Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 08:33 AM

760 posts, read 882,699 times

Advertisements

I think if you are able to change your mindset, and embrace the new location, you will be just fine.

It seems like the people who are always unhappy with moving to a new city are those who cannot adjust themselves to change. They are only able to compare everything to their home, or comfort zone, and end up feeling constantly disappointed or lost.

You are coming from LA, so you will not only notice weather differences, but cultural ones as well (big ones). People in the Midwest like to live modest, humble lives. So you are going to notice that there are far less people who brag, think highly of themselves, or talk about what they do and how much they make...people really don't care. People also don't care as much about material possessions or fashion. This is a place where you can go to the bar downtown in snow bib overalls, and a dirty hoody, and no one will bat an eye. I'm not saying that you are stereotypically west coast or anything, but I would highly recommend being careful with how you interact with others, as the "showy" attitude will be very off putting.

I spent some time in Vegas and have experienced the influx of LA resident flooding in the city. The Vegas locals would always get irritated at the attitude from the LA folks. They would come in and take things as their own, complain about everything and how it's not as good as LA (insert "there's no In and Out here"), and brag about everything about their life back home. If someone from LA sticks out that much in a city like Vegas, and can't imagine how a MN native would respond.

And sorry if it seems like I am making generalizations about you, I just want to give you some insight.

Good luck on your move! If you are willing to give it all a chance, the natives will do the same for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 02:37 PM

26 posts, read 20,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
I think if you are able to change your mindset, and embrace the new location, you will be just fine.

It seems like the people who are always unhappy with moving to a new city are those who cannot adjust themselves to change. They are only able to compare everything to their home, or comfort zone, and end up feeling constantly disappointed or lost.

You are coming from LA, so you will not only notice weather differences, but cultural ones as well (big ones). People in the Midwest like to live modest, humble lives. So you are going to notice that there are far less people who brag, think highly of themselves, or talk about what they do and how much they make...people really don't care. People also don't care as much about material possessions or fashion. This is a place where you can go to the bar downtown in snow bib overalls, and a dirty hoody, and no one will bat an eye. I'm not saying that you are stereotypically west coast or anything, but I would highly recommend being careful with how you interact with others, as the "showy" attitude will be very off putting.

I spent some time in Vegas and have experienced the influx of LA resident flooding in the city. The Vegas locals would always get irritated at the attitude from the LA folks. They would come in and take things as their own, complain about everything and how it's not as good as LA (insert "there's no In and Out here"), and brag about everything about their life back home. If someone from LA sticks out that much in a city like Vegas, and can't imagine how a MN native would respond.

And sorry if it seems like I am making generalizations about you, I just want to give you some insight.

Good luck on your move! If you are willing to give it all a chance, the natives will do the same for you.
Thank you for that insight. I'd like to be able to have a connection with people out there, not necessarily expecting life long friends just connections I cannot find with people out here. And making the best out of my college experience. I will be visiting Saint Paul sometime May and on but before August so that I can see what it's like. I live/grew up 30 miles outside of Los Angeles so even the people are a little different out here then in Los Angeles. But also people can have that attitude of LA here, that's the reason I hate going out in LA everyone is so stuck up. And I only imagined that people would be more laid back in Saint Paul, something I can't find in people here very often. On Christmas I told my cousin that I'm going to Saint Paul for school who lives in LA, his response was rather stupid "No one wants to go there, it's cold there." And I told him I didn't want to live in a car for the rest of my life in traffic in LA. lol you're so right about people using the "in n out" line so dumb.

Old 01-14-2016, 03:25 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,067,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildheartv View Post
Thank you for that insight. I'd like to be able to have a connection with people out there, not necessarily expecting life long friends just connections I cannot find with people out here. And making the best out of my college experience. I will be visiting Saint Paul sometime May and on but before August so that I can see what it's like. I live/grew up 30 miles outside of Los Angeles so even the people are a little different out here then in Los Angeles. But also people can have that attitude of LA here, that's the reason I hate going out in LA everyone is so stuck up. And I only imagined that people would be more laid back in Saint Paul, something I can't find in people here very often. On Christmas I told my cousin that I'm going to Saint Paul for school who lives in LA, his response was rather stupid "No one wants to go there, it's cold there." And I told him I didn't want to live in a car for the rest of my life in traffic in LA. lol you're so right about people using the "in n out" line so dumb.
I miss In and Out ... they made a damn good burger. I was also quite fond of El Pollo Loco.

Now, I am hungry.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:44 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,411,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
I miss In and Out ... they made a damn good burger. I was also quite fond of El Pollo Loco.

Now, I am hungry.
Well you've got Shake Shack coming to Minneapolis.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:12 PM

YESSSS!!!!!!! DID i just read shake shack? they have way more variety than in n out. Maybe the in n out boredom has hit me.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:33 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,411,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildheartv View Post
YESSSS!!!!!!! DID i just read shake shack? they have way more variety than in n out. Maybe the in n out boredom has hit me.
Yup! At Mall of America in the summer.

Old 01-22-2016, 05:08 PM

162 posts, read 155,148 times
Default You'll do fine here

Saint Paul is very pleasant in my opinion. I really like the Cathedral Hill neighborhood especially. Lots of fun bars, restaurants, coffee shops and shops to go to, as well as beautiful architecture to enjoy. The Lowertown area is developing into an area people are talking about a lot, though I haven't personally spent much time there. I'd also try going to Northeast Minneapolis for cool places to check out. And definitely check out the lakes area in Minneapolis, especially around Lake Calhoun.

People still do things here when it's really cold, you just have to bundle up to get out. The cold days also are good for doing things like playing music or making art, watching movies, or ... doing homework if in school. Although I hate the cold, I would say that when it's negative 30 degrees out, it can make it feel nice and cozy to stay in and enjoy the company of people or do something productive. It is amazing how fast people adjust to the elements though. On the first 40 degree day in the fall I feel frozen. On the first 40 degree day in the spring I'll be outside in shorts and flip-flops. No joke!

I certainly wouldn't be worried about making friends like some people say is hard to do here. It's so easy to meet people in college, and you'll meet plenty of people, both from around here and other states.

I'm 24 and really enjoy living in the twin cities, there's plenty to do for young adults, and there are lots of young adults in the cities with all of the various colleges around. I hope you enjoy life here too, and good luck with the move.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:39 PM

87 posts, read 105,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post

Now, I am hungry.
You had to go and mention In N Out didn't you!?
I miss it too. Surprisingly another one fast food joint I miss is Carl's Jr. I'm kind of embarrassed to admit that. I know of one Hardee's here in the twin cities (North of 94 close to Lexington exit I believe) but it's just not the same

Old 01-23-2016, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatOn View Post
Saint Paul is very pleasant in my opinion. I really like the Cathedral Hill neighborhood especially. Lots of fun bars, restaurants, coffee shops and shops to go to, as well as beautiful architecture to enjoy. The Lowertown area is developing into an area people are talking about a lot, though I haven't personally spent much time there. I'd also try going to Northeast Minneapolis for cool places to check out. And definitely check out the lakes area in Minneapolis, especially around Lake Calhoun.

People still do things here when it's really cold, you just have to bundle up to get out. The cold days also are good for doing things like playing music or making art, watching movies, or ... doing homework if in school. Although I hate the cold, I would say that when it's negative 30 degrees out, it can make it feel nice and cozy to stay in and enjoy the company of people or do something productive. It is amazing how fast people adjust to the elements though. On the first 40 degree day in the fall I feel frozen. On the first 40 degree day in the spring I'll be outside in shorts and flip-flops. No joke!

I certainly wouldn't be worried about making friends like some people say is hard to do here. It's so easy to meet people in college, and you'll meet plenty of people, both from around here and other states.

I'm 24 and really enjoy living in the twin cities, there's plenty to do for young adults, and there are lots of young adults in the cities with all of the various colleges around. I hope you enjoy life here too, and good luck with the move.
This is absolutely comforting because you are in my age range and I will also be 24 once I am there. Thanks so much for the insight I will be going in May to visit and tour the school, very excited to see something new. Although I will be living in Saint Paul, I have read that Minneapolis is the most literate city in the country which adds to the pros for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul