Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 05:40 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times

Advertisements

In a state where education is king, Minnesota that is consistently one of the top 5 states in the union for education, Minneapolis is a complete embarrassment. And it's a good place to get mugged or raped or stabbed or murdered now too.

So sad, Minneapolis used to be a really nice place. Now it's closer to Baltimore than it is to New York, a city that Minneapolis emulates.

http://www.startribune.com/study-les...ool/331138181/

Last edited by PullMyFinger; 10-07-2015 at 05:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 06:40 PM

119 posts, read 144,963 times
i'm so far from a Minneapolis booster; in fact, when i point out the boosting on other threads, the threads vanish...in any event, you're full of rot son! pull your own finger and go from there.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:59 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
In a state where education is king, Minnesota that is consistently one of the top 5 states in the union for education, Minneapolis is a complete embarrassment. And it's a good place to get mugged or raped or stabbed or murdered now too.

So sad, Minneapolis used to be a really nice place. Now it's closer to Baltimore than it is to New York, a city that Minneapolis emulates.

Minneapolis has lowest graduation rate compared to 50 other major cities - StarTribune.com
Yeah, it looks like a public education systems segregated by race and economic status doesn't work very well, at least not for those at the bottom of the pile. I wonder why it's allowed to continue. Who has an interest in maintaining the status quo in the face of failure?

Old 10-07-2015, 11:32 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,095,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post

Minneapolis has lowest graduation rate compared to 50 other major cities - StarTribune.com
Did you notice the mention of New York's comparably dismal scores on this metric?

Anyway, yes: this has been a problem for years. Graduation rates for MPS chart a bit higher, but a study that includes students in charters around the city is much more sincere.

Does this include students open-enrolling in other districts? That has been shown to have a net negative impact on academic achievement, as well.

Last edited by srsmn; 10-07-2015 at 11:42 PM..

Old 10-07-2015, 11:42 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,095,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montymontage View Post
i'm so far from a Minneapolis booster; in fact, when i point out the boosting on other threads, the threads vanish...in any event, you're full of rot son! pull your own finger and go from there.
Really? When did that happen?

Old 10-08-2015, 07:58 AM

182 posts, read 197,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Yeah, it looks like a public education systems segregated by race and economic status doesn't work very well, at least not for those at the bottom of the pile. I wonder why it's allowed to continue. Who has an interest in maintaining the status quo in the face of failure?
I think there's some truth in this.

An easy question to answer, though. It's the ones who are successful who are interested in maintaining the status quo because somehow they think that surrounding themselves with others exactly like them is what has made them successful. And they have tremendous power to keep things that way.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:08 AM

34 posts, read 50,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Not sure how you figure race plays into this. Wouldn't that just be admitting that races have more differences than just their skin color? I'll let you guys decide.

As far as economic status, sure it comes into play - as wealthy families are more likely to be able to take an active role in their children's education. But that's what it's really about - parent involvement. It is no secret that families with 2 parents generally raise more academically successful students. So, rather than focusing on things like "segregation" and funding for schools - we should be promoting families staying together and being involved in their child's education.

In my honest opinion, fix the families, that will fix education.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:13 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftside View Post
Not sure how you figure race plays into this. Wouldn't that just be admitting that races have more differences than just their skin color? I'll let you guys decide.

As far as economic status, sure it comes into play - as wealthy families are more likely to be able to take an active role in their children's education. But that's what it's really about - parent involvement. It is no secret that families with 2 parents generally raise more academically successful students. So, rather than focusing on things like "segregation" and funding for schools - we should be promoting families staying together and being involved in their child's education.

I've been ripped by liberals for suggesting the family is the problem. In their utopia there is no mother or father, just parents 1,2 and 3 if necessary and the child is raised by big guvmint. What happened to the dream?

Old 10-08-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathedralhill1 View Post
I think there's some truth in this.

An easy question to answer, though. It's the ones who are successful who are interested in maintaining the status quo because somehow they think that surrounding themselves with others exactly like them is what has made them successful. And they have tremendous power to keep things that way.
I think you're right when you focus on "the ones who are successful" as the ones responsible for perpetuating the system, but let's look beyond wealthy parents and students. The administrators of a failed school system are still paid a lot of money and have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo. How many administration and school board jobs could be eliminated if we went to a county-wide school district system? Potentially a lot, so those people sure don't want to see any structural changes.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftside View Post

Race plays into it because there is a correlation between race and economic status. I agree that the family structure is the key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul