U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 03:39 PM

7 posts, read 4,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingmidwesterner View Post
I'm planning to move to the Twin Cities from the Cincinnati, Ohio area. I've visited there and traveled through the airport a couple of times, but otherwise am fairly uninformed on the best places to live for a young person who's looking for affordability and something quiet.

I'm hoping to have to drive very little. Cincinnati is great, but since the area is very "spread out," you almost have to drive to get to a lot of places on time. My job in the Twin Cities will be near the University.

Does anyone have suggestions on areas to look for apartments?

Is the whole thing about "Minnesota nice" true?

Besides the winters, what's different about the lower midwest (like Cincinnati, Columbus, and Indianapolis) and the upper midwest (like Minneapolis-St. Paul)?
You should fit in nicely here. I moved here from Ohio a few years ago and love it. I visited prior to moving here and was very impressed with all the city had going for it. The economy is great and housing is still relatively affordable. Transit systems, awesome breweries everywhere, too many good restaurants to keep track of. It's a lot colder here than you're used to in Cincy but a heavy down coat will get you around comfortably. Plus the summers more than make up for the winter--70s and low humidity combined with the abundance of trails, lakes, and outdoor events is fantastic. I would say the biggest difference and something that might not be obvious is the level of growth and prosperity all over the metro area. Apartments and housing prices are still going up a everywhere. Unemployment is very low. People are actually investing in the city which is something you don't see a lot of in Ohio.

I would recommend living in the south Minneapolis neighborhoods (Standish/Longfellow/Seward/Cooper/Howe) if you're working at the University. Some of these neighborhoods might give you pause (as they did me when I first moved here) but they are actually very safe. Many young professionals and young families are attracted to the affordable smaller houses. But there are also rentals if that's what you are looking for. You'll be near downtown and other hot spots but also have neighborhood bars and restaurants. You can also easily get to the University by light rail, biking or driving. Around Lake St. WEST of Hiawatha Ave. is less safe and I would avoid.

I don't really get/notice the Minnesota Nice thing. I don't think people here act much different from other Midwesterners, except maybe for Chicagoans (with their east coast sensibilities). I have befriended many transplants here but also many locals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 05:40 PM

15,307 posts, read 4,978,904 times
Some minor differences:

Think you will like that the Twin Cities has all four major pro sports teams (baseball, basketball, football, hockey) while Cincy has two (baseball, football). Plus, there is the three time champion Lynx of the WNBA and a new pro soccer team. There are also a lot of venues for entertainment, especially theater and music. Both the Tony award winning Guthrie Theater and the First Avenue nightclub are nationally known.

Difference favoring Cincinnati: There are no other large, major metropolises within 300 miles or so like you had (near Columbus, Cleveland, Louisville, Indianapolis; also closer to Chicago). If you did not leave Cincinnati much for those cities, that should not matter. Plus the Twin Cities offer a lot, so people do getaways to smaller cities (like Stillwater, Excelsior in the metro; Duluth, Winona, New Ulm, Northfield further out) and the outdoors (especially the large lake areas in northern MN around Alexandria, Brainerd and Bemidji), on occasion longer drives west to places like Black Hills/Mt. Rushmore in SD and are generally fine with that. They generally fly to other large cities.

The north shore of Lake Superior from Duluth to Canada is probably the most scenic area in the entire Midwest. You can get there in less than three hours. Split Rock Lighthouse just 30 miles north of Duluth is a must see IMO.

http://www.northshorevisitor.com/att...ck-lighthouse/

Major differences:

While both areas have a great river, the Twin Cities have far more lakes than the Cincinnati region. There is a chain of lakes in south Minneapolis with parklands and trails alongside them. Free summer concerts in the early evening are enjoyed by many at the Lake Harriett Bandshell. Minnehaha Creek has a nice trail, too. Minnehaha Falls Park is also worth checking out and has a popular eatery serving seafood during the warmer months.

www.minnehahafallsmn.com.

As others have mentioned, the Twin Cities economy is stronger and more diverse. Will leave specific neighborhood advice to the current residents, but you should have more quality choices.

www.phototour.minneapolis.mn.us/1756.

Don't know that any establishments put chili over spaghetti noodles like in Cincinnati, though. Maybe Skyline Chili should open a TC eatery. LOL. For good chili in Minneapolis, go to the Loon Cafe downtown. It is also available at Target Field where the Twins play.

Good luck with the move, OP!

Last edited by chessgeek; 05-07-2016 at 06:46 PM..

Old 05-09-2016, 09:26 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,249,032 times
Minnesota nice thing. It's all very subjective. Act like a reasonable person who is down to earth and not arrogant and I think you'll find people to be nice.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:32 PM

14 posts, read 12,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillwinston View Post

I would recommend living in the south Minneapolis neighborhoods (Standish/Longfellow/Seward/Cooper/Howe) if you're working at the University. Some of these neighborhoods might give you pause (as they did me when I first moved here) but they are actually very safe. Many young professionals and young families are attracted to the affordable smaller houses. But there are also rentals if that's what you are looking for. You'll be near downtown and other hot spots but also have neighborhood bars and restaurants. You can also easily get to the University by light rail, biking or driving. Around Lake St. WEST of Hiawatha Ave. is less safe and I would avoid.
These neighborhoods are great, but currently VERY trendy (as is much of south Minneapolis right now). If you're looking to buy, you might have a hard time finding what you need. Many homes in these neighborhoods selling for well above list.

I'd also recommend checking out the Hale/Page/Northrop/Ericcson neighborhoods - a little farther from the University but near lakes and awesome bike trails.

Otherwise, Mac-Groveland and Highland Park in St. Paul are always great choices, also close to the University. Also quite popular, especially for young families.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:45 PM

3 posts, read 2,260 times
Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. There is some really great insight in here! I'm planning a trip in June to figure out housing and then we'll kind of see where things go from there. This is all extremely helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or