchor Fish N Chips. Still looking for the best burger but I hear Capital Grille rocks. Skip Surdyks unless ur a cheesemonger/conniesseur. Otherwise ur list is spot-on. Don.t waste a whole day in uptown but hit Magers and Quinn bookstore and Penzy spices. Stella's is a great rooftop but the youngn's take over after dark. By young I mean underage-looking. Woullet or Rustica bakery is tops. Good luck! Give us ur report!♡

Old 06-14-2015, 08:57 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,341,180 times
Looks like a great list to me. I'd just add the Stone Arch Bridge & St. Anthony a Falls, along with the viewing spots from the upper floors of the Guthrie a Theater (though much of the view would be similar to what you'd see from the Mill City Museum.

Over in St. Paul, O'Gara's at Snelling & Selby may also be worth a stop. A historic note: Charles Shultz grew up in an apartment on the second floor of O'Gara's and his dad worked at a barber shop on the first floor. that's why you'll see a Peanuts statue outside of O'Gara's.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:19 PM

687 posts, read 1,255,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shansota22_22 View Post
Skip Matt's (burgers are over-rated) and eat before going to Psycho Suzi's. Instead go to Anchor Fish N Chips. Still looking for the best burger but I hear Capital Grille rocks. Skip Surdyks unless ur a cheesemonger/conniesseur. Otherwise ur list is spot-on. Don.t waste a whole day in uptown but hit Magers and Quinn bookstore and Penzy spices. Stella's is a great rooftop but the youngn's take over after dark. By young I mean underage-looking. Woullet or Rustica bakery is tops. Good luck! Give us ur report!♡
Is there something notable about the Penzey's in Minneapolis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul