Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 08:17 AM

878 posts, read 1,207,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane12345 View Post
Wow, tough crowd. Everything I know about Bloomington I learned on this forum.

Thanks for all the great info, especially ellysbelly for the detailed write-up on the various suburbs, it is super helpful. We will definitely be renting for a while, but would like to not change school districts again; hence the intense research from across the miles.
In your defense, many of the threads about Bloomington indicate that it's not usually the "best" option (though I think that they've often lumped the entirety of Bloomington together, when it seems that the west side is on par with most of the other suburbs that you're considering-- a detail that, as a newcomer, would easily be missed!)

Welcome to MN, let us know if you have any additional questions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 09:18 AM

29 posts, read 44,617 times
Of the places you mentioned I'd pick west Bloomington. The fact that you're working in west bloomington makes this a no brainer. Great schools and neighborhoods, biggest park in the area right there. I'm missing something why you look elsewhere. Bloomington is the 3rd biggest city in the state so comparing west and east bloomington is like comparing Edina and Eden prairies- totally different. If you don't mind living in a dump for a while as you fix it up then Edina is a good option too.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:37 AM

76 posts, read 108,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellysbelly View Post
In your defense, many of the threads about Bloomington indicate that it's not usually the "best" option (though I think that they've often lumped the entirety of Bloomington together, when it seems that the west side is on par with most of the other suburbs that you're considering-- a detail that, as a newcomer, would easily be missed!)

Welcome to MN, let us know if you have any additional questions!
Exactly, I've read a ton of threads and there are many that state Bloomington isn't as nice as the surrounding towns. So since I've never been there myself, I'm basing my questions on what is stated here.

Duly noted that PWB is on par with EP, Minnetonka, and just a step below Edina.

Any thoughts on airport noise in West Bloomington? We live near the airport now and I know some people get used to it, but that hasn't been the case for us.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:57 AM

219 posts, read 313,484 times
That area of Bloomington has close to zero jet noise which actually can't be said of some of the more desirable areas like Edina and SW Minneapolis.

Old 11-11-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
That area of Bloomington has close to zero jet noise which actually can't be said of some of the more desirable areas like Edina and SW Minneapolis.
Great, thank you Tipsy!

Old 11-11-2015, 12:53 PM

I've done some more research on Bloomington and can see that schools are rated much higher on the west side. We will definitely be looking at West Bloomington, thanks to everyone for the helpful posts.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:32 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,139,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
I don't think this pertains to West Bloomington.

Old 11-11-2015, 05:53 PM

878 posts, read 1,207,549 times
In (much) earlier threads, there was a map of airport noise that was posted-- you might be able to find it if you search the threads. If I find it, I'll post it.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:11 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,142,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellysbelly View Post
In (much) earlier threads, there was a map of airport noise that was posted-- you might be able to find it if you search the threads. If I find it, I'll post it.

flight tracker

MAC Flight Tracker

Old 02-02-2016, 10:12 PM

55 posts, read 79,702 times
Where did you end up? Funny, W. Bloomington (but the area with sidewalks) is one of my top choices - Eden Prairie etc. is way too far away for me. I was surprised you didn't want to be there if you were working there - I used to work in that same Normandale complex and thought the proximity to nice lakes and parks was lovely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul