Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 12:24 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,480,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
I need to call this statement out. Do you honestly think that someone is more likely to be arrested simply due to living in an area with high-crime? Or that growing up or living in these areas will increase the liklihood that someone will commit a crime? I'm sorry but this is just absurd.
Lol, are you being sarcastic or something?

Yes people who live in areas with high crime are probably committing more crimes than people who live in areas than low crime areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 12:32 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,700,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makes no sense at all View Post
I actually did mean the entirety of the city, I was just using north as an example.

The reason why Minneapolis is affordable is because there are so many small, old houses. It's the same situation as in Pittsburgh, another of the three cities in those Atlantic articles. The other city mentioned in the article, SLC, has a lot of affordable houses that are much newer and larger. but I apologize, this is not related to the topic.
Then you are wrong. Not every area of the city has small, old, affordable houses. The entire southwest quadrant and much of the south side is not like that.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:45 PM

171 posts, read 196,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Then you are wrong. Not every area of the city has small, old, affordable houses. The entire southwest quadrant and much of the south side is not like that.
ok boss

Old 05-29-2015, 12:50 PM

520 posts, read 775,125 times
Quote:
I'm not sure that TANF link is to believed. It leads to a racist blog and the link to the data source is broken.

I also don't think one can draw any meaningful insight about anything happening in the Twin Cities based on an NY times article from 1997.

Minneapolis never had any risk of becoming like the south side of Chicago. There was nothing like the south side of Chicago here.
I know what you mean about the source on TANF. I was really hesitant to post it because of that. I visited the HHS site to see if the source data was there and couldn't find it. The data I found breaking down distributions by race appeared to support the conclusions in that questionable article.

With regard to the NYT article, the relevance lies in the fact that it was from the time when crimes being committed by people from out of state was soaring. I believe this is a big part of the cause and effect of the income disparities and other issue the city faces today.

Of course there WAS nothing like the south side of Chicago here. That's the point. Why is Chicago's south side the way it is? It didn't start out that way, and North Minneapolis doesn't need to end up that way. My basic premise is that Minneapolis has some of the challenges now that cities like Chicago and Milwaukee faced many years earlier. I don't think most other midwestern cities have done a very good job in the face of those challenges. Hopefully, we can learn from their mistakes instead of repeating the same cycle.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:03 PM

171 posts, read 196,756 times
i guess i mean there can't really be anything like the south side simply because of .the sheer size of the south side. It's almost 2x the population of the entire city of Minneapolis and comprimises half the population and land area of Chicago.

North Minneapolis is minuscule in comparison both population wise and geographically, and a tiny slice of Minneapolis as a whole. For better or worse, if North Minneapolis struggles or even dies out, its no big deal to the rest of Minneapolis.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
ok boss
You are most welcome. I try to correct the errors in your posts but it's such a big job...

Old 05-29-2015, 11:51 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,145,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestRedux View Post
[

Thoughts???
You asked..

Some ethnic family cultures start with nothing and kick butt. Others stay broken including parts of the AA community. Under achievers are under achievers and it really doesn't matter what color their skin happens to be. When they under achieve, their income suffers which create more difficulties. There is no doubt that people prejudge and that is an unfortunate reality (all skin colors wrongly prejudge).

The solution lies within the AA family culture. It seems too many families are broken. Mimic the families that kick butt and great things can be accomplished. Just ask the Vietnamese community how it should be done.

So when you fix the family culture, you will fix the income disparity. See List of ethnic groups in the United States by household income - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . I'm white. Should I get upset that the Indian American's make more money that the average whites? How about the Filipino's or the Taiwanese Americans? They too out perform the average white family. I thought this disparity was the fault of us "Whities"?? IF it was, shouldn't we be the top income producers? The posted link proves that isn't the case. Maybe just maybe, the top producers have stronger family cultures and foster tighter bonds and are more motivated. See Children in single-parent families by race | KIDS COUNT Data Center . Notice that Asian Americans are 4 times more likely to stay married than AA families. Is this the Twin Cities fault?

The bottom line is fix the problem by staring in the mirror versus blaming others. I understand there is blame to share. But study how other cultures quickly turned the corner and stop blaming the white guy for the broken AA family culture. My family didn't have anything to do with slavery. I'm offended when people of color prejudge me when I didn't do anything wrong. Let's face it; welfare has made it worse not better. The solutions have to come from within the community. Support non-loudmouth "leaders" other than Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. Those guys are idiots and command no respect. There goal is to line their own pockets while beating the drum of racism.

Old 05-30-2015, 12:04 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,178,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I am not black, but I only make somewhere in the mid-range of the average black income figure. Guess what - I'd love to live in a nice city like Minneapolis, but I don't because I can't afford it.

This does not cause my children to go out and commit crimes, and my income is not the fault of the people making the larger incomes either.
It's really not as unobtainable as you make it out to be. It ain't the Appalachian Americas but it's not the coast either. If you can support a full-time job (any job), you can afford to live here. Welcome!

Old 05-30-2015, 12:07 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,178,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I don't agree with that. I'd say that much of the South/Southwest sides of Minneapolis are made up of fairly tiny bungalows. It's the lakes areas where most of the Victorians and other mansions are.

Old 05-30-2015, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I don't agree with that. I'd say that much of the South/Southwest sides of Minneapolis are made up of fairly tiny bungalows. It's the lakes areas where most of the Victorians and other mansions are.
I didn't say the area was all Victorians and mansions. Go back to the post I was criticizing for context.

Quote:
That's sort of the secret of the Minneapolis miracle... the houses actually IN Minneapolis aren't great, that is why they are affordable. I don't think it really means that poorer AAs are doing that much better than other cities. (a few recent articles suggest they are not) More like the baseline for what an acceptable house is for a person of any color is a few notches lower than it is in say, Denver or Atlanta.
It's pretty clear that the entire city is not being accurately described here. I'm arguing against the theory here that the "entirety" of the city is filled with rundown houses that are then occupied by crime committing blacks.

Last edited by Glenfield; 05-30-2015 at 07:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul