U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 02:38 PM

82 posts, read 175,648 times

Advertisements

moving internationally so excuse if this is an easy question. looking to buy a Prius because we will be doing a lot of driving (Wisconsin every weekend and Lakeville? a number of times during the week). for the best deal where is it to look? thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 02:48 PM

1,510 posts, read 965,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamnkats View Post
moving internationally so excuse if this is an easy question. looking to buy a Prius because we will be doing a lot of driving (Wisconsin every weekend and Lakeville? a number of times during the week). for the best deal where is it to look? thanks so much!
Not an easy question - I am looking right now as well and have not bought a used vehicle in a while (cars are not a high priority for me and tend to stick with one for many years).

I have been *looking* through Autotraders.com and Cargurus.com, trying to get an idea of what I want and what is available in the area. Lots of used Toyotas at various dealerships, if these sites are accurate.

But I, too, welcome advise for buying used in the Twin Cities.

Thanks.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:01 PM

9 posts, read 6,414 times
Very interested in what the locals have to say (having just moved here).

The dealers here seem to have banded together for their benefit.

Other places I've lived the dealers are trying to beat each other (open Sunday's, dicker on price).

Here it's a take it or leave it mentality. They're closed Sunday's and they have this junk about "best price" which means no dickering. Went to one dealer (Walser) and it was literally a college kid doing sales - they don't need as skilled sales people with best price. Great model for the dealers for sure. Not as good for the shoppers.

So - Where do the locals go? At this point I may be driving out of state or out of the MSP area anyhow to get a deal.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:15 PM

21,318 posts, read 21,886,413 times
I'd sooner stick my face in a bucket of leeches than ever buy from a private party.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmlpml View Post
Very interested in what the locals have to say (having just moved here).

The dealers here seem to have banded together for their benefit.

Other places I've lived the dealers are trying to beat each other (open Sunday's, dicker on price).

Here it's a take it or leave it mentality. They're closed Sunday's and they have this junk about "best price" which means no dickering. Went to one dealer (Walser) and it was literally a college kid doing sales - they don't need as skilled sales people with best price. Great model for the dealers for sure. Not as good for the shoppers.

So - Where do the locals go? At this point I may be driving out of state or out of the MSP area anyhow to get a deal.
Minnesota still clings to a Blue Law which does not allow Sunday auto sales.

Like the Blue Law prohibiting Sunday Liquor sales, there are powerful lobbies that work hard to keep the laws on the books.

Old 04-21-2016, 01:50 PM

291 posts, read 192,395 times
The truth is you won't find an amazing deal on a Prius unless it's just sheer coincidence.
I'd just buy certified pre-owned from Rudy Luther.

Old 04-21-2016, 03:13 PM

878 posts, read 860,051 times
I just bought a used Toyota (just this morning, in fact!)-- some dealers DO dicker, just few of them are in the Cities themselves.

First, not sure whether a Prius depreciates enough to warrant buying used (might want to first check truecar.com to see the price you can pay on a new one)

Assuming that it IS worth it to buy used, I'd suggest checking autotrader.com, cars.com, carsdirect.com and even Craigslist (you can filter to ONLY see vehicles from dealerships, if that the route you'd prefer).

You can negotiate (if the dealer negotiates, of course) over the phone-- for each of the cars I've purchased or leased over the past 8-10 years, I've done everything over the phone and via email, I just go in to write a check and pick up keys.

If you need a recommendation for a mechanic, if you DM me, I'd be happy to give you my mechanic's info. He's in SLP and he's both very reasonable and trustworthy.

Old 04-22-2016, 04:36 AM

428 posts, read 965,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamnkats View Post
Stop at Maplewood Toyota. Not exactly low prices, but you WILL get a high-quality vehicle. And the service for repairs is great too. Have just bought my 2nd used vehicle from them. Ask for Rory Schaefer.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:39 PM

264 posts, read 218,036 times
Can you clarify how used of a car you are considering? If it is 2-3 years old, it may make sense to buy new, as Priuses depreciate less than many other models, even with the cheap gas. If you are considering a car that is several years old and/or close to 100k miles, so presumably will not cost a ton, I would consider buying from a private party. I have bought (with full disclosure) and sold vehicles on Craigslist, and it was overall a positive experience - I certainly saved money compared to buying from a dealer, and these vehicles would have been out of warranty even if bought from a dealer anyway.

Finally, I was not clear what parameters you are trying to optimize for, if you excuse my geek-speak - initial purchase price? operating costs? total cost to own including purchase price, operating costs and depreciation (this seems to me the best measure)? One thing to keep in mind is that if you plan to use your car for mostly freeway driving, gas savings from using a hybrid compared to a conventional ICE would be less than with city or mixed driving. Basically, a Prius will likely cost quite a bit more than a Focus, Cruze, or Corolla of a comparable age and mileage, but not save that much in gas.

Old 07-05-2016, 02:33 PM

As much as I like the idea of a set price, no haggling car buying experience, I am not going to be happy if I later learn that it is just hype and that they do negotiate if pressed.

Specifically, does anyone have experience with any of the Walser dealerships - good or bad - in this or other areas of car buying? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or