U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 11:41 AM

11,333 posts, read 23,316,582 times

Advertisements

No community is inherently snobby, but I'm sure you will find that sort of thing almost everywhere. I don't remember seeing it all that much growing up in the SW suburbs, and I lived in Minnetonka/Bloomington/Eden Prairie, but I'm sure there are a few entitled jerks in every city.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 02:18 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,209,330 times
Coming in late on this, but to where will either or both of you be commuting, if at all. The Twin Cities region includes a lot of sprawl and - frankly - poor freeway design. Plus few routes over a couple of rivers in the south and east, which bottlenecks stuff. And unlike other, larger metros where I have lived, there is definitely a morning and an afternoon rush hour into/out of Minneapolis and St. Paul ... a twenty minute non-rush hour drive becomes 40 minutes during rush hour and when it rains (surprisingly) or snows (understandably) the 40-minute rush hour drive may become 60 minutes.

My very quick thoughts ... having lived in Eagan and now living in Woodbury, both have solid public schools.

Eagan is located nicely in the south metro with access to both Minneapolis and St. Paul, plus close to the airport if that is a consideration (we had two Delta pilots on our block when we lived there). From Eagan going into/out of either larger city, you have to cross rivers so there are pinch points for commuting. I was driving daily through St. Paul to eastern Minneapolis because at that time it was faster than public transit options (buses IN St. Paul and Minneapolis are great, it sort of breaks down getting out past those two cites; the light rail trains are clean, pleasant and strictly adhere to the clock, in my limited experience). We rented there (townhouse) when we moved to the Twin Cities, but that was 15 years ago and I have no idea what the rental market is like.

Woodbury has lots of new developments and actually lots of rentals (both townhouses and some homes in the newer developments like mine - I see a couple of signs in my neighborhood right now for houses built since 2005 or so for rent). And lots of building going on in and around Woodbury, esp. on the eastern side (Woodbury, Lake Elmo, Cottage Grove, etc.). However, if one of you needs to get to Minneapolis daily during rush hour, Woodbury is a pain. But if going into St. Paul, there are some areas of Woodbury and southern Maplewood (Carver Lake area, area off 494 and Lake) that you might want to look into as there are lots of townhouses there, good location, etc.

Someone suggested Shoreview and Roseville. Not sure about the rental market there, but both are nice communities, great location central to both downtowns and great schools (to be honest, much of the metro - suburban and the cities - have good to very good public schools).

Good luck. Keep posting here.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:22 PM

16 posts, read 18,577 times
Question Commuting consideration

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
Coming in late on this, but to where will either or both of you be commuting, if at all. The Twin Cities region includes a lot of sprawl and - frankly - poor freeway design. Plus few routes over a couple of rivers in the south and east, which bottlenecks stuff. And unlike other, larger metros where I have lived, there is definitely a morning and an afternoon rush hour into/out of Minneapolis and St. Paul ... a twenty minute non-rush hour drive becomes 40 minutes during rush hour and when it rains (surprisingly) or snows (understandably) the 40-minute rush hour drive may become 60 minutes.
This is a great question. I know that perhaps as early as next fall, I will need to drive to/from UofM, Twin Cities campus around 5 days per week for about a year and a half total.

I am unsure of where my part-time job will be just yet, but that is flexible and my husband doesn't have to commute at all

I am again grateful for all suggestions and am frantically looking at all of them. Does anyone have a feel for whether certain neighborhoods are looking better or worse than they did 2-3 years ago?

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by cmb203; 05-03-2016 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 05-04-2016, 08:21 AM

1,426 posts, read 1,351,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
I don't think you'll find too much racism anywhere in the twin cities. Remember, MN is a refugee state which brings in many cultures from around the world and it seems that people are socially accepting of this. It's not to say there are small things that will come up, but other than the whole "Black Lives Matter" protests that go on more often lately, I have never seen much there. We too are considering a move back to Mn and also lived in Charlotte for 6 years before trying Denver. I found Charlotte to be very odd. I liked it a lot but I noticed there was a lot of racism there. Especially if you get to the outlying areas of the metro. I grew up in Minnesota and never experienced racism. Everyone I knew and myself included had many friends of all backgrounds and it didn't seem indifferent at all.

Now as far as bullying and kids being snobbish and elitist, you'll find that in every town. Every town will have that one school that's better than the others -

Maple grove or Plymouth would be about the only NW burbs I'd look at if I wanted to live north and didn't want to afford the nice burbs directly north, but I don't think maple grove or Plymouth are as nice as apple valley, Eagan, Edina, Eden prarie etc. St.Louis park is nice too but probably not going to find anime big enough there in your budget, I think Edina, Eden prarie,chanhassen, Minnetonka etc are all a bit pricey. Especially if you're just renting. Id go cheaper first to save some money while you get comfortable.

Woodbury is a decent option too, but I wouldn't even be scared of Bloomington or Burnsville. I know the schools don't g et as high of rating but I also think those number are severely screwed buy many things, especially low test scores from non-American, non-English speaking students that dont test well. There's no perfect place, but I think that SW Corridor is a nice place to start.

I suppose one what thinks is nicer is a matter of opinion. There are objective data to help you find what you are looking for. City-data has great information providing quantitative stats. Racially diverse, Apple Valley would probably fit the bill. Affordability and availability, Apple Valley again. Again, look at the stats though to find what you are looking for OP.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:26 AM

1,426 posts, read 1,351,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb203 View Post
rtloucks/ellysbelly: I super-appreciate your responses! I had pretty much eliminated Edina, b/c sooooo many people said it was snobby, just getting a bit desparate:/
We do search Craigslist daily, never heard of Padmapper - can't wait to check into that!
Yeah this has also been my experience. After living in North Scottsdale upon moving to Minnesota I was extremely turned off by the Edina Elitist attitude displayed. For what? I don't know. They live in the suburbs of Minneapolis, Minnesota. Not exactly a place everyone is dying to move to. Wow you make a million dollars a year, after living the NYC area people would laugh at you for thinking you're better than anyone because you make that much. Basically that was the only city that gave me PTSD from the Elitist snobbery. So yes, stay away if you don't like that sort of culture.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:46 AM

291 posts, read 213,830 times
In smaller second tier areas the snobs are usually worse than in large cities with legitimate rich people. Sinclair Lewis made a career writing about the Minnesotan version.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:07 AM

736 posts, read 812,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Harold View Post
In smaller second tier areas the snobs are usually worse than in large cities with legitimate rich people. Sinclair Lewis made a career writing about the Minnesotan version.
I agree, We wee lived in Charlotte we saw so much of this. And maybe if you lived in NY you could relate. seems like 85% of the transplants to charlotte were from NY/NJ area. They would sell their home in NY/NJ and do well on the sale then move to Charlotte and buy a McMansion, A new boat, New cars, and live in the trendiest suburb they could (which was really just the newest community plopped on some chunk of farm land that someone was willing to sell and would eventually turn anyway) They would act like they "ARRIVED" and made something of themselves because they had all this "money" from the sale of their house - and two months later they'd be complaining that they cant find a good paying job and may have to move back to NY/NJ and start ragging about how much Charlotte sucks, and how terrible the culture is, and no jobs, etc. and in hindsight, Charlotte always has been what Charlotte is and it was actually their delusional ideas that didn't pan out the way they wanted them to.

So yes, you will get that anywhere and I agree it is sometimes worse in areas like MSP, Charlotte, DFW (really bad) Phoenix, Orlando etc. Because people feel like something is owed to them by moving to these places for jobs. or because their dollar goes further.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:15 AM

736 posts, read 812,647 times
I don't think you will see a whole lot of that attitude from native Minnesotans. Most of them/us were raised proper. Hard workers, helping others, etc. Its people that come from other areas that are unhappy with their decision to move there, or fell like they had it better than others etc., that will give you attitude. But you are bound to see it somewhere and more than likely everywhere. I would find the area that fits your lifestyle and is close to the things you like to do. We like Apple Valley. Not because its popular but because we would be driving to Rochester to see family so it shortens the drive quite a bit. We also like southern Minneapolis/Lake Harriett/Lake Calhoun area so being closer to that stuff is good. The restaurants in uptown, we have friends in Rosemount, Lakeville, and down in Faribault. I go to the auto auctions in Shakopee and up in Maple Grove so access is important. The Mall of America and Airport are close. There is a lightrail stop in Apple Valley etc.

So living in the northern Burbs wouldn't benefit us any, but to you it may.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:18 AM

291 posts, read 213,830 times
I found native New Yorkers very tolerable. The worst people in New York are transplants TO New York. which is a lot of people. Being from the New York "area" is quite different though. Homeowners in Westchester and NJ are a lot different kind of person than the city people.

That said, the worst snobs in Minnesota are usually 'native' Minnesotans. The all time worst are people who grew up in the western burbs. Minnetonka, Edina, Excelsior, Chanhassen, etc. What's funny is they've somehow managed to combine snobbery with hockey, a sport invented for neanderthals. iThe rest of the area people are pretty down to earth but you do run into the typical scandinavian dumb-mute act which can seem like snobbery.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:09 AM

5,659 posts, read 6,234,748 times
It never takes long for a request for information to turn into a Minnesota bashing session around here. I think the "worst people" are the reverse snobs and NY/ California wannabes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or