Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2016, 04:47 PM

1 posts, read 852 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I'm looking at apartments right on the corner of Park and Franklin ( [url]http://www.forrent.com/apartment-community-profile/1005233[/url] ) and was wondering what that area was like for a woman in her mid 20's. I've lived right on the edge of Cedar Riverside at 21st and Franklin (Gunshots, one time a riot, police, drug dealing, break in's... I was very aware of the crime going on) and now living on West 7th in STP near Goodrich Ave (Haven't seen any crime but it has a really weird, spooky feel and is desolate at night which I hate).

Would appreciate advice on that area, as well as comparisons to the other places I have lived if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 10:12 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
I wouldn't. Granted, I don't live in that area so maybe I'm overly paranoid, but I will go out of my way to avoid that intersection. I'd take Seward/Cedar Riverside any day, where there may be crime, but there also seems to be more legit activity around, too. Maybe it's the park across the street; there always seems to be cop cars cruising through it, and there's been some serious crime there (the baby shot in the middle of the day last year, for example). I think even a few blocks either direction to the east or west would be better, but I don't know what the official stats say.

Those apartments are very pretty, though; I've always admired them.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:20 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,700,465 times
I wouldn't. Anytime you hear Franklin or Broadway, it's usually a place to stay clear off. I do have a lower tolerance for crime/feeling unsafe than many others do however, so to me this is not a good area.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:59 AM

540 posts, read 1,096,726 times
Another negative vote here. My stepson is going through treatment at Children's Hospital so I have walked by that intersection a few times. A lot of obvious drug activity (I've had people offer to sell me drugs, smell pot all over, saw needles and crack pipes in yards/street), people passed out, trash in yards, etc. I would not feel safe walking around there as a lone woman at night. I took the 5 bus one day and there was a guy getting beat up (assuming drug deal got wrong) in the bus shelter at Franklin & Chicago (a block away) and then the guy got on the bus and no one batted an eye, that's the kind of sketchy neighborhood it is.

There has been an attempt to clean up Franklin over the past few years, but it is still one of the worst parts of the city, especially east of Nicollet.

Old 04-15-2016, 02:53 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
Compared to where you were living in Cedar Riverside it will probably a bit shadier with more poverty and less hipsters and college students. I'd maybe consider other locations.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:48 AM

117 posts, read 72,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulu91 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm looking at apartments right on the corner of Park and Franklin ( http://www.forrent.com/apartment-com...rofile/1005233 ) and was wondering what that area was like for a woman in her mid 20's. I've lived right on the edge of Cedar Riverside at 21st and Franklin (Gunshots, one time a riot, police, drug dealing, break in's... I was very aware of the crime going on) and now living on West 7th in STP near Goodrich Ave (Haven't seen any crime but it has a really weird, spooky feel and is desolate at night which I hate).

Would appreciate advice on that area, as well as comparisons to the other places I have lived if possible.
You don't want to move there.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:42 AM

7 posts, read 6,100 times
Agree, I would not live anywhere near that park. That immediate area is probably the worst in all of south Minneapolis. Here is a story from last year: Arrest made after mother, child shot in Minneapolis This was at 2:00 in the afternoon, mind you!

Old 04-19-2016, 04:46 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,403,227 times
Count one more no vote from me. That area is nothing but drug rehab places and half-way houses. I'm actually kind of surprised that a "normal" apartment building exists there. I guess you learn something new every day.

I would say over all that area is relatively safe compared to some neighborhoods you might find in Detroit or Chicago or Iraq, but hopefully you can find some place better.

Last edited by bfrabel; 04-19-2016 at 04:56 PM..

Old 04-19-2016, 08:30 PM

114 posts, read 136,758 times
As others have stated, the Ventura neighborhood doesn't have the best reputation. Cheaper rent and proximity to downtown are favorable for this neighborhood.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:59 PM

291 posts, read 277,243 times
My sister lived right next door to that place for a year when she went to grad school at the U.

It's not a great neighborhood and I'd pick somewhere else. However, if it's you're only option it's not horrible. My sister lived there without incident during the Murderapolis years. Cooler, more expensive areas like Whittier actually have worse crime rates. It's basically got the exact same crime rate as Cedar Riverside.

The main issue is there is nothing to do there... you have to go somewhere else to go out, go to the gym, buy groceries, do anything, really. As such you probably won't end up saving any money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul