Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 03:17 PM

41 posts, read 78,177 times

Advertisements

Stats:
- Currently renting in Plymouth.
- Husband works downtown and take the bus daily.
- Son is 3 1/2 and another one on the way due in April.
- Big dog with fenced yard.
- 2 car garage for husbands hobbies.

Been doing a ton of research on the Apple Valley/Eagen/Rosemount area and liking what I see...

Needs:
- Excellent schools
- Fenced yard
- 3 beds/2 baths min.
- 3 car garage
- 300-400K budget

Questions:
1. Not a complaint per se, but I'm skeptical of how many properties are for sale in this area. Any particular reason this may be?

2. Access to public transport to downtown and how is the ride?

3. Here in Plymouth, we get a ton of air traffic noise upon take off and turning. What's the airport noise like in AV/E/R area?. What are areas to avoid?

4. All signs point to excellent school district 196. Any cause for concern?

5. Where would be a good place to read up on school budgets/issues etc?

6. Why are these areas cheaper than Plymouth/Maple Grove etc? Or - why does it seem like I can generally more for my $ in these areas?

7. What's the food scene like? Is it typical suburban fare such as apple bees etc? Or can anything interesting be had such as what is available in St.Paul?

Thank you so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 07:10 PM

367 posts, read 539,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbee View Post
Stats:

Been doing a ton of research on the Apple Valley/Eagen/Rosemount area and liking what I see...

Needs:
- Excellent schools
- Fenced yard
- 3 beds/2 baths min.
- 3 car garage
- 300-400K budget

Questions:
1. Not a complaint per se, but I'm skeptical of how many properties are for sale in this area. Any particular reason this may be?

3. Here in Plymouth, we get a ton of air traffic noise upon take off and turning. What's the airport noise like in AV/E/R area?. What are areas to avoid?

6. Why are these areas cheaper than Plymouth/Maple Grove etc? Or - why does it seem like I can generally more for my $ in these areas?

7. What's the food scene like? Is it typical suburban fare such as apple bees etc? Or can anything interesting be had such as what is available in St.Paul?

Thank you so much!!
You can definitely find what you're seeking in the Apple Valley/Eagan/Rosemount area. I'll try to answer your questions as best as I can:

1. I don't think there's a particular cause for concern about the number of properties for sale as there are also a lot of new homes being constructed. Suburbs in general have lost some of their population as the younger generation is currently opting to move back to cities (but I think that will change as this group grows older and has kids as they'll want good schools and suburban school districts in general outperform their urban counterparts).

2. The Minnesota Valley Transit Authority (MVTA) serves the south metro suburbs - you can check its website for particular information at mvta.com. In addition, the Red Line is a bus rapid transit that runs from Apple Valley down Cedar Avenue to Mall of America. From there, you can connect to the Blue Line light rail to get to downtown Minneapolis. I've not taken the buses myself but have been told the ride is relaxing and easy - it takes about 20 minutes. In the next few years a second bus rapid transit line (Orange Line) is scheduled to open in Burnsville (which borders Apple Valley) to connect to downtown Minneapolis, so that will offer another option.

3. I live in Lakeville on the border of Apple Valley and am happy to state that air traffic noise is practically non existent. All of Apple Valley and Rosemount should be fine in this regard as well as the majority of Eagan. There are some pockets of northern/western Eagan that experience noise, but it is relatively limited to the small sector of the city closest to the airport.

4. District 196 is an excellent school district and well regarded in the state. You will be pleased with the quality of the schools in the area.

5. You might want to check the district website at district196.org. The Sun Current newspaper that serves the south metro would also be a good source.

6. I'm not sure why this is the case, other than Plymouth and Maple Grove may be considered slightly more "prestigious" (as is the West Metro in general) but I am familiar with those communities and they aren't that different from Apple Valley or Eagan in terms of amenities. (Rosemount is nice but smaller).

7. I love the area and its proximity to the zoo, downtown Minneapolis and St. Paul, MOA, and other places throughout the Twin Cities, but this is one sector where we sorely lack. Indeed, the food scene is what you'd expect from the suburbs - mostly chains. I think the best choices in the vicinity are Doolittles in Eagan and Vivo in Apple Valley. Fortunately, it only takes about 25 minutes to get to either downtown on weekends and/or non-rush hours to find tons of great restaurant options.

Good luck and let me know if I can help further.

Last edited by Rhody2Mn; 02-14-2016 at 07:22 PM..

Old 02-14-2016, 09:25 PM

442 posts, read 588,263 times
I only see 6 properties on the MLS that are in the 196 school district with a fenced yard, but almost all of them are good options (the one that's not is one I actually showed before and I'm not surprised it's still on the market). The market will be picking up in the next few weeks and you'll have plenty to choose from. Your budget is perfectly adequate for that side of town.

The prices in Maple Grove and Plymouth are inflated due to all the new construction in the area. There's some of that near where you're looking, but definitely not to the same degree.

I have a good friend who takes the express bus from Apple Valley to downtown Minneapolis every day and swears by it. He wouldn't go back to driving a car every day for anything.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:32 PM

Thank you both for the feedback!! Very helpful...

BryaninMSP - why will the market be picking back up in the next few weeks? What line is that express bus?

Rhody2MN - What is Lakeville like in relation to all my questions?

Old 02-15-2016, 06:51 PM

442 posts, read 588,263 times
Quote:
BryaninMSP - why will the market be picking back up in the next few weeks? What line is that express bus?
The number of actives always picks up in the spring, as families don't want to move in or out of houses when there's snow on the ground and kids are in school.

For example, last year in the 194 and 196 school districts, there were only 544 TOTAL active listings (of all price ranges) in February, but grew each month to a peak of 822 active listings in July.

I believe the bus route is 477.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:11 PM

878 posts, read 1,197,534 times
For your budget, you can find a 3/2/2 with a fenced yard in many, many excellent school districts (virtually all of them, in fact)-- including those in the western 'burbs, such as Minnetonka, Eden Prairie, West Bloomington, and Chanhassen-- if you'd prefer not to head south (though Lakeville/Apple Valley/Eagan/Rosemount are all great choices, too). All of the above options have transport, too-- and while the restaurant choices in all suburbs pale in comparison to what you'd find in the Cities, there are some great options to be found-- you just have to seek them out (but the options seem to multiply the closer in to the Cities that you go).

Depending on income, you might also consider Edina; you might qualify for their "Come Home to Edina" program that will help with up to $60K in down payment assistance-- even without the assistance, you can find (some) homes for under $400K there that would work for what you're looking for (but getting a 3 car garage might be a bit more challenging)-- and the schools there are considered to be top notch and the restaurants in Edina are likely more up your alley than most suburbs.

Other options that might give up a bit in school quality (or at perceptually) but have the proximity and more of the restaurant scene that you might be looking for are Hopkins and St Louis Park.

As mentioned, your money will go further as you get further out you go (and the properties often get bigger-- and the houses newer/bigger, too) and the 'prestige' (real or imagined) factors in to the equation as well-- but the 'cost' of most the more affordable 'burbs, of course, is a longer commute AND, often, the dearth of non-chain stores and restaurants.

The good news is that your budget will allow you to afford virtually any 'burb (and even sections of Minneapolis and St Paul) and you virtually can't go wrong with any school district in or around the Cities.

Happy House Hunting!

Old 02-15-2016, 10:14 PM

55 posts, read 79,002 times
[quote=Rhody2Mn;43010413]You can definitely find what you're seeking in the Apple Valley/Eagan/Rosemount area. I'll try to answer your questions as best as I can:

1. I don't think there's a particular cause for concern about the number of properties for sale as there are also a lot of new homes being constructed. Suburbs in general have lost some of their population as the younger generation is currently opting to move back to cities (but I think that will change as this group grows older and has kids as they'll want good schools and suburban school districts in general outperform their urban counterparts).

I don't know about that one, as one of those searching for good schools for my young but nearly school aged kids, and after having countless discussions with all of my peers, most of whom are lawyers or other professionals, I don't know anyone heading back to the exurbs. A couple are heading to Edina, one or two who went as far as Hopkins, but most everyone is sticking to the nice areas of Minneapolis or St. Paul, or an inner ring (Falcon Heights, St. Louis Park, Golden Valley) burb. At least if you work downtown, I can't imagine why you would choose to cross the river every day and all of that extra car time and suburban landscape just for a slightly larger house. Not that there aren't nice things out there, there are. I just don't see the trend really reversing in the Twin Cities any time soon - younger professional parents who can afford to stay in or near the city and close to the lakes, good schools, good eats, good commute etc. are opting to do so.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:19 PM

3,710 posts, read 3,623,110 times
Quote:
Stats:

Needs:
- Excellent schools
- Fenced yard
- 3 beds/2 baths min.
- 3 car garage
- 300-400K budget

Questions:

Thank you so much!!
I grew up in Eagan, and now live in Apple valley. It's a great area. In my opinion, AV and Eagan are better than rosemount, which has the plus of still having a downtown but is going through some growing pains and does not have great highway access. Eagan skews a little pricier, closer to the cities, older, and quieter. AV is a little younger, less expensive. The airplane noise is not bad, although it did get worse when they changed flight paths about 2 years ago. Once again, an outsider may notice it faintly while sitting on their deck, I don't anymore.

Mass transit to downtown is great from both cities.

No need to be skeptical for any reason. Food scene is typical suburbs unfortunately. My wife and I travel to the cities on weekends for better mom and pop restaurants as we are foodies.

No cause for concern on D196. Excellent district all around!!!

Old 02-16-2016, 08:43 AM

367 posts, read 539,314 times
Quote:

Rhody2MN - What is Lakeville like in relation to all my questions?
Lakeville would be another great choice and has a similar vibe to the other towns you're considering. Airport noise is not a factor. Lakeville, like Rosemount, has a traditional downtown. It is served by three school districts with the primary being 194. The other two are 192 and 196; all have a good reputation.

As far as transportation, the Red Line is eventually going to be extended to Lakeville's portion of Cedar Avenue. Otherwise, MVTA serves the community. Interstate 35 runs through the western portion of the city for a direct connection to Minneapolis, and you can open a MnPASS account to use the HOV lane on 35W. Soon as I previously mentioned the Orange Line will be an option as well.

The food scene is what you'd expect in the suburbs, but again, it only takes about 25 minutes to reach the cities in non-rush hour, so it's easy to find great options.

People always think an outer suburb like Lakeville is so far away, but in reality, unless you're traveling at peak hours, nowhere in the metro takes long to get to as driving is a breeze. The quality of life in Lakeville is high and I'd definitely recommend you add it to the list of towns you're considering.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:28 AM

Thank you everyone for the feedback, much appreciated! Additional question concerns landscape. Up near us currently (Plymouth) it's super flat and lots of growth is being cleared for development. When I visited the MN zoo in AV during the summer, that particular area seemed more lush and private. But I suppose that's because it's the zoo. The hubs and I are going to do some driving around, but just wanted to know if there is a particular area where we can have more tree coverage/green space than others. Thank you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul