U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-23-2016, 02:40 PM
 
1,025 posts, read 1,310,323 times
Reputation: 837

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb203 View Post
Hi, the kids, hubby and I are a diverse, progressive, and fun-loving family of 4, with 2 dogs and a young cat looking to rent in a suburban area that is welcoming and where the schools are above-average.

(FYI, have lived in several cities, such as Madison, Milwaulkee, Philly suburbs, Atlanta, Charlotte/Winston-Salem/Greensboro NC, Baltimore/DC area, and several Michigan cities)

Both kids are H.S. age, so this is our dilemma:

We are tired of schools with unchallenged drug (and sometimes gang)/bullying/disrespectful kids' issues. We have indeed found schools over the years with genuinely nice faculty, kids that are mostly friendly, and kids that are college-bound and/or have ambition, so we KNOW they exist

Just got back from visiting the area last month (thinking we would find something for our upcoming move in June, but we didn't)

Having a tough time with the recommended places of Plymouth, Eden Prairie, Minnetonka, and Edina. Looking to spend no more than $2400/mo on a 3-4 bedroom, 2+ bath place, preferrably with a fenced in yard and at least 1800 sq ft. This has been the hard part! Apartments, condos, townhomes, duplexes seem to be out, as we haven't found but a rare few that have sufficient indoor/outdoor space for 2 adults/2 teens and our well-behaved pets.

We are really trying to think outside of the box and are open to suggestions on communities/towns to look at that might fit the bill. We also need help 'ruling out' areas that are too snobby, too unsafe, or generally heading downhill.

Sorry for the long post, I am going into panic mode, as housing is usually not something I wait this long to secure! We are hoping this is the last (or nearly) the last move, as moving is getting old (and so are we) and we do not have to move anymore b/c of jobs.

Thanks for any advice, we value your time!
I too currently live in Charlotte and am looking to move once my wife graduates next spring. I am looking at Minneapolis due to transferring with my employer. If you do move please update this thread so I can see how the transition is. Good luck.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-24-2016, 09:24 AM
 
264 posts, read 244,574 times
Reputation: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
Prior lake is "FINE" but really suburban and starting to get out of the way. It was a trendy area for awhile. I don't think there's anything wrong with it. But you'll always have to pass through the other suburbs first.
Prior Lake is great if you like suburban/exurban lifestyle, and do not need to commute "north of the river." Shopping choices are somewhat limited (closest malls would probably be Burnsville and Eden Prairie), but then, there is Amazon With Fresh Thyme (spelling?) opening this year in nearby Savage, food shopping options will improve, I believe. A few interesting ethnic restaurants would be great.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2016, 09:38 AM
 
Location: E ND & NW MN
4,817 posts, read 9,865,811 times
Reputation: 3601
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
I too currently live in Charlotte and am looking to move once my wife graduates next spring. I am looking at Minneapolis due to transferring with my employer. If you do move please update this thread so I can see how the transition is. Good luck.
My nephew and his famly 10 years ago moved from the Charolotte area to the Twin Cities. They live in Chaska and loved it there. My nephew can work from home but occasionally has to drive to his office in Bloomington. They loved the schools in Chaska-Chanhassen and his kids are doing well. My nephew is from the Louisville area (I am from Kentucky as well originally) and his wife from the Plano Texas area. I do say the prices in North Carolina are significantly cheaper for what you get in the Twin Cities.

Heck where I live now in the Grand Forks ND-East Grand Forks MN region in far northwestern Miinnesota is more expensive than most anywhere down south.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2016, 07:50 PM
 
Location: Tampa, FL- For NOW
736 posts, read 812,815 times
Reputation: 907
Chaska and Chanhassen are nice but you pay for it. I think its all relative to what you want to spend. The whole metro is decent. Id live in any city/town except maybe Coon Rapid, Brooklyn Park and Brooklyn Center. ITs just not a hostile type place to live. I certainly favor the Apple Valley/Eagan/Burnsville triangle but that doesn't mean that other areas are not nice. I just think places like Prior Lake, Lakeville, Farmington etc get very suburban.

If you are familiar with charlotte let me compare a few places.

Prior lake would be like living in Waxhaw or about anywhere in Union County
Apple valley Would be like living in Huntersville/Concord area
Burnsville, Bloomington, Eagan would be similar to the Lake norman cities on the east side of i77 as far as type of commutes, lifestyle, shopping etc.
Chanhassen, Chaska Minnetonka etc would be like living on the western side on i77 in Huntersville/peninsula area
Rosemount MN would be like Mooresville NC in regard to commute and small town feel (except Mooresville is now blowing up)

The big difference between the MSP Metro and Charlotte is the size and number of cities inside the loop ass opposed to Charlotte where it is the only city in the loop.

Shakopee, Savage, Prior Lake etc. All rural, a little industrial feeling, long commutes to downtown but close to a lot of highways. sort of like indian trail NC

Edina would be very nice if you can spend the money to live there as well ass eden prarie. but I think Bang for the Buck goes to the Apple valley area. If youre on the St. Paul Side for work then you may even consider Hudson WI. Its a such a great growing town with a lot of charm and nice homes
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2016, 03:40 PM
 
1,349 posts, read 1,304,118 times
Reputation: 2369
Eden Prairie gets lumped in with Edina all the time but outside of Bear Path Country Club, EP feels like any of the other family-centered burbs (Lakeville, Maple Grove, Woodbury, Minnetonka, Plymouth etc). It's got a rep that's mostly underserved.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2016, 08:08 PM
 
20 posts, read 41,618 times
Reputation: 14
You asked about New Brighton, we've lived here for 4 years and found it to be safe and the schools are great (Irondale High School). I'd also say look at Roseville, Shoreview would be good---eh, not so much Columbia Heights or Blaine (I think traffic can be bad to/from Blaine).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2016, 08:26 AM
 
16 posts, read 18,577 times
Reputation: 26
Smile Thanks a ton for the comparison!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
Chaska and Chanhassen are nice but you pay for it. I think its all relative to what you want to spend. The whole metro is decent. Id live in any city/town except maybe Coon Rapid, Brooklyn Park and Brooklyn Center. ITs just not a hostile type place to live. I certainly favor the Apple Valley/Eagan/Burnsville triangle but that doesn't mean that other areas are not nice. I just think places like Prior Lake, Lakeville, Farmington etc get very suburban.

If you are familiar with charlotte let me compare a few places.

Prior lake would be like living in Waxhaw or about anywhere in Union County
Apple valley Would be like living in Huntersville/Concord area
Burnsville, Bloomington, Eagan would be similar to the Lake norman cities on the east side of i77 as far as type of commutes, lifestyle, shopping etc.
Chanhassen, Chaska Minnetonka etc would be like living on the western side on i77 in Huntersville/peninsula area
Rosemount MN would be like Mooresville NC in regard to commute and small town feel (except Mooresville is now blowing up)

The big difference between the MSP Metro and Charlotte is the size and number of cities inside the loop ass opposed to Charlotte where it is the only city in the loop.

Shakopee, Savage, Prior Lake etc. All rural, a little industrial feeling, long commutes to downtown but close to a lot of highways. sort of like indian trail NC

Edina would be very nice if you can spend the money to live there as well ass eden prarie. but I think Bang for the Buck goes to the Apple valley area. If youre on the St. Paul Side for work then you may even consider Hudson WI. Its a such a great growing town with a lot of charm and nice homes
Thanks again for the comparison, we have lived in homes on both side of I-77 in Huntersville and this is super helpful. We are still going for Apple Valley, just can't find housing:/ Everything there is being snatched up soooo fast this time of year.

What would you compare Eden Prairie to?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2016, 10:28 PM
 
Location: MPLS
752 posts, read 482,293 times
Reputation: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Harold View Post
"In smaller second tier areas the snobs are usually worse than in large cities with legitimate rich people. Sinclair Lewis made a career writing about the Minnesotan version."
I could see that, but how often do global elites living on the Upper East Side mingle with the masses? You may actually be familiar with people who earn ~$1M/yr. From my experience, they're generally more pleasant to be around than poseurs in McMansions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2016, 04:40 PM
 
197 posts, read 207,864 times
Reputation: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb203 View Post
Hi, the kids, hubby and I are a diverse, progressive, and fun-loving family of 4, with 2 dogs and a young cat looking to rent in a suburban area that is welcoming and where the schools are above-average.

(FYI, have lived in several cities, such as Madison, Milwaulkee, Philly suburbs, Atlanta, Charlotte/Winston-Salem/Greensboro NC, Baltimore/DC area, and several Michigan cities)

Both kids are H.S. age, so this is our dilemma:

We are tired of schools with unchallenged drug (and sometimes gang)/bullying/disrespectful kids' issues. We have indeed found schools over the years with genuinely nice faculty, kids that are mostly friendly, and kids that are college-bound and/or have ambition, so we KNOW they exist

Just got back from visiting the area last month (thinking we would find something for our upcoming move in June, but we didn't)

Having a tough time with the recommended places of Plymouth, Eden Prairie, Minnetonka, and Edina. Looking to spend no more than $2400/mo on a 3-4 bedroom, 2+ bath place, preferrably with a fenced in yard and at least 1800 sq ft. This has been the hard part! Apartments, condos, townhomes, duplexes seem to be out, as we haven't found but a rare few that have sufficient indoor/outdoor space for 2 adults/2 teens and our well-behaved pets.

We are really trying to think outside of the box and are open to suggestions on communities/towns to look at that might fit the bill. We also need help 'ruling out' areas that are too snobby, too unsafe, or generally heading downhill.

Sorry for the long post, I am going into panic mode, as housing is usually not something I wait this long to secure! We are hoping this is the last (or nearly) the last move, as moving is getting old (and so are we) and we do not have to move anymore b/c of jobs.

Thanks for any advice, we value your time!

Didn't bother reading all the other replies but if you want safer areas with good schools you're going to have to pay for it. Not sure why finding a house to rent for $2400 is so challenging. My wife and I are renting a 3700 sq ft house on 3 acres for $2800. Minnetonka and Edina are the most expensive areas of the twin cities usually. Have you looked outside of St. Paul? Mahtomedi has some of the best schools in the state! White Bear Township /Lake is very nice. Woodbury? etc. There are plenty of options but if you want to be closer to Minneapolis you're either going to find less than desirable neighborhoods or more expensive desirable ones. Bloomington maybe?


Not sure what you mean by too "snobby"? You mean too white and homogenous? Sorry to burst your bubble but the snobbier areas usually have the better schools and are safer and yes aren't as diverse and more "white".
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2016, 06:40 AM
 
16 posts, read 18,577 times
Reputation: 26
Wink More about Woodbury anyone??? Shady areas? High schools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWCM7950 View Post
Didn't bother reading all the other replies but if you want safer areas with good schools you're going to have to pay for it. Not sure why finding a house to rent for $2400 is so challenging. My wife and I are renting a 3700 sq ft house on 3 acres for $2800. Minnetonka and Edina are the most expensive areas of the twin cities usually. Have you looked outside of St. Paul? Mahtomedi has some of the best schools in the state! White Bear Township /Lake is very nice. Woodbury? etc. There are plenty of options but if you want to be closer to Minneapolis you're either going to find less than desirable neighborhoods or more expensive desirable ones. Bloomington maybe?


Not sure what you mean by too "snobby"? You mean too white and homogenous? Sorry to burst your bubble but the snobbier areas usually have the better schools and are safer and yes aren't as diverse and more "white".
It is hard to rent right now because supply is short and demand is high.
I am not going to correlate snobby with white, less homogenous areas. Whether it is often true or not has no bearing on this. I am biracial, so snobby is snobby. I don't need to live in any more towns where they stereotype/wonder if you are section 8 and/or uneducated just by your skin color!

We are now branching into the St. Paul area, so thanks for those recommendations! If anyone else has input, please post!!! Currently looking at Woodbury, but open to others!!!

Thanks again everyone!!!

Last edited by cmb203; 06-16-2016 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: Typo
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top