U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2016, 09:50 AM

878 posts, read 957,965 times

Advertisements

I think that snobbery is snobbery, regardless of where you're from and/or live-- it's not inherent to any one area, it just might be a bit more a part of the social fabric in some places than others. I've lived up and down the East Coast and would say that what people consider to be snobby here is laughable as compared to, say, Boca Raton or Jericho, LI. Here you're more likely to find a millionaire driving a rusted out Subaru than a Lambo. I don't see people carrying ridiculously high end handbags-- it's rare to see many Louis Vuitton bags while those (and even more expensive brands) are ubiquitous in Boca Raton and NYC. I do see high end winter coats and boots-- but that might be out of a quest for quality rather than just brand name snobbery (or maybe a bit of both)

I don't see snobbery in hockey (maybe I'm too close to it, as 2 of my kids play and my husband coaches)-- I see MUCH more delusion than snobbery (PS Little Johnny probably isn't going to be drafted to the pros at age 8, no matter how many private lessons he takes and how high end his gear is!) As to the point that it was invented for Neanderthals, I will respectfully disagree and have seen first hand the overarching life lessons of teamwork, hard work, dedication and perseverance that virtually ANY sport, hockey included, provides-- additionally, we've met some of our closest friends through hockey, it's a really great community and has been a ton of fun for all of us to watch our kids play, grow and develop, both on and off the ice.

Anecdotally, I have seen more overt displays of wealth in Edina and Wayzata than I have in other, equally 'wealthy' areas-- but I don't find that EVERYONE in those areas have homogeneous nor innate levels of snobbery. Every area will have down to earth and 'nose in the air' people-- EVERY SINGLE AREA. Figure out what works for you both location and price-wise, you'll find "your people" no matter where you select to live.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 04:18 PM

11,333 posts, read 23,330,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Harold View Post
That said, the worst snobs in Minnesota are usually 'native' Minnesotans. The all time worst are people who grew up in the western burbs. Minnetonka, Edina, Excelsior, Chanhassen, etc. What's funny is they've somehow managed to combine snobbery with hockey, a sport invented for neanderthals. iThe rest of the area people are pretty down to earth but you do run into the typical scandinavian dumb-mute act which can seem like snobbery.
Many east coasters have a proper enthusiasm for ice hockey. It's a natural sport for those regions that actually have natural ice for part of the winter season.

I grew up in Minnetonka, and I realized early on that being a snob made no sense because of the existence of Edina.

Thankfully, the largest single European ancestral country in Minnesota is Germany.
  • Minnesota 2000 population of Minnesota: 4,919,479 (2000 census)
  • Rank Ancestry % of Population
  • 1. German 36.7
  • 2. Norwegian 17.3
  • 3. Irish 11.2
  • 4. Swedish 9.9
  • 5. English 6.3

source: Largest ethnic groups in Minnesota

Old 05-05-2016, 05:22 PM

291 posts, read 214,225 times
Lutheran Germans are effectively the same as Scandinavians and in fact are worse than Scandinavians when it comes to just giving people the silent snub as they don't even have any pretense of politeness.

Old 05-06-2016, 11:05 AM

11,333 posts, read 23,330,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Harold View Post
Lutheran Germans are effectively the same as Scandinavians and in fact are worse than Scandinavians when it comes to just giving people the silent snub as they don't even have any pretense of politeness.
Germans are actually the single largest ethnic group in the US. As of 2014, anyway.

The Largest U.S. Ethnic Group? It's Germans

Old 05-06-2016, 11:15 AM

16 posts, read 18,590 times
Again, I am from the mid-west and am excited to move back! Overall, never had issues with race until I moved south. Not to say it won't happen, but doing my best to make a decent choice. I always look at stats, but they don't have one for snobbery (lol), so sometimes it is a hit or miss when you want to live among folks who value education, safety, and a town that has reasonable housing.

I will keep exploring Apple Valley (again not many rentals there) and the other places listed.

Many folks seem to have had bad experiences with renters that have pets (we have 2 well-behaved small/med dog and 1 year old cat). I have definitely been in rental homes that reek of pet odor, so I understand, but it makes it that much harder for those of us who have emotional support animals that do not tear up the place and are clean (and I mean OCD-level clean.

Old 05-06-2016, 11:59 AM

291 posts, read 214,225 times
Rentals are tight throughout the TC metro. You may have to take something substandard just to get situated, especially with 2 kids and 3 pets. The other option is to overpay. The most vacancies are actually in expensive units downtown since there's so much new construction. You can usually pay extra for pets but 3 sounds tough.

Old 05-06-2016, 03:18 PM

242 posts, read 377,392 times
We lived in Eden Prairie for six years and loved it. I'd move back if I could.

Old 05-14-2016, 11:05 AM

Anyone have thoughts on Prior Lake?

Old 05-15-2016, 05:36 PM

736 posts, read 814,352 times
Prior lake is "FINE" but really suburban and starting to get out of the way. It was a trendy area for awhile. I don't think there's anything wrong with it. But you'll always have to pass through the other suburbs first.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:18 PM

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or