U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 02:37 PM

11 posts, read 35,180 times

Advertisements

I was recently doing some research about statistics on Payne-Phalen and I came across some threads about this neighborhood—mostly bad anecdotal stories, or things from the news, but few with actual personal experiences. I can give an opinion because I actually live here and choose to live here.

I recently moved to Payne-Phalen with my partner knowing we were moving to the "worst" neighborhood in St. Paul. We moved from a cushy, sleepy, predominately white neighborhood in Madison, WI ...boring. The reason decided to take a chance and move is that we didn't have kids, and we fell in love with the house we purchased—and we got it for a good deal. We are relatively young, and we enjoy art, urban gardening, vintage clothing, cycling etc. When we moved here we expected the worst, based on other people’s stories. However, moving to this neighborhood has been awesome. The fact that it is a challenging neighborhood creates an atmosphere where the good people stick together and a lot participate in the community. We know our neighbors and look out for one another. In the 7 years I lived in Madison, I barely knew our neighbors. But here, most close neighbors came over to introduce themselves when we moved in. One neighbor here has a 4th of July party every year, provides all the food and beverages and invites the community to partake. Another neighbor has been our plant guru and we trade plants back and forth. We have others that do volunteer teaching for the schools etc. One couple started pocket parks and participates and organizes community gardening events. When we sit on our front porch, people stop by to chat, and random strangers wave. The more homeowners we get in the area, the better it will become.

Here are the positives: We have some great restaurants. There are more coming soon, but for now there’s Tongue in Cheek, Ward 6, Eastside Thai, Cook, Plaza Del Sol, not to mention the Strip Club, Urban Organics and the Flat Earth Brewery in the not-so-far-away Dayton’s Bluff neighborhood. I haven’t been to these restaurants, but others like Yarusso Bros Italian and Magnolia’s. There’s also the Bymore and a cute Mexican bakery, and food trucks on Payne. Also close by are TWO Hmong villages, with great food. If you like to exercise there is a large YMCA with a pool, nearby on Arcade Street. I go to the YMCA, but I also to the YWCA near the Cathedral. There’s also a small library on Phalen, and a gym that costs $30 a year (!!) at the community center. The new Mississippi Market Co-op is about 1.4 miles away from our house—so convenient, and it’s huge, but if that’s not your style there’s also Cub Foods. Swede Hollow Café is near the Co-op and they’ve been there for 20 years, offering great food and coffee. What is also convenient is access to downtown Saint Paul and major freeways. I work in South Minneapolis and it takes me maybe 4-5 min to hop on the 94 to 35W. Seriously, the accessibility is a bonus. There has been talk about more development of transit options around the area, like Rush Line. My partner and I ride bikes to Lowertown Saint Paul for the farmer’s market, Saint Paul Art Crawl and Bedlam Theater—downtown is less than 2 miles away, mostly by bike path, through Swede Hollow! CHS field is also downtown, and of course there are lots of eating and shopping options downtown. In the other direction, Lake Phalen is less than 2 miles away, for sailing, canoeing and biking. The Arlington-Arkwright Dog Park is a 1-mile away. It’s even convenient for healthcare—our clinic is 6 blocks from our house. As for schools, we don’t have kids, but the L'Etoile du Nord FrenchImmersion School is nearby and we hear it’s pretty good. And if we really need to shop at big box stores, Maplewood malls are a short drive. All in all we’ve really enjoyed the area. We like that it’s quieter here than Minneapolis, but when we want the nightlife, it’s easy to commute there.

With that being said, honestly Payne-Phalen is rough in a lot of ways, but it’s also great. It looks rough on some streets due to foreclosures and places being used as rentals, but there are some good ones. (Of course, that also means there are beautiful houses for sale that young people can afford.) The only bad experience I’ve had was with a group of wily youths. If you use common sense, get an alarm system, be respectful, and lock your doors, you should be all right—but we did this in Madison, too. If you see something say something. Yes, there are shootings here, but there are also shootings in Hamline and other neighborhoods. I would say this is a neighborhood for young-ish people/ artists/alternative sorts willing to look past the grit and searching for an affordable home to make their own (fix-up) and perhaps get involved in the community! The Eastside Community Development Corporation is a great resources to get in contact with to find out more information on the area.

If you’ve read this far…

Besides the hyperlinks in the text here are some other links:

Payne Phalen- Payne Phalen District Five Planning Council Home Page

Ramsey crime map- St. Paul Crime Maps - Saint Paul, MN Crime Reports & Statistics by Neighborhood

Mississippi Market- Mississippi Market takes on St. Paul's East Side in biggest venture ever - TwinCities.com

New businesses- http://eastsidereviewnews.com/articles/2015/07/26/entrepreneur-tunes-payne-ave-restaurant-buzz#.Vdtr5EXdm0Y

Last edited by Sturgeon21; 08-24-2015 at 02:49 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 03:27 PM

442 posts, read 485,125 times
Thanks for your very thorough review and input. Often people have bad memories of living in certain neighborhoods because their only experiences were driving from home to work and back home again. You've had a better experience because you've gotten to know your neighbors, have gotten involved in what's going on outside of your property lines and clearly care about what's going on on your street. There's a lesson for others to learn from right there.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:35 AM

Thanks, I hope this is a useful post for people deciding whether or not to move here.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:39 PM

1 posts, read 5,926 times
I live in this neighborhood, too, and I love it. I also know a lot of my neighbors. Another big plus is Lake Phalen, which is beautiful, and has a divided bike/walking path and lots of spaces for picnics, volleyball, etc. I find the neighborhood very convenient, with close grocery stores and restaurants, close to downtown, easy to get to commuting arterials. I do wish there was a cafe closer to my house, but that's not a big deal. I have friends who live in south Minneapolis, but they're a lot farther from grocery stores, and the homes are much more expensive. I see a lot of younger people moving into this neighborhood, and I really think it's coming up.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalculateRegion View Post
I live in this neighborhood, too, and I love it. I also know a lot of my neighbors. Another big plus is Lake Phalen, which is beautiful, and has a divided bike/walking path and lots of spaces for picnics, volleyball, etc. I find the neighborhood very convenient, with close grocery stores and restaurants, close to downtown, easy to get to commuting arterials. I do wish there was a cafe closer to my house, but that's not a big deal. I have friends who live in south Minneapolis, but they're a lot farther from grocery stores, and the homes are much more expensive. I see a lot of younger people moving into this neighborhood, and I really think it's coming up.
Thanks for reading and taking the time to comment. Please, if you have other tidbits of info other people might find useful chime back in.
As for the Payne Phalen location I'm not sure what people mean when they say it's hard to get to... It's pretty much accessible to major roads and amenities. If I want to shop at big box places like Costco, Menards, and Farm & Fleet they are just up 61 (Arcade st.) with the mall not very far away. Being close to Lake Phalen is a certainly a plus!!! We actually just went there for the first time a few days ago and it's awesome!! Really sad we didn't go earlier in the year. I was thinking it was actually even better than some of the parks in Minneapolis and less crowded. Yeah, a coffee shop would be nice besides Swede Hollow; however, I think I read of one opening soon on Payne Ave.

Old 08-27-2015, 04:00 PM

3,663 posts, read 7,979,014 times
That is not the worst neighborhood in St. Paul, you need to explore some other areas. I lived in St. Paul 20 years ago and the demographics have changed neighborhoods quite a bit.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:17 AM

200 posts, read 547,552 times
I appreciate this post. Many parts of St Paul are on the rise. Housing is finally being built on Rivoli Bluff (the Railroad Island neighborhood), Lowertown, West 7th, some areas along the Green Line...things have been slower to develop in this town, but changes are finally happening and I am looking forward to the future.

Old 08-30-2015, 06:08 PM

Thank you Silverjet. I agree, I too am looking forward to seeing what's planned for the area. It's such an untapped region with awesome old buildings. I personally would like to see more businesses go into the Hamm's building....maybe lofts, other restaurants, a bike shop, community work space or a large fitness facility.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:22 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,026,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturgeon21 View Post
I was recently doing some research about statistics on Payne-Phalen and I came across some threads about this neighborhood—mostly bad anecdotal stories, or things from the news, but few with actual personal experiences. I can give an opinion because I actually live here and choose to live here.

I recently moved to Payne-Phalen with my partner knowing we were moving to the "worst" neighborhood in St. Paul. We moved from a cushy, sleepy, predominately white neighborhood in Madison, WI ...boring. The reason decided to take a chance and move is that we didn't have kids, and we fell in love with the house we purchased—and we got it for a good deal. We are relatively young, and we enjoy art, urban gardening, vintage clothing, cycling etc. When we moved here we expected the worst, based on other people’s stories. However, moving to this neighborhood has been awesome. The fact that it is a challenging neighborhood creates an atmosphere where the good people stick together and a lot participate in the community. We know our neighbors and look out for one another. In the 7 years I lived in Madison, I barely knew our neighbors. But here, most close neighbors came over to introduce themselves when we moved in. One neighbor here has a 4th of July party every year, provides all the food and beverages and invites the community to partake. Another neighbor has been our plant guru and we trade plants back and forth. We have others that do volunteer teaching for the schools etc. One couple started pocket parks and participates and organizes community gardening events. When we sit on our front porch, people stop by to chat, and random strangers wave. The more homeowners we get in the area, the better it will become.

Here are the positives: We have some great restaurants. There are more coming soon, but for now there’s Tongue in Cheek, Ward 6, Eastside Thai, Cook, Plaza Del Sol, not to mention the Strip Club, Urban Organics and the Flat Earth Brewery in the not-so-far-away Dayton’s Bluff neighborhood. I haven’t been to these restaurants, but others like Yarusso Bros Italian and Magnolia’s. There’s also the Bymore and a cute Mexican bakery, and food trucks on Payne. Also close by are TWO Hmong villages, with great food. If you like to exercise there is a large YMCA with a pool, nearby on Arcade Street. I go to the YMCA, but I also to the YWCA near the Cathedral. There’s also a small library on Phalen, and a gym that costs $30 a year (!!) at the community center. The new Mississippi Market Co-op is about 1.4 miles away from our house—so convenient, and it’s huge, but if that’s not your style there’s also Cub Foods. Swede Hollow Café is near the Co-op and they’ve been there for 20 years, offering great food and coffee. What is also convenient is access to downtown Saint Paul and major freeways. I work in South Minneapolis and it takes me maybe 4-5 min to hop on the 94 to 35W. Seriously, the accessibility is a bonus. There has been talk about more development of transit options around the area, like Rush Line. My partner and I ride bikes to Lowertown Saint Paul for the farmer’s market, Saint Paul Art Crawl and Bedlam Theater—downtown is less than 2 miles away, mostly by bike path, through Swede Hollow! CHS field is also downtown, and of course there are lots of eating and shopping options downtown. In the other direction, Lake Phalen is less than 2 miles away, for sailing, canoeing and biking. The Arlington-Arkwright Dog Park is a 1-mile away. It’s even convenient for healthcare—our clinic is 6 blocks from our house. As for schools, we don’t have kids, but the L'Etoile du Nord FrenchImmersion School is nearby and we hear it’s pretty good. And if we really need to shop at big box stores, Maplewood malls are a short drive. All in all we’ve really enjoyed the area. We like that it’s quieter here than Minneapolis, but when we want the nightlife, it’s easy to commute there.

With that being said, honestly Payne-Phalen is rough in a lot of ways, but it’s also great. It looks rough on some streets due to foreclosures and places being used as rentals, but there are some good ones. (Of course, that also means there are beautiful houses for sale that young people can afford.) The only bad experience I’ve had was with a group of wily youths. If you use common sense, get an alarm system, be respectful, and lock your doors, you should be all right—but we did this in Madison, too. If you see something say something. Yes, there are shootings here, but there are also shootings in Hamline and other neighborhoods. I would say this is a neighborhood for young-ish people/ artists/alternative sorts willing to look past the grit and searching for an affordable home to make their own (fix-up) and perhaps get involved in the community! The Eastside Community Development Corporation is a great resources to get in contact with to find out more information on the area.

If you’ve read this far…

Besides the hyperlinks in the text here are some other links:

Payne Phalen- Payne Phalen District Five Planning Council Home Page

Ramsey crime map- St. Paul Crime Maps - Saint Paul, MN Crime Reports & Statistics by Neighborhood

Mississippi Market- Mississippi Market takes on St. Paul's East Side in biggest venture ever - TwinCities.com

New businesses- http://eastsidereviewnews.com/articles/2015/07/26/entrepreneur-tunes-payne-ave-restaurant-buzz#.Vdtr5EXdm0Y

Do you want to pay that for me? Do you know how expensive that is?

Old 09-02-2015, 08:52 PM

320 posts, read 759,803 times
Keep in mind that a "bad" neighborhood by MSP standards is equivalent to an average neighborhood by US national urban standards. MSP is a really nice, low-crime metro area by national standards. The subject neighborhood is low-end ("bad") by MSP standards but in other metro areas would probably be considered average and livable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul