U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 02:59 PM

15,408 posts, read 5,814,374 times

Advertisements

On a list of top ten cities with the most educated young people, curiously the LA "sophisticates" did not make the list at all. Somehow the Twin Citian "hillbillies" made the list at #7. They were joined in the top ten by Madison, WI and Des Moines, IA, all three cities located in the upper Midwest region. There are two northern CA cities on the list: San Francisco and San Jose.

The Ten U.S. Metro Areas With Most Educated Young People (SLIDESHOW).

Jeff Spicoli, that character from the very funny 80's movie Fast Times at Ridgemont High, still is the symbol of what many people in other regions (including northern CA) think of as the typical southern California young guy. Maybe only slightly exaggerated. "Valley girls" still exist too. Gag me with a spoon! LOL!

Then the 1990's were very rough for LA with the worst riot in U.S. history in 1992 (started in South Central and also spread to some other areas of the city), lethal gang violence, and the OJ Simpson trial (or a soap opera in a court room to be more accurate). San Diego and Santa Barbara are the most desirable major cities down there IMO.

Cry some tears on your Korean BBQ when you realize that three cities from the proverbial "sticks" made this list while seriously over-rated LA did not. Also thank the Coen Brothers, who are from the Minneapolis area, for creating some truly inventive, quirky, entertaining cinema to provide relief from the many "cookie cutter" films and sequels out of LA. "Hail Ceasar" is their newest. I have not seen it yet.

Then there is that much lower cost of living in the Twin Cities and the salary difference these days between the two areas is miniscule. Minnesota has one of the nation's best economies.

Getaways from the metro:

Duluth & the beautiful Lake Superior north shore/Split Rock Lighthouse.

Stillwater to Taylors Falls along the beautiful St. Croix River.

Red Wing to Winona along the Mississippi River in SE MN
(All three above offer bluffs, hills and occasional cliffs for the first two overlooking the water).

The Lake Minnetonka area on the western edge of the metro area; especially recommend the charming village of Excelsior there, while a party scene prevails at popular Lord Fletcher's with some of the customers arriving by boat in their marina. The lake is a boater's paradise very close to the city.

Northfield (two college town with annual Defeat of Jesse James Festival, other enjoyable events and very nice downtown).

New Ulm (German heritage town with its Schell brewery tours, popular Oktoberfest and other German festivals).

Lake Itasca State Park (the source of the Mississippi River is here and can be walked across).

Voyagers National Park near the Canadian border.

Alexandria, Bemidji, Brainerd, Grand Rapids, and Park Rapids all have hundreds of lakes in their vicinity and are enjoyed in the warm weather months and autumn (fall colors plentiful).

Pipestone, home to Pipestone National Monument in SW MN. Not far from Sioux Falls, SD. Can be easily combined with a trip further out to western South Dakota's Black Hills.

Then there is that short 1 hour direct flight to Chicago (or drive it and you can also visit Madison and Milwaukee along the way too).

I personally am not a fan of the vast desert east of LA that is insufferably hot in the summer months. Some people are into that, though.

Last edited by chessgeek; 01-23-2016 at 04:17 PM.. Reason: Provided additional information.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 03:41 PM

27 posts, read 28,891 times
LA is not over rated.

Pretty much everyone bashes on LA, including people who live there.

It's also not a great tourist destination, so it gets a worse rap than it deserves.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:04 PM

87 posts, read 96,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
On a list of top ten cities with the most educated young people, curiously the LA "sophisticates" did not make the list at all. Somehow the Twin Citian "hillbillies" made the list at #7. They were joined in the top ten by Madison, WI and Des Moines, IA, all three cities located in the upper Midwest region. There are two northern CA cities on the list: San Francisco and San Jose.

The Ten U.S. Metro Areas With Most Educated Young People (SLIDESHOW).

Jeff Spicoli, that character from the very funny 80's movie Fast Times at Ridgemont High, still is the symbol of what many people in other regions (including northern CA) think of as the typical southern California young guy. Maybe only slightly exaggerated. "Valley girls" still exist too. Gag me with a spoon! LOL! San Diego and Santa Barbara are the most desirable major cities down there IMO.

Cry some tears on your Korean BBQ when you realize that three cities from the proverbial "sticks" made this list while seriously over-rated LA did not. Also thank the Coen Brothers, who are from the Minneapolis area, for creating some truly inventive, quirky, entertaining cinema to provide relief from the many "cookie cutter" films and sequels out of LA. "Hail Ceasar" is their newest. I have not seen it yet.

Then there is that much lower cost of living in the Twin Cities and the salary difference these days between the two areas is miniscule. Minnesota has one of the nation's best economies.

Getaways from the metro:

Duluth & the beautiful Lake Superior north shore/Split Rock Lighthouse.

Stillwater to Taylors Falls along the beautiful St. Croix River.

Red Wing to Winona along the Mississippi River in SE MN
(All three above offer bluffs, hills and occasional cliffs for the first two overlooking the water).

The Lake Minnetonka area on the western edge of the metro area; especially recommend the charming village of Excelsior there, while a party scene prevails at popular Lord Fletcher's. The lake is a boater's paradise very close to the city.

Northfield (two college town with annual Defeat of Jesse James Festival, other enjoyable events and very nice downtown).

New Ulm (German heritage town with popular Oktoberfest and other German festivals).

Lake Itasca State Park (the source of the Mississippi River is here and can be walked across).

Voyagers National Park near the Canadian border.

Alexandria, Bemidji, Brainerd, Grand Rapids, and Park Rapids all have hundreds of lakes in their vicinity and are enjoyed in the warm weather months and autumn (fall colors plentiful).

Pipestone, home to Pipestone National Monument in SW MN. Not far from Sioux Falls, SD. Can be easily combined with a trip further out to western South Dakota's Black Hills.

I personally am not a fan of the vast desert east of LA that is insufferably hot in the summer months. Some people are into that, though.
And some people aren't into MN and Brainerd and Park Rapids and all the other tiny towns you listed. To each their own.
LA is no utopia, but having lived in LA and now MN, MN is also no utopia. Each have their pros and cons.
Main difference I see is that people from LA didn't try to convince me about why LA was "so great". It spoke for itself (yes traffic sucks and cost is high, etc....again, no utopia). The folks here seem to go out of their way to convince me about how awesome this place is (I don't need convincing, I like it here) going as far as mentioning the Coen brothers! really? Or claiming the restaurants here are way better than the restaurants in LA based on a couple trips and never having lived there or anywhere outside of MN.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:54 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,515,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPtransplant View Post
And some people aren't into MN and Brainerd and Park Rapids and all the other tiny towns you listed. To each their own.
LA is no utopia, but having lived in LA and now MN, MN is also no utopia. Each have their pros and cons.
Main difference I see is that people from LA didn't try to convince me about why LA was "so great". It spoke for itself (yes traffic sucks and cost is high, etc....again, no utopia). The folks here seem to go out of their way to convince me about how awesome this place is (I don't need convincing, I like it here) going as far as mentioning the Coen brothers! really? Or claiming the restaurants here are way better than the restaurants in LA based on a couple trips and never having lived there or anywhere outside of MN.
I don't think I've ever met anyone here that claims the Twin Cities have better restaurants than anywhere. Actually, it seems like a lot of the natives know that the restaurant scene, while improving, is still mediocre and are somewhat ashamed of that.
Me: "I sometimes wish we had good BBQ like they do back in KC. Native: "well yeah, BBQ here sucks, we should go visit KC sometime".

Old 01-23-2016, 05:41 PM

2,092 posts, read 4,303,366 times
Quote:
As far as good places to eat I happen to know for a fact that there are many food places that are way way way better than any ANY food place that is in LA. I eat at a few of them several times per year matter of fact.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:49 PM

15,408 posts, read 5,814,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
I don't think I've ever met anyone here that claims the Twin Cities have better restaurants than anywhere. Actually, it seems like a lot of the natives know that the restaurant scene, while improving, is still mediocre and are somewhat ashamed of that.
Me: "I sometimes wish we had good BBQ like they do back in KC. Native: "well yeah, BBQ here sucks, we should go visit KC sometime".
Give one of these three a try sometime. Not saying they are at a KC level (or even LA. Lol) for BBQ, but certainly worth a try.

Bayport BBQ in...you guessed it, Bayport. www.bayportbbq.com

Q Fanatic in Champlin. www.w1.qfanatic.com

Smalley's Caribbean Barbecue in Stillwater. www.smalleyscaribbeanbbq.com

Guy Fieri has featured Q Fanatic and Smalley's on his Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives show.

Last edited by chessgeek; 01-23-2016 at 06:16 PM.. Reason: Spelling correction.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:33 PM

27 posts, read 28,891 times
Quote:
hey man we have Prince

PRINCE

Old 01-23-2016, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles Meloche View Post
hey man we have Prince

PRINCE
Haha, well played

Old 01-23-2016, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
My neighbor is who I was specifically talking about. I wrote it in a previous post describing that he made that claim after visiting LA a few times and having never lived anywhere but MN. Bit of a stretch and that's coming from someone who thinks the food scene here is pretty good (me).

Old 01-23-2016, 11:43 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,309,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalgurl-stuck in-Mnpls View Post
stuff
If you hate this place so much then why would you create an account and post on the message board? There are a lot of things I dislike in life but I've never felt compelled to sign up for a message board about something I "hate."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul