Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 06:41 PM

4 posts, read 3,284 times

Advertisements

My son is 16 and only had his license for 8 months. He just got a speeding ticket for 70 in a 30. The ticket isn't logged yet so we can't find out how much it's going to cost. The police told him it's only $75 and that doesn't make any sense to me. The ticket does say "juvenile Citation" so I'm thinking it may be less money. Does anyone know how much it'll be? It's driving me crazy not knowing.

And yes, He's had EVERYTHING taken away as punishment. and yes, he'll be paying the fine. and yes, he already pays his own insurance so it's a given that if we see an increase he'l be paying that as well. So please, if you know the answer, I'd love to hear it. But if you have parenting advice or want to bash me or my son please don't. It isn't helpful and I came here for help.

Last edited by junior1998; 07-22-2015 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: the comments below that aren't answering my question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 07:02 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,957,639 times
I'd be more concerned with my 16 year old son driving better than twice the posted speed limit.... and he'd be paying that
fine.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:27 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,140,733 times
wait until the insurance bill comes.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:38 PM

I'm not a dumb ass Sydney123, I AM concerned about him driving that fast. I didn't come here to get bashed, I came here for information so I can start figuring out how he's going to be paying for this. Trust me, I'm a good parent and I have taken the car, phone, tv, nice shoes and everything else important from him. I just want to know if the cop was right that juvenile fines are less or was he just citing the fine and not the court costs, administrative fees, etc.

PLEASE...if you don't have an answer to my question and instead want to give me advice or bash my son, save your typing. I came here for information, not a lecture. I WILL FOR SURE make sure the punishment fits the offense and he will be paying with his own money. And yes, he already pays his own car insurance and will of course, be paying the increased charge of it due to his own dumb behavior.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:41 PM

BTW, just in case you don't see my reply underneath...I'm not a dumbass. I came here for information. I AM concerned about his behavior. He's a really good kid, volunteers, good grades, has a job, etc. He made a mistake and will for sure be paying for it.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:15 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,957,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior1998 View Post
I'm not a dumb ass Sydney123, I AM concerned about him driving that fast. I didn't come here to get bashed, I came here for information so I can start figuring out how he's going to be paying for this. Trust me, I'm a good parent and I have taken the car, phone, tv, nice shoes and everything else important from him. I just want to know if the cop was right that juvenile fines are less or was he just citing the fine and not the court costs, administrative fees, etc.

PLEASE...if you don't have an answer to my question and instead want to give me advice or bash my son, save your typing. I came here for information, not a lecture. I WILL FOR SURE make sure the punishment fits the offense and he will be paying with his own money. And yes, he already pays his own car insurance and will of course, be paying the increased charge of it due to his own dumb behavior.

I didn't "bash" you nor your son. I merely said I'd be more concerned with his speeding than the fine for same.
Nor did I give you any advice, but since you mentioned advice. I would let HIM do the leg work and find out the information on his own and I would let HIM figure out how he was going to pay the fine.
If he's old enough to drive and exceed the speed limit.. He's old enough to deal with the consequences without
your helicoptering above him.
That being said I am sure that there are far better sources of info than asking on a public forum because... You will often get answers that you don't want to hear.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:30 PM

6,545 posts, read 7,127,359 times
I got a 91 in a 60 and fine was $212, that's the highest it can be, unless it was over 100

Old 07-22-2015, 09:10 PM

321 posts, read 861,162 times
I got ticketed for 42 in a 25 when I was 16.

Good people do naughty things. Good people want to have fun. Please don't focus on oh how horrible it was that he was speeding. Just try to help.

I still speed regularly fast enough to get my license pulled if I were caught in states like WI and IA, on selected routes. But at this age my objective is not fun; it's to get to my destination quickly because I'm traveling to places that are 4 to 8 hours from home on a 2-day weekend because the greedy corporation I work for only provides two weeks vacation. The time savings is significant, depending on the route.

In some countries, everybody speeds. The US and Canada are two of the slowest countries in the developed world. Speed limits are a reflection of the local culture. Different cultures have different interpretations of safety. I would rarely encourage people to slow down, but I do emphatically encourage everyone to BE ALERT, WATCH THE ROAD AT ALL TIMES, AND QUIT TEXTING!

Old 07-23-2015, 11:35 AM

906 posts, read 1,766,516 times
I don't know the answer to your question. However, I do want to say that I think you are doing everything right in response to this.
I would also emphasize education on why driving fast is unsafe and why speed limits exist. There are many Youtube videos that help reinforce this (and how texting and driving is dangerous).

There are several companies that make "tracking" devices that plug into the OBD port of the car (its usually under the dash on the drivers side) which record all sorts of data on driving behavior. Many of them are GPS enabled so you can monitor where your teen is driving and how he is driving. You can also consider mounting a dashcam that records his drives.

Both of these interventions are excellent deterrents against aggressive and unsafe driving. Knowing you are being tracked and your drives are being recorded tends to subconsciously lend to better decision making.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:42 AM

906 posts, read 1,766,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior1998 View Post
Then feel free to ignore the advise. This is a public forum and we are free to respond in any way we see fit. Who knows, someone else might find this thread and the suggestions that have been posted could come to good use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul