Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2016, 10:45 AM

101 posts, read 142,678 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about Eden Prairie or Minnetonka. Are there differences in regards to the residents who would choose one or the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 11:36 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,706,186 times
EP - Upper middle class suburb. Tons of retail around Eden Prairie Town Center. Lots of corporate jobs too. South of 212/494 is newer housing stock, more expensive. North of 212/5 is older, built out in 60s-80s. Actually northern EP feels a lot like Minnetonka and birders it on hwy 62. Very good schools. Large high school that's renowned for football. Eden prairie also serves as a transit hub for the whole Southwest Metro with rapid bus service and in a couple years will have the light rail station near Eden Prairie Towncenter.

Minnetonka - a bit older than EP, built out 50s-80s mostly. City itself is both inside and outside 494. Excellent schools in Minnetonka district, large high school. Not as much retail except Ridgedale (which is right on the border of Minnetonka). Half the city is in Hopkins district which is still good but not as strongly regarded. Lots of 1/2 acre lots with homes either updated or in need of updating. Funny enough, the city itself barely touches Lake Minnetonka.

Both are excellent towns. Are you looking to live, work, rent, buy?

Old 04-21-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
EP - Upper middle class suburb. Tons of retail around Eden Prairie Town Center. Lots of corporate jobs too. South of 212/494 is newer housing stock, more expensive. North of 212/5 is older, built out in 60s-80s. Actually northern EP feels a lot like Minnetonka and birders it on hwy 62. Very good schools. Large high school that's renowned for football. Eden prairie also serves as a transit hub for the whole Southwest Metro with rapid bus service and in a couple years will have the light rail station near Eden Prairie Towncenter.

Minnetonka - a bit older than EP, built out 50s-80s mostly. City itself is both inside and outside 494. Excellent schools in Minnetonka district, large high school. Not as much retail except Ridgedale (which is right on the border of Minnetonka). Half the city is in Hopkins district which is still good but not as strongly regarded. Lots of 1/2 acre lots with homes either updated or in need of updating. Funny enough, the city itself barely touches Lake Minnetonka.

Both are excellent towns. Are you looking to live, work, rent, buy?

Thanks a lot for the info! I was in Minneapolis 2 weeks ago and was in the Minnetonka area. to stop over at Ridgedale Mall. Very nice area. Minnetonka felt as upscale too. The mall was almost like Northbrook Court in the Northern Chicago Suburbs of Northbrook and Glenview, an area I live close too currently.

I am searching for a 1 bedroom apartment with my girlfriend. How much does rent in either suburb range from if Water and Gas are included?

Old 04-21-2016, 12:09 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,706,186 times
I lived in Lake Zürich Illinois for 10 years before moving back to the Twin Cities last summer. I would say that Minnetonka feels like the older parts of Glenview/Northbrook while Eden Prairie feels like a combination of Buffalo Grove and Lincolnshire. Ridgedale mall in Minnetonka is probably the second most upscale mall in the Twin Cities behind Southdale in Edina. That part of Minnetonka is also closer to the city of Minneapolis because Ridgedale is the far eastern edge of Minnetonka. St. Louis Park is between Minnetonka and Minneapolis and there are a ton of new or apartment developments and a younger feel in St. Louis Park. Most of the city of Minnetonka is single-family homes with young families or retirement aged homeowners. Eden Prairie is a newer area than Minnetonka so you have more young families and 40 something professionals and executives. But they are both fairly similar to one another and safe with good access to parks, lakes, retail and highways.

I don't know much about rental rates but I know in the Twin Cities rents have gone up faster than cost-of-living. Having said that I would imagine the rental rates are less expensive than what you are used to in the northern suburbs of Chicago. I know there are several new or apartment complexes around the Eden Prairie Mall and some newer development around Ridgedale as well. I would advise you to look up rental rates on any number of public listing sites to get a feel for how much they cost.

Overall, the Twin Cities area is far easier to live and work in than Chicagoland. Traffic is much less of a concern and it's much easier to get in and out of the city from the suburbs here. While we don't have as extensive of a public transportation system they are making investments in light rail and bus lines all across the metro. But the city of Minneapolis is also far smaller than the city of Chicago and the one thing I miss about Chicago is the fact that Chicago is truly a world-class city while Minneapolis is a quaint regional city.

I'd be happy to answer any further questions especially helping you compare what you're used to and Chicago to what we have here in Minneapolis.

Old 04-21-2016, 01:44 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,072,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton1433 View Post
Can anyone tell me about Eden Prairie or Minnetonka. Are there differences in regards to the residents who would choose one or the other.
I grew up in east Minnetonka (Williston Road just south of Hwy 7), and owned a home in Eden Prairie for a few years off Pioneer Trail. mr roboto absolutely nailed it.

Old 04-21-2016, 02:27 PM

Thanks for both your responses. Once I look for more apartments I know who to ask.

Old 04-22-2016, 05:38 PM

114 posts, read 136,543 times
A one bedroom in Minnetonka or Eden Prairie will run around $1,000 to $1,400. If you want a lower rent, I would look into older buildings in St. Louis Park or Hopkins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul