Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 05:46 PM

779 posts, read 927,824 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure this will do any good, but part of the reason African Americans are arrested more, sentenced more harshly than European Americans for the same crime, and given the death penalty at higher rates than European Americans for homicide is because we live in a racist European supremest society...

It doesn't justify African American's (or any other race's) wrong actions but it's ignorant, and willfully so, to believe that African Americans and Europeans Americans receive the same treatment and share the same experience(s) under the exact same circumstances, having committed the exact same crimes, when dealing with the police. To the comments regarding Asians, they don't have the same negative history and haven't received the same discrimination as African Americans in the U.S., so I'm not sure you're comparing apples to apples.

Give this a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AMY2Bvxuxc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 07:22 PM

119 posts, read 144,963 times
We can use as much hyperbole and rhetoric as we wish. We can pee into the wind or bury our heads in the sand; that is we can blame blacks for their present conditions or blame history of white supremacy (note: white supremacy is less relevant with easy passing day; while blaming blacks has always been idiotic at very best).

The truth is that, law enforcement, the judicial system--to say nothing of prospective employers--banking institutions, whatever, esp popular culture, in general, has a hell of hard time giving the benefit of the doubt, of granting mercy, to black people.

Minneapolis might have special challenges in regard to this issue because of it's relative lack of black professional class, of how fatalistic life might seem here to young african americans.

So to ppl saying blame whitey: shut up; to ppl saying it's their own fault, shut up and get a library card.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:36 PM

182 posts, read 297,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuliu View Post
One of the things I notice about these kinds of threads here is that it doesn't seem like many posters actually know or talk to Af-Ams. Minneapolis is not that big. It can't be that hard to get to know someone from the black community or someone who works within these communities to actually get a better understanding of what's happening.

Of course I say this even though it's pointless - everyone knows City Data is predominantly a right wing forum hence the OBSESSION with race.

Even more hilarious is that no one has ever mentioned the influence of implicit bias. But then, that may hurt some feelings.
Exactly. That's why I rarely comment on threads like this anymore. They attract trolls and the ignorant like flies to honey. Like you said, it's very easy to tell which posters actually know, talk to, or interact with black people and which ones don't. Meh, I've decided long ago to let the clueless remain clueless and keep in movin'

Old 05-31-2015, 06:51 AM

214 posts, read 300,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Just give it the heck up!!

The Chief of Police of Minneapolis was on the eve news today saying this numbers are not correct and inaccurate.

She said that if the same person is arrested more than once they are not counted as 1 black but as more. She said some peoe are arrested 50 plus times in two years. 50 "blacks" are put in, not 1

Give up this poor me I'm black crap.
It is such a sickening disgrace to the human race.
Sounds like white privelige at its finest....

The numbers don't lie. Statistically speaking whites and blacks commit many crimes at the same rates. Take a look at marijuana. The rate of usage is actually slightly higher amongst whites but yet here in Minneapolis blacks get arrested or cited 9 times more often than their white counterparts. Now there could be other factors such as public usage and so forth but a result this pronounced looks like more targeted enforcement to me and many others.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmd View Post
Sigh.

Minneapolis. Baltimore. Ferguson. Los Angeles. Chicago. Boston. Any. Where. Else.

Stop committing crimes at such a high rate and your people won't get arrested at such a high rate. It really is that simple.
You do realize that statiscally speaking in both relative and absolute numbers us whites commit the majority of crimes in the US?

Old 05-31-2015, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makes no sense at all View Post
You may disagree, but I don't think it's absurd. I was house shopping until about a month ago. There are tons of small, old homes in Minneapolis (and St. Paul) which keep the average home price down. A house in northeast, which is the trendy but still affordable neighborhood, is not any different than a house in north, which is the "bad" neighborhood.
I'm curious if you have ever been to Atlanta? Try looking at the homes on the southside, that is if you aren't afraid, and tell me they are in better condition than those even in north Minneapolis.

You also mentioned Denver which has well outpaced Minneapolis housing gains. Homes there have broken $300k for median values.

Last edited by polo_golf_guy; 05-31-2015 at 08:18 AM..

Old 05-31-2015, 07:29 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo_golf_guy View Post
You do realize that statiscally speaking in both relative and absolute numbers us whites commit the majority of crimes in the US?
They commit more crimes in absolutes because they're the majority, but I've never seen any statistic that points to whites commiting a higher rate of crime -- I'd be interested to see that.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
They commit more crimes in absolutes because they're the majority, but I've never seen any statistic that points to whites commiting a higher rate of crime -- I'd be interested to see that.
If you are interested...

Tim Wise » Race, Crime and Statistical Malpractice: How the Right Manipulates White Fear With Bogus Data

Whites greatly overestimate the share of crimes committed by black people - The Washington Post

Unfortunately, it is difficult to prove out most of these points due to poor data gathering practices by local police all the way to the FBI.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:45 AM

779 posts, read 927,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Drunk drivers, serial killers, and rapists are disproportionately European American. The European American men who commit most of these crimes are not the majority, they actually range from 25-40 in age and make up about 15% of the population...

Old 05-31-2015, 08:00 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post
Drunk drivers, serial killers, and rapists are disproportionately European American. The European American men who commit most of these crimes are not the majority, they actually range from 25-40 in age and make up about 15% of the population...
Ah, but which European American? Northern European American, Southern European American, Eastern European American, Western European American, Central European American? Can't you slice it a little more finely?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul