Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 07:07 PM

520 posts, read 771,942 times

Advertisements

Well, weather its due to lead, (sounds like correlation not causation to me) lack of police presence (YES!!!) or some other mysterious factor, downtown's hottest growth industry is still thriving.

There were 37 robberies in Downtown West in August this year, versus 20 last year.

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/www/...s1p-148628.pdf

For what its worth, and I'm assuming that's nothing, the mayor says "everyone deserves to be safe." How quaint.

After spike in gun violence, Mpls. Mayor says ‘everyone deserves to be safe’ - BringMeTheNews.com

It appears the uselessness starts at the top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 08:23 AM

Three In Custody After Six People Shot In Downtown Minneapolis « CBS Minnesota

In case mere robberies aren't violent enough for you.

Old 09-12-2015, 08:27 AM

25,768 posts, read 16,382,848 times
TEN people shot in Minneapolis last night. TEN and look at the Star Trib, barely a mention of it on the front page.

StarTribune.com: News, weather, sports from Minneapolis, St. Paul and Minnesota

You have to look for other news sources other than our communist propaganda rag to actually find out what is going on. Liberal leadership and liberal news coverage have a big hand in what is happening in Minneapolis, which used to be a really nice place.

10 people shot

Old 09-12-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestRedux View Post
Three In Custody After Six People Shot In Downtown Minneapolis « CBS Minnesota

In case mere robberies aren't violent enough for you.
I'm sure Chief Tan in a Can will get on it and solve it for us. As Donald Trump would say the city is run by stupid people.

Old 09-12-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
TEN people shot in Minneapolis last night. TEN and look at the Star Trib, barely a mention of it on the front page.

StarTribune.com: News, weather, sports from Minneapolis, St. Paul and Minnesota

You have to look for other news sources other than our communist propaganda rag to actually find out what is going on. Liberal leadership and liberal news coverage have a big hand in what is happening in Minneapolis, which used to be a really nice place.

10 people shot
Whether it is due to politics or not, I agree that the media is a humongous part of the problem in sweeping this issue under the rug. The unofficial stance of the police, city government and media seems to be, "if we don't tell people there is an explosion of crime going on downtown, people will never know. until they get robbed, or no someone that got robbed..."

I have tried to focus this thread on the ridiculous crime wave in Downtown West to try and prevent all of the deniers and apologists from sidetracking the conversation. The favored excuses seem to be, "crime is up everywhere" and "in busy places, it might seem like there is a lot of crime based on raw numbers, but statistically..."

Neither those or any of the other excuses people have offered justify or explain what is going on. The police don't want to fight it, the media doesn't want to report it and if C/D forums are any indicator, most people don't want to hear about, talk about it or even acknowledge that its happening.

For the last two months there have been average of about 1.5 robberies per day (80 in total) in a small area that represents the commercial, economic and entertainment hub of Minneapolis. This is also where six people were shot last night.

Go look around on the internet. How many people were shot last night on Michigan Ave or Rush Street in "crime ridden" Chicago? or in the heart of downtown Milwaukee, St Louis, Kansas City, Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Indianapolis or Manhattan? Almost all of those cities face greater challenges with poverty and crime as a whole.

The difference is that their city leaders aren't either completely stupid or negligent and they realize that even if large swaths of their cities are overrun with crime and violence, its probably worth their time and effort to keep the neighborhoods that represent the economic engines of their city SAFE.

I don't know if I am bothered more by the incompetence of our leaders or the apathy of our populace. Anyway you cut it, this whole situation is an absolute disgrace.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:21 PM

871 posts, read 1,082,387 times
Quote:

This is the kind of idiotic nonsense that makes so much of this thread look like concern trolling.

Yes, there is an upwards spike in crime from its current 30 year low.

And yes, politics is clearly being played here, just not from the quarter you assume it is.

Minneapolis has been a liberal city for decades. It was liberal during the time when crime was plummeting. It's liberal now that there is a spike. By no rational measure can a cause have two opposite effects.

Clearly this spike in crime is being discussed,

- Minneapolis Mayor Says Violence Must Stop | KSTP TV - Minneapolis and St. Paul -

you just don't like the solutions being proffered. I'm not sure what you expect to happen - is someone supposed to flip a switch to turn crime off immediately, and if they don't then they're "not taking it seriously"? Sorry, but using the police to harass black teenagers out of downtown is the kind of 'solution' that rightfully gets you ignored and discounted. Most of us understand that crime is a difficult and complex issue and can't be solved over night.

The 'broken window' policing approach coincided with a nationwide drop in crime, including in cities that did not implement the same approach and evidence to support or discount it is mixed.

Broken Windows Policing | Center for Evidence-Based Crime Policy

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/04/op...cing.html?_r=0

This whole thread seems like it's been written by hyper-charged amygdala with a forum account

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...in-study-finds

Just because we're not all joining the hysteria band wagon doesn't mean the issue is being ignored or swept under the rug. The knee-jerk response of curtailing other people's constitutional rights as well as their sense of having a rightful place in our community is counter productive and just plain odious.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedosius View Post
This is the kind of idiotic nonsense that makes so much of this thread look like concern trolling.

And yes, politics is clearly being played here, just not from the quarter you assume it is.

Minneapolis has been a liberal city for decades. It was liberal during the time when crime was plummeting. It's liberal now that there is a spike. By no rational measure can a cause have two opposite effects.

Clearly this spike in crime is being discussed,

- Minneapolis Mayor Says Violence Must Stop | KSTP TV - Minneapolis and St. Paul -

you just don't like the solutions being proffered. I'm not sure what you expect to happen - is someone supposed to flip a switch to turn crime off immediately, and if they don't then they're "not taking it seriously"? Sorry, but using the police to harass black teenagers out of downtown is the kind of 'solution' that rightfully gets you ignored and discounted. Most of us understand that crime is a difficult and complex issue and can't be solved over night.

The 'broken window' policing approach coincided with a nationwide drop in crime, including in cities that did not implement the same approach and evidence to support or discount it is mixed.

Broken Windows Policing | Center for Evidence-Based Crime Policy

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/04/op...cing.html?_r=0

This whole thread seems like it's been written by hyper-charged amygdala with a forum account

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...in-study-finds

Just because we're not all joining the hysteria band wagon doesn't mean the issue is being ignored or swept under the rug. The knee-jerk response of curtailing other people's constitutional rights as well as their sense of having a rightful place in our community is counter productive and just plain odious.
I don't even know where to start with you and frankly I don't have the time. You are either in complete denial or a paid schill for the city of Minneapolis.

The city has become a cesspool and the cops are more afraid of the city leadership than they are of the armed thugs destroying downtown.

NOBODY who actually works for a living rides that stupid light rail because they don't want to get mugged or raped. So they are back on the express buses which they should have stuck with anyway.

And the rail system they built? Ridiculous, has to stop at stoplights! Everything Minneapolis does is STUPID. The best word I can come up with. St Paul may not be much better but their leadership looks like Einstein in comparison.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:49 PM

5,833 posts, read 7,665,225 times
Don't look for the mayor to do anything. She's at a global warming conference. The city is supposed to keep the peace and pick up the garbage. At least they're doing the second.

Old 09-12-2015, 02:00 PM

687 posts, read 1,250,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedosius View Post

I'm guessing you didn't actually look at the data. Here are robberies for August in Downtown West for all years since 1999:

1999: 16
2000: 26
2001: 13
2002: 18
2003: 10
2004: 8
2005: 9
2006: 16
2007: 7
2008: 18
2009: 12
2010: 15
2011: 15
2012: 18
2013: 25
2014: 20
2015: 37

Old 09-12-2015, 03:38 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,646,988 times
Quote:
I don't even know where to start with you and frankly I don't have the time. You are either in complete denial or a paid schill for the city of Minneapolis.

The city has become a cesspool and the cops are more afraid of the city leadership than they are of the armed thugs destroying downtown.

NOBODY who actually works for a living rides that stupid light rail because they don't want to get mugged or raped. So they are back on the express buses which they should have stuck with anyway.

And the rail system they built? Ridiculous, has to stop at stoplights! Everything Minneapolis does is STUPID. The best word I can come up with. St Paul may not be much better but their leadership looks like Einstein in comparison.
This has to be the most ignorant post that I have seen on this forum in quite some time. Do you even live in the Twin Cities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul