Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 12:40 PM

4 posts, read 8,819 times

Advertisements

Greetings! We currently own a home in South Minneapolis near lake Nokomis. We are looking to move to most likely Apple Valley or Lakeville. Our budget is $250K max, but hoping to be closer to $230K-$240k. I work off France in Edina right off 494 and my husband works in DT Minneapolis. In looking at the inner ring suburbs that we like, we can't seem to get much for our price range. School district is a big consideration for us, so that seems to rule out some of the inner ring suburbs we can afford (Richfield, Bloomington). This has drawn us to Apple Valley/Lakeville area. I would appreciate feedback on...

-School districts: You can't seem to go bad with either, although there seems to be more variance in the school ratings in Apple Valley vs Lakeville, especially whether you're on the east or west side of 77. Experience with either?

-Commute: Does anybody make these commutes? What is an average commute? I work 7:15-4:15 in Edina and my husband 8-4:30 in DT Minneapolis. Also taking 35 vs 77 if we end up in Lakeville?

-Location: East side of Apple Valley seems most desirable in consideration to school district but there doesn't seem to be as much in our price range of course. I seem to see some options in Lakeville in our price range towards the northeast corner and near Lake Marion. Lake Marion seems desirable as we're used to be close to a lake. Just want to make sure there aren't any major red flags in any of the areas that I'm missing.

We're hoping to move into our long term home so appreciate any info on these areas as we jump to the burbs.

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 03:15 PM

367 posts, read 539,404 times
I live in Lakeville on the border of Apple Valley and really enjoy the community. I don't have children to speak about the school districts per se, but I can tell you that District 196 is highly regarded and several of the communities it serves are Apple Valley, Rosemount, and portions of Lakeville and Eagan. The district was honored with six National Blue Ribbon Schools of Excellence awards and is well recognized in academics, arts, and athletics. Most of Lakeville is served by District 194 which I've also heard is very good and fast growing. I think you will be happy with the quality of the school districts in either community.

Lake Marion is a nice section of Lakeville and definitely worth considering.

As far as commuting, during normal days (where there isn't an accident or inclement weather to slow one down), the commute to Edina can be made in about 25-30 minutes from Apple Valley or Lakeville. It is good that you work early because you'll avoid peak congestion (between 7:00 am - 8:00 AM) going northbound from either 77 or 35W in the morning. If coming from Apple Valley, 77 northbound tends to be slow from about 138th Street to Diffley Road during the morning rush hour because it narrows to two lanes in this stretch, but you're traveling early enough that it shouldn't be too much of an issue. 494 westbound from that point can be hit or miss, but likely should be ok at the time you're traveling. The good news is that if it is busy, you can always exit the freeway and take 77th/76th Streets or American Boulevard to France Ave as well. These roads have traffic lights but traffic at least moves.

The trip to downtown Minneapolis via 77 is about 35 minutes via 77/62/35W. Your husband could also consider taking public transit as there are multiple express buses that link Apple Valley to downtown Minneapolis. The Red Line, a bus rapid transit line that runs to Mall of America, is also an option where he could transfer to the Blue Line light rail to go downtown.

Commuting via 35W will take roughly 20-25 minutes to Edina (assuming no accidents or inclement weather) and tends to be busier than 77, especially from the 35W/35E Burnsville split until you reach Cliff Road, where traffic then loosens. The interchange at 494 and 35W also slows traffic down, but you can take one of the earlier Bloomington exits such as 98th and reach France via that way. If taking 35W, you have the option of purchasing a MnPass account and taking the Express Lane even if you're traveling solo. I highly recommend this if you can do so as it will make commuting much easier! The trip to downtown Minneapolis during peak hours is about 35-40 minutes.

Best of luck in your move!

Last edited by Rhody2Mn; 01-18-2016 at 04:19 PM..

Old 01-18-2016, 04:04 PM

Thanks for the awesome information! I see that Lake Marion is near the Lakeville airport. It doesn't seem like the air traffic would be too loud though considering the types of planes that fly in that area. Considering we are directly in the flight path of the MSP airport right now, I'm sure it will seem like nothing to us!

Old 01-18-2016, 06:05 PM

810 posts, read 844,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel_2 View Post
Thanks for the awesome information! I see that Lake Marion is near the Lakeville airport. It doesn't seem like the air traffic would be too loud though considering the types of planes that fly in that area. Considering we are directly in the flight path of the MSP airport right now, I'm sure it will seem like nothing to us!
You live right in Minneapolis how are the schools in your area? We are looking at moving probably to a suburb but possibly right in Minneapolis. Our daughter is currently in 4th grade, we wouldn't move until at least the end of the school year.

Is the area safe? Is your area walk able with a grocery near by?

I am just looking for help and input.

Thanks

Old 01-18-2016, 08:20 PM

Part of the reason we're leaving the city is for better school districts. We're on the east side of Lake Nokomis and there are a couple of "ok" public schools near us. There are some that are good over in South West Minneapolis, but in North Minneapolis they're pretty bad. We can't afford private schools so that's not an option for us.

We have really enjoyed our time in Minneapolis as a young couple, but I wouldn't feel safe walking here after dark.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:08 AM

264 posts, read 311,332 times
Quote:
Part of the reason we're leaving the city is for better school districts. We're on the east side of Lake Nokomis and there are a couple of "ok" public schools near us. There are some that are good over in South West Minneapolis, but in North Minneapolis they're pretty bad. We can't afford private schools so that's not an option for us.

We have really enjoyed our time in Minneapolis as a young couple, but I wouldn't feel safe walking here after dark.
Are there good schools within reasonable distance available through open enrollment?

Also, have you looked into charter schools? Not all of these are good, but the ones I either had direct experience with (Eagle Ridge, Aspen), or heard about from friends and colleagues (Nova; a charter school in Richfield) have been excellent.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvoyd View Post
Are there good schools within reasonable distance available through open enrollment?

Also, have you looked into charter schools? Not all of these are good, but the ones I either had direct experience with (Eagle Ridge, Aspen), or heard about from friends and colleagues (Nova; a charter school in Richfield) have been excellent.
There are some great charter schools. My fear is what if we're not able to get into one? More than that, where we are now is just not where I picture raising a child.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:34 AM

264 posts, read 311,332 times
Quote:
There are some great charter schools. My fear is what if we're not able to get into one? More than that, where we are now is just not where I picture raising a child.
Good luck in any case! You seem to be bucking the new(er) trend - younger families with children moving back into the city and first-ring suburbs.

I stayed in a neighborhood east of Nokomis for a few months several years ago (closer to the VA hospital), the neighborhood was certainly not posh, but appeared safe and walkable, with a neighborhood hardware store, used car dealership, and a library.

Old 01-20-2016, 01:21 PM

540 posts, read 1,089,449 times
Yeah, that's the first time I have heard that about the area.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:03 AM

3,710 posts, read 3,624,534 times
I'm very familiar with both areas, wife grew up in Lakeville, and we currently live in Apple Valley. Even though my wife went to D194 and I went to D196, we both agree that D196 is slightly better, although its splitting hairs (wife also worked for D194 district office). This is mostly because of the maturity of the district, as Lakeville has dealt with more turnover and growing pains.

Within Apple Valley, like Lakeville, there are 2 high schools. Eastview is newer and therefore nicer, however I don't know that's its necessarily better. That would depend on which sports/activities your children are into. Drama, wrestling, and basketball all go to AV high, whereas track and football and danceline goes to Eastview. Airport noise will be negligible given what you're used to, however it's slightly worse in AV given new flight paths.

Once again, we are splitting hairs here. But from a community sense, Lakeville has more growing pains, new houses with less trees, etc. I prefer the maturity of the AV community, but that's a personal preference
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul