Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2015, 07:59 AM

574 posts, read 687,112 times

Advertisements

Are there any good spots for fishing in the immediate cities or inner ring suburbs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 09:16 AM

292 posts, read 889,975 times
Shore or by boat? The lakes in Minneapolis and also I believe St. Paul are gas motor free. A couple of my coworkers fish on Nokomis and Calhoun using an electric trolling motor. They've taken muskies and walleye out of both. I've taken my 8 year old daughter to Powderhorn Lake. Where we catch tons of bullhead and catfish which I would never eat but we have a blast catching.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:31 AM

6,500 posts, read 7,065,447 times
A friend of mine started fishing just to get away from his family for an hr on a river in TX. He would fish from shore and use an RC boat to get his line way farther out then anyone could cast and then turn sharp to drop the hook and catch bigger fish then all others. Just an ingenious option if your shore fishing. I see people fishing on Lake Owasso in Roseville/Shoreview all the time.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:30 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,608,989 times
Don't write off Lake Harriet and Lake Calhoun. They both go around 90 feet deep, and some pretty nice-sized northerns and even muskies have been taken out of those lakes. They are fished pretty hard, though, so the populations aren't high, but they're still there. Lots of people take walleye from the shore on both lakes, too.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:43 AM

267 posts, read 557,272 times
If you are shore fishing you might try this DNR site which lists all of your options - Fishing Piers : Shorefishing Sites : LakeFinder : Maps & Guides: Minnesota DNR

Old 06-22-2015, 01:05 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,057,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillWallace View Post
If you are shore fishing you might try this DNR site which lists all of your options - Fishing Piers : Shorefishing Sites : LakeFinder : Maps & Guides: Minnesota DNR
Don't know about "good" but this seems like a good place to mention the DNR's "I Can Fish" events ... a summer series of assisted fishing in various state parks (including Ft. Snelling, in the metro):

I Can! Program Series: I Can Fish!: Minnesota DNR

There are a bunch of "I Can ..." events: camp, fish, climb. We've done the "I Can Camp" once and it was great - you bring your food and sleeping bags and they supply a couple of people to help everyone in the group get set up/tear down/cook and really nice camping gear (REI is one of the sponsors). They also brought fishing gear to the one we were at, enough for the 12 or so kids there to give it a try. Well done by the DNR.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:49 AM

13,670 posts, read 12,361,334 times
If you're willing to wade up to your knees, fish Calhoun for bass at twilight. Throw a floating Rapala or floating frog late in the evening and watch the bass and pike swirl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul