Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2015, 05:32 PM

49 posts, read 81,004 times

Advertisements

Just a food for thought provoking question. Many places depending on where you live have either good access to healthy food or a lot of fast food restaurants. What suburbs or neighborhoods in Minneapolis Metro have the highest percentage of healthy people and the highest percentage of overweight people. This difference might be a sign of the residence willingness to stay healthy vs not.

My honest guess of the healthiest cities would either be Eden Prairie or Edina. And the fattest cities would probably be Maplewood or Coon Rapids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 06:32 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,597,839 times
I think it really depends on how active the person is, regardless of the season.

Eating healthy is the most important not a bunch of fast food.

I think each neighborhood should have easy to get to food places that offer good food, maybe more farmer markets, or food coops.

Soon in a month and a half or so, the temps may very well fall to the 0 or below, -10F, it is coming get out and embrace the winter.

Chic Peas, not sure if that is spelled correct, has protein, fiber, and calcium and is very good.

Last edited by demtion35; 09-24-2015 at 06:52 PM..

Old 09-24-2015, 06:50 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post

Chic Peas, not sure if that is spelled correct, has protein, fiber, and calcium and is very good.
One cannot live on chickpeas alone....and being "very good" is a matter of opinion. One can only consume so much hummus (the only way I can tolerate chickpeas).

Old 09-24-2015, 06:56 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,597,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
One cannot live on chickpeas alone....and being "very good" is a matter of opinion. One can only consume so much hummus (the only way I can tolerate chickpeas).
Yes, it was only used as an example, chickpeas and there are of course many other foods. I just used it as an example,

Old 09-24-2015, 07:00 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,771,178 times
Healthiest cities or areas are Linden Hills, Uptown and Edina I would say. Most unhealthy probably parts of Minneapolis (think inner city-sorry folks that's the sad reality...) and Brooklyn Park. Racially as much as I hate the race card there are definite differences based upon race for mortality rates from cancer, diabetes and heart disease. I'm not going to go so far as to say it's someones fault or anyone's fault but those are just sheer facts.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:19 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,049,410 times
Being overweight and being healthy are not polar opposites. Many people who are overweight are relatively healthy, while many people of average or below-average weight are unhealthy.

Whether you are talking about an overall lack of health in general, or obesity in particular, both are strongly correlated to poverty. Thus economically poor areas within the core cities of Minneapolis and St Paul, as well as a handful of older inner-ring suburbs, are likely to have the highest percentages of unhealthy and/or obese individuals.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:59 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
I don't know about the Twin Cities in specific, but there are correlations between weight and the design of a neighborhood. Specifically, car-centric locations where people out of necessity have to spend a lot more time in the car tend to be heavier than neighborhoods where people are able to walk more. It would be interesting to know which suburbs/cities have the highest percentage of people commuting the longest distances, as one measure, and if that correlates to higher levels of obesity. Seems like it would make sense that the more time you're spending sitting in traffic, the less time you have for exercise (at the gym or just walking around the neighborhood), and the more likely you're also likely to just go the easier route and pick up fast food or take-out for supper rather than muster up the time and energy to cook a healthy meal.

Some interesting food for thought on the topic:

We Don't Know Nearly As Much About the Link Between Public Health and Urban Planning As We Think We Do - CityLab

Even Controlling For Poverty, Urban Places Are Thinner Than Suburbs | Planetizen: The Urban Planning, Design, and Development Network

Old 09-25-2015, 08:46 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
Eating healthy is expensive, and the most wealthy n'hoods or suburbs are likely to be the places with the healthiest people -- skinny or slightly overweight. Conversely, the poorest areas tend to have the worst nutrition habits and primarily because unhealthy food stacked with calories is often the cheapest (and tastiest) food. It's not a perfect correlation, but that's how I'd look at it if I was trying to be objective. Naturally, there are going to be people who eat incredibly unhealthy foods and don't take care of themselves that live in wealthy areas, and vice versa, but in general, wealth = health.

Old 09-25-2015, 06:49 PM

119 posts, read 144,866 times
I'd be tempted, a la min-chi-cbus, to simple follow the money and see how that relates to the waist line. It takes education and wealth to be healthy in today's US. To some degree, health and fitness might be best thought of as a class marker?

Old 09-25-2015, 07:03 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,370,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Eating healthy is expensive, and the most wealthy n'hoods or suburbs are likely to be the places with the healthiest people -- skinny or slightly overweight. Conversely, the poorest areas tend to have the worst nutrition habits and primarily because unhealthy food stacked with calories is often the cheapest (and tastiest) food. It's not a perfect correlation, but that's how I'd look at it if I was trying to be objective. Naturally, there are going to be people who eat incredibly unhealthy foods and don't take care of themselves that live in wealthy areas, and vice versa, but in general, wealth = health.
Quote:
Originally Posted by montymontage View Post
I'd be tempted, a la min-chi-cbus, to simple follow the money and see how that relates to the waist line. It takes education and wealth to be healthy in today's US. To some degree, health and fitness might be best thought of as a class marker?
Both of you above actually see the thread to what actually feeds much of the obesity in the free world..The poor left finding calories ( tho empty calories) for quick foods that capitalism has made this type of Food as the most affordable for the poor..Yet..these poor and low income get blamed for not eating appropriately and healthy...TALK about judgemental and speaking out of their collective A$$holes to something they have NO CLUE about!! These blamers simply find it far too easy to blame those suffering for their own problems..Talk about hypocrisy..There's so many sayings..BUT unless you or anyone has walked in those shoes..kindly ****..because as it has been said "YOU KNOW NOT OF WHAT YOU SPEAK" comes to mind!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul