Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 19,507 times

Advertisements

Hello! We are a married mid-20's couple in St. Paul, and have been on a search for a suitable church for our needs, but have been very unsuccessful in finding what we are looking for! It seems like most of the churches around here are either very theologically conservative OR they don't have any sort of community for young adults. We've narrowed down what we're looking for to four major criteria:

In order of decreasing importance:
1. Liberal theology (i.e. the Bible is not the end-all-be-all of religion, a sense of pluralism, a reconciling community where people of all sexaulities are welcome, etc.)
2. A group of young adults... it doesn't have to be a church where MOST of the members are young adults, but at least one where there's a small community of people who do stuff together
3. Contemporary music - not a huge fan of hymns and choirs, although some of that is okay
4. Meets on Sunday evenings

Anyone know of such a place in the twin cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 03:48 PM

17 posts, read 82,849 times
Your list immediately makes me think of Upper Room Community Church, though they meet in Edina which is probably too far from your St. Paul community. If you would like to check it out, they meet at Christ Presbyterian Church (Hwy. 100 and W. 70th Street) with 2 Sunday evening services -- one at 5:00 (the only one with child care and children's church) and another at 7:00.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:27 PM

16 posts, read 115,512 times
The Unitarian/Universalist churches tend to be very liberal. I used to attend the one in St. Paul on Holly Ave. and really liked it. I don't know if they have Sunday evening services. I think the latest is at 4:30 -- they also have a Wed. evening service. It is definitely worth a look.

Unity Church-Unitarian

There is also a larger Universalist church in Minneapolis.

First Universalist Church of Minneapolis

I have heard good things about it, but have no personal experience with it.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:35 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by excelsiorgal View Post
The Unitarian/Universalist churches tend to be very liberal. I used to attend the one in St. Paul on Holly Ave. and really liked it. I don't know if they have Sunday evening services. I think the latest is at 4:30 -- they also have a Wed. evening service. It is definitely worth a look.

Unity Church-Unitarian

There is also a larger Universalist church in Minneapolis.

First Universalist Church of Minneapolis

I have heard good things about it, but have no personal experience with it.
Hey! You took the words right out of my mouth. Almost literally.

I don't know much about either one, to be honest, but I've talked to a few folks from the first church and they seem to be quite open-minded about a fair number of issues.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:21 AM

1 posts, read 18,694 times
you could try the "House of Mercy" sessions held on Exchange st. or, for a different vibe altogether, you might want to go to Mpls. on Upton ave in the Linden Hills neighborhood (I think its called the Lake Harriet Spiritual Center) for a very progressive, open minded bunch! Hope this helps you!

Old 10-27-2008, 02:47 PM

120 posts, read 470,556 times
Joan of Arc in S. Mpls

Old 10-27-2008, 06:55 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wil45 View Post
Joan of Arc in S. Mpls
I was going to suggest the same church. Also, St Cecelia's in St Paul is sort of a smaller version of St Joan's

Old 02-11-2010, 06:04 PM

1 posts, read 16,372 times
Default Mike Hoeschen

Quote:
Originally Posted by katesworld View Post
Hello! We are a married mid-20's couple in St. Paul, and have been on a search for a suitable church for our needs, but have been very unsuccessful in finding what we are looking for! It seems like most of the churches around here are either very theologically conservative OR they don't have any sort of community for young adults. We've narrowed down what we're looking for to four major criteria:

1. Liberal theology (i.e. the Bible is not the end-all-be-all of religion, a sense of pluralism, a reconciling community where people of all sexaulities are welcome, etc.)
2. A group of young adults... it doesn't have to be a church where MOST of the members are young adults, but at least one where there's a small community of people who do stuff together
3. Contemporary music - not a huge fan of hymns and choirs, although some of that is okay

Yes, you might try Woodland Hills Church at Larpentuer and White Bear Ave. in St. Paul or Eagle Brook Church just north of White Bear Lake at NE corner of Buffalo St. and Hwy 61. You also could check for Eagle Brook Church in Spring Lake Park.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:45 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I was going to suggest the same church. Also, St Cecelia's in St Paul is sort of a smaller version of St Joan's
We used to be members of St. Cecelia's many years ago. It is still my favorite parish. I am sure things have changed quite a bit but we liked it a lot back then.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:54 PM

1 posts, read 14,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katesworld View Post

This does not meet your criteria of evening worship, but fits all the rest. Cherokee Park United Church. Check out their website at cherokeeparkunited.org
It has adopted the Eight Points of Progressive Christianity so can officially and openly commit to equality of all. It is located close to the high bridge. Worship is at 10:15 Sunday mornings, but there is some type of service involvement going on just about every day. We just joined there last fall and since it's a small congregation we know half of the group by name already, and vice versa. A nice mix of ages. And comfortable for all including the more introvert personality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul