Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 07:54 AM

3,346 posts, read 1,268,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamnkats View Post
after almost 3 weeks here i honestly don't know how you people do this. my sister bought me one of those SAD lamps. i'm shocked at really how cold it is here. i'm wearing all my clothes to bed. i have to wear socks All Day! (back home, socks meant winter)

i know it is a big change but wow. i just keep thinking, only 4 years and we can move back hom.
LOL, reminds me of my Hispanic co-worker from Mexico who complains about the cool weather here in North California. I always remind him this is nothing compared to the arctic chill of the north where exposed limbs can get frost bite in a matter of minutes. He always wonders how people survive up there, lol.

What you are experiencing in Minnesota right now sounds like heaven compared to the 90 plus heat wave we been getting the last couple weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 09:05 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
My aunt was born and raised in a warm climate, Louisiana. She moved to Minnesota some time in the 70s. She has been living in Minneapolis ever since. Went to college, got married, raised two children in Mpls. It's her home now and she's not showing signs of wanting to live elsewhere. For her, the cold weather doesn't seem to be a big deal.

Old 06-07-2016, 11:30 AM

109 posts, read 188,859 times
Quote:
after almost 3 weeks here i honestly don't know how you people do this. my sister bought me one of those SAD lamps. i'm shocked at really how cold it is here. i'm wearing all my clothes to bed. i have to wear socks All Day! (back home, socks meant winter)

i know it is a big change but wow. i just keep thinking, only 4 years and we can move back home.

i have to say it is SUPER green here and we bought on a lake and watching the sunset over the lake is amazing. i also love that i don't need a car - i use my daughter's bike and the occasional bus to get around and only rented a van/car twice (to get larger furniture for the house).

i also LOVE the fact that MAIL arrives! it is incredible not to have to find someone coming to your area to bring you post.
I hear you jamn, I love tropical/caribbean weather and I think the weather here is too cold even now. I don't know when you arrived to MN but you better start physically and psychologically preparing for the winter. Plan on buying the warmest gear you can and don't plan on staying indoors all the time. In my opinion it's a recipe for sadness/depression. If you can't embrace it for what it is and stare it in the eye then you'll be miserable. But plan on going back to Mexico for some winter vacations if you can.

Old 06-07-2016, 11:57 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
I grew up in western Kentucky and am now a weather forecaster. I grew up always wanting to move north....I loved winter growing up and the snow that we did get at home. But it always melted too fast. Dreamed of moving north, way north and I did as I live about 300 miles northwest of the Twin Cities. Personally I dislike the sunshine and temperatures much above 70F....80F and above ick. I much prefer and am happier in the cloudier, snowier and colder days of winter. And where I live it is often at least 10-15 deg colder than southern Minnesota.

It is a personal preference for me. I could never live below 40 degrees N again.

Dan

Old 06-07-2016, 11:59 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
I do have a reverse-SAD condition where lots of sunny days in a row, make me quite irritable. I am unaffected by cloudy and cold days in the winter.

Old 06-08-2016, 02:00 AM

200 posts, read 174,989 times
I moved here from Florida. Always hated FL. Nasty people and nasty weather. Tropical storms, hurricanes, tornados, and anytime it rains it's a downpour. Downpours every afternoon on the walk home from school SUCKED! Way overpriced housing which is either ancient and needs remodeling or cheaply made cookie-cutter selling for top-dollar. Now with Zika, I don't think I'll even visit that hellhole again.

I prefer cold/snowy/rainy/cloudy days. Snow is so pretty, and rain smells so good! I'm actually disappointed with how sunny MN is. I don't like the hot summer days, but it cools off at night so I can deal with it. The trees here are so green and beautiful! The trees in FL are ugly and have teensy, pathetic leaves. The grass here isn't full of biting, stinging red ants and isn't coarse and crunchy. Also, the jobs here pay actual money, instead of peanuts! WOW!

This winter didn't scare me off, but did make me realize I didn't want to work at Mayo anymore because I don't want to drive through a blizzard or other snowstorm, so I got another job where I'm not one of those essential workers who is expected to risk my life. They don't pay me enough to die.

MN beats FL in a thousand ways. But no one here believes me. They spend two weeks on a beach and think I'm the one who's nuts.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:50 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,091,677 times
Quote:
We haven't really made it to the part of the year when it's full-on summer, yet. Usually by the end of June is when it starts getting hot on a semi-routine basis (85ºF+). Maybe you're one of those people who thrives in the heat like a reptile, but by mid-July I'm usually sweating profusely and generally miserable, even just walking a short distance in the sun. The heat and humidity is like torture from hell for me.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:05 PM

628 posts, read 1,437,209 times
I've lived back and forth between Minnesota and Arizona. Unless you're sensitive to temperature changes, it's not bad at all. The season I dislike most in Minnesota is easily summer. Winter is bit more comfortable imo.

Old 06-11-2016, 06:08 PM

82 posts, read 215,215 times
the last 2 days have been heavenly! and this basement idea is amazing. my daughter is too hot so she is in hte basement with her friend and much cooler there (too cold for me). what a country! loving the last couple days!

Old 06-14-2016, 10:49 AM

878 posts, read 1,207,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseSky View Post
I moved here from Florida. Always hated FL. Nasty people and nasty weather. Tropical storms, hurricanes, tornados, and anytime it rains it's a downpour. Downpours every afternoon on the walk home from school SUCKED! Way overpriced housing which is either ancient and needs remodeling or cheaply made cookie-cutter selling for top-dollar. Now with Zika, I don't think I'll even visit that hellhole again.

I prefer cold/snowy/rainy/cloudy days. Snow is so pretty, and rain smells so good! I'm actually disappointed with how sunny MN is. I don't like the hot summer days, but it cools off at night so I can deal with it. The trees here are so green and beautiful! The trees in FL are ugly and have teensy, pathetic leaves. The grass here isn't full of biting, stinging red ants and isn't coarse and crunchy. Also, the jobs here pay actual money, instead of peanuts! WOW!

This winter didn't scare me off, but did make me realize I didn't want to work at Mayo anymore because I don't want to drive through a blizzard or other snowstorm, so I got another job where I'm not one of those essential workers who is expected to risk my life. They don't pay me enough to die.

MN beats FL in a thousand ways. But no one here believes me. They spend two weeks on a beach and think I'm the one who's nuts.
WORD. Moved from FL and never, ever going back (except for visits-- preferably in February!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul