Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 10:46 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,192,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPtransplant View Post
And some people aren't into MN and Brainerd and Park Rapids and all the other tiny towns you listed. To each their own.
LA is no utopia, but having lived in LA and now MN, MN is also no utopia. Each have their pros and cons.
Main difference I see is that people from LA didn't try to convince me about why LA was "so great". It spoke for itself (yes traffic sucks and cost is high, etc....again, no utopia). The folks here seem to go out of their way to convince me about how awesome this place is (I don't need convincing, I like it here) going as far as mentioning the Coen brothers! really? Or claiming the restaurants here are way better than the restaurants in LA based on a couple trips and never having lived there or anywhere outside of MN.
You went as far as highlighting in bold my last sentence that the SoCal desert is not my cup of tea. Really? (shrugs shoulders). I doubt anyone else feels that way. Lol. For some reason you were offended by mention of the Coen Brothers, whose films have won Academy Awards.

I actually thought some of my other funny, politically incorrect comments about LA might be more offensive to other posters than the two you pointed out. Lol.

Fairly certain LA would win in a food poll, but they have more voters too. FWIW, both regions offer very good food and a good variety of ethnic choices. The person who expressed the opinion favoring Minnesota after a few visits to LA is still entitled to an opinion. He did not claim to be a food critic. Relax.

SoCal Gurl started the exaggerations and nastiness in post #6 of the thread. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Furthermore, other posters including myself provided more facts than her.

Had a harsher reply planned, but noticed you are a newbie with just 21 posts and most newbies (including myself as I remember from a few years ago) tend to be a little thin skinned early on. We agree to disagree. No worries. I can assure you that you will encounter far more confrontational threads than this one on city data, but also some with more civility.

Do agree that no place is a utopia. Glad you like living in Minnesota. Thanks for sharing your perspective and welcome to city data!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 08:30 AM

87 posts, read 105,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
You went as far as highlighting in bold my last sentence that the SoCal desert is not my cup of tea. Really? (shrugs shoulders). I doubt anyone else feels that way. Lol. For some reason you were offended by mention of the Coen Brothers, whose films have won Academy Awards.

I actually thought some of my other funny, politically incorrect comments about LA might be more offensive to other posters than the two you pointed out. Lol.

Fairly certain LA would win in a food poll, but they have more voters too. FWIW, both regions offer very good food and a good variety of ethnic choices. The person who expressed the opinion favoring Minnesota after a few visits to LA is still entitled to an opinion. He did not claim to be a food critic. Relax.

SoCal Gurl started the exaggerations and nastiness in post #6 of the thread. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Furthermore, other posters including myself provided more facts than her.

Had a harsher reply planned, but noticed you are a newbie with just 21 posts and most newbies (including myself as I remember from a few years ago) tend to be a little thin skinned early on. We agree to disagree. No worries. I can assure you that you will encounter far more confrontational threads than this one on city data, but also some with more civility.

Do agree that no place is a utopia. Glad you like living in Minnesota. Thanks for sharing your perspective and welcome to city data!
No worries. Moderator cut: Insulting
Again, not offended by the Coen brothers comment, at all. Just thought that was an odd thing to point out as if having someone who at one point in their life lived in the area, all of a sudden made that area a desirable place to live.
And yes, I agree, everyone is entitled to their opinion, those opinions are also open to criticism by those who have more perspective on a place.
Thanks for the welcome! Hope to contribute more and learn some more as well.

Last edited by Jeo123; 01-25-2016 at 10:39 AM..

Old 01-24-2016, 09:41 AM

214 posts, read 299,984 times
Lots of valid points here.

I moved here from Colorado and would move back under the right circumstances. I prefer the climate, cannabis laws, and residents more than those here. With that said MSP is still a pretty good place for us and I am happy enough here, November-March aside, that my cons list is outweighed by my pros to stay until I retire or change careers closer to retirement.

Cons-
For some reason Minnesota is awesome for white people but our citizens of color are being left behind. Studies are accounting for educational attainment and this disparity still exists. Children are graduating at half the rate of their white counterparts and blacks are 9 times more likely to be arrested for marijuana possession even though it's decriminalized and should only carry a fine and citation.

The Winters are no joke. They are tolerable and more enjoyable if you toughen up and try cross country skiing and sledding.

Some of the people here suck. Mn nice is a thing and the indirect and passive aggressive nature of some of the residents can make for difficult relationships and interactions.

The freeway design on many roads does suck. The cloverleaf interchanges along with a lack of merging lanes does cause most of congestion.

Cannabis acceptance and legislation efforts are stymied by the iron fisted law enforcement lobbyists here. It's ridiculous that in a state with so much binge drinking there are plenty of people who look down on someone who would rather relax with cannabis than a beer.

The worst is that any critique of the state is often met with outrage. Take the feedback and try to make this place better.

Pros-
Economy. Great jobs, affordable housing and high salaries for professionals are great incentives to live here.

Food and culture. Great craft beer scene and also good performing arts events are all around. There are also many great museums.

Health and Well Being.

There is a reason why the TC Metro tops lists all the time for things like quality of life, education and fitness.

The natural amenities are top notch and the weather is better than one would expect.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo_golf_guy View Post

I moved here from Colorado and would move back under the right circumstances. I prefer the climate, cannabis laws, and residents more than those here. With that said MSP is still a pretty good place for us and I am happy enough here, November-March aside, that my cons list is outweighed by my pros to stay until I retire or change careers closer to retirement.

Cons-
For some reason Minnesota is awesome for white people but our citizens of color are being left behind. Studies are accounting for educational attainment and this disparity still exists. Children are graduating at half the rate of their white counterparts and blacks are 9 times more likely to be arrested for marijuana possession even though it's decriminalized and should only carry a fine and citation.

The Winters are no joke. They are tolerable and more enjoyable if you toughen up and try cross country skiing and sledding.

Some of the people here suck. Mn nice is a thing and the indirect and passive aggressive nature of some of the residents can make for difficult relationships and interactions.

The freeway design on many roads does suck. The cloverleaf interchanges along with a lack of merging lanes does cause most of congestion.

Cannabis acceptance and legislation efforts are stymied by the iron fisted law enforcement lobbyists here. It's ridiculous that in a state with so much binge drinking there are plenty of people who look down on someone who would rather relax with cannabis than a beer.

The worst is that any critique of the state is often met with outrage. Take the feedback and try to make this place better.

Pros-
Economy. Great jobs, affordable housing and high salaries for professionals are great incentives to live here.

Food and culture. Great craft beer scene and also good performing arts events are all around. There are also many great museums.

Health and Well Being.

There is a reason why the TC Metro tops lists all the time for things like quality of life, education and fitness.

The natural amenities are top notch and the weather is better than one would expect.
I did notice the lack of good merge lanes on the freeways on my last visit to MN too. This is a fair, balanced and very credible post. No over the top silliness like Socal Gurl had with only one pro quality. Do not think you will have a problem with "outrage" replies with this post. If a post has credibility on this forum and includes facts, it usually does not meet with anger or outrage. Do agree with most of your comments here; maybe undecided on a couple of them. Were I twenty years younger I might consider living in MN myself, but will be retired in less than a decade.

Old 01-24-2016, 04:22 PM

2,891 posts, read 2,137,886 times
"It is what it is and every transplant here has/can vouch for this again & again! You will rarely see a transplant (regardless of where they're from) loving Minnesota!"

wow, you know A LOT of people.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo_golf_guy View Post

Cons-

Pros-

Health and Well Being.

Yes, yes, yes, and the 4th bold, YES.
The craft beer scene is awesome and the restaurant scene is certainly improving! Love hitting up all the new brewery's that seem to pop up weekly.

Last edited by BPtransplant; 01-24-2016 at 08:01 PM..

Old 01-24-2016, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Yes, yes, yes, and the 4th bold, YES.
The craft beer scene is awesome and the restaurant scene is certainly improving! Love hitting up all the new brewery's that seem to pop up weekly.
Posts consisting of exaggerations, innuendo, and hyperbole are sometimes met with outrage. Seldom are accurate, more respectful critiques based on actual facts. The same pattern prevails in a lot of other metro areas on these city data forums too and sometimes to a greater degree. Check out the Portland and Seattle forums sometime. (Atlanta and Cincinnati not far behind with that attitude IMO). Both are beautiful areas, but many of those people could not admit a fault/weakness for their city even if they were paid $100,000. The very definition of "homers" that MN can't match. LOL.

Keep enjoying the beer and food! Agree with you there and will have to check some of those out on my next visit.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Posts consisting of exaggerations, innuendo, and hyperbole are sometimes met with outrage. Seldom are accurate, more respectful critiques based on actual facts. The same pattern prevails in a lot of other metro areas on these city data forums too and sometimes to a greater degree. Check out the Portland and Seattle forums sometime. (Atlanta and Cincinnati not far behind with that attitude IMO). Both are beautiful areas, but many of those people could not admit a fault/weakness for their city even if they were paid $100,000. The very definition of "homers" that MN can't match. LOL.

Keep enjoying the beer and food! Agree with you there and will have to check some of those out on my next visit.
While I agree with you, the fact that many transplants to this area notice these things (myself included) leads me to believe that these things exist. Us transplants don't get together and find things to pick on MN about. Its a decent area. It's not a conspiracy. They are real. So real that the Star Tribune actually writes articles about them fairly frequently and riles its own people up.
I lived in ATL for 4 years and didn't notice as much of it there. Mainly because I felt like there were more transplants there than there are here. I don't have a source for that, just my observation while living there.

Next time you're in the area, hit up Surly....they just built a new brewery/restaurant about a year ago and it's awesome. Good food and even better beer. White bear lake is a ways away from the central part of the cities but it's a nice little downtown with a fairly new brewery that just popped up in the last few years...."Big wood brewery"....check it out. They don't serve food (at least the last time I was there) but you can order food from one of the many restaurants close by and have some good beer while you wait. Cool spot.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:52 PM

Quote:
While I agree with you, the fact that many transplants to this area notice these things (myself included) leads me to believe that these things exist. Us transplants don't get together and find things to pick on MN about. Its a decent area. It's not a conspiracy. They are real. So real that the Star Tribune actually writes articles about them fairly frequently and riles its own people up.
I lived in ATL for 4 years and didn't notice as much of it there. Mainly because I felt like there were more transplants there than there are here. I don't have a source for that, just my observation while living there.

Next time you're in the area, hit up Surly....they just built a new brewery/restaurant about a year ago and it's awesome. Good food and even better beer. White bear lake is a ways away from the central part of the cities but it's a nice little downtown with a fairly new brewery that just popped up in the last few years...."Big wood brewery"....check it out. They don't serve food (at least the last time I was there) but you can order food from one of the many restaurants close by and have some good beer while you wait. Cool spot.
Surly is definitely on my list. Will also check out the brewery in WBL on my next visit. Thanks!

Old 01-25-2016, 10:24 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,778,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TermsOfService
Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.

As a reminder, users should report personal attacks. Engaging in "retaliatory" attacks in response will result in earning an infraction yourself

Last edited by Jeo123; 01-25-2016 at 10:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul