Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2016, 02:13 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,188,951 times

Advertisements

I was born in St. Paul and lived in the area until after kindergarten, in White Bear Lake.

My parents aren't from there, they're from Canada...so I'm not even sure if I'm "Minnesota" given that we moved to a few othe r states before high school graduation.

Anyway, I visited for a few days in May 1999, and liked the cities, even driving up to Duluth.

I noticed a bit of graffiti in Minneapolis and not much in St. Paul. I just hate illegal graffiti and am always pestering the city of Boston, via our 311 app, to clean it whenever I see it. One lady called me selfish for doing it; yes, it costs time and lots of money for the city to respond. She asked if I've been to Europe, seemingly implying it's seen everywhere there, and yet still desirable to live and visit European cities. Hmmm....

Will one see lots of tagging on roll-down security grates on storefront nowadays in MSP? Certain areas of Boston have them, and it's common to see major tagging all over them. Tourists don't see this since they're usually not roaming around at night when the grates are pulled over the storefronts. In fact, most visitors remark how beautiful and clean Boston is.

Yet it's so common to see rooftops and chimneys hit even in nice or historic areas in Boston. Forget the MassPike, Storrow Drive and some state highways -- lots of tagging. The walls along the subway tracks are disgraceful.

Do many rooftops get tagged in the Cities? Are the new subway lines passing by graffiti-marred buildings?

Do many of you just accept it as part of city life or even enjoy it?

AM I selfish or a good citizen when I report it?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 08:56 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,709,541 times
There is some graffiti here but it's not the huge problem it is in some other urban areas. This is just a different kind of place, as evidenced by the fact that we don't have those big roll down steel security doors on our stores.

The city and the neighborhood associations have also been very proactive in anti-graffiti measures. For example, in my neighborhood in Minneapolis we've commissioned a number of murals on buildings that could be a problem. We also wrapped all the utility boxes in photographic art. As a result, you rarely see graffiti anymore.

One other thing. Most of the graffiti- at least here - is not some frustrated artists. It's from gangs tagging their territories. So yes, you should report it. Here, the owners of tagged buildings have a very short time to paint over any tagging or they themselves get ticketed by the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul