Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 06:27 PM

10 posts, read 15,442 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'll be moving to MN, Burnsville to be exact from California. Yes, California.

I would appreciate ANY advice or knowledge about Burnsville. I will be right near Burnsville high school. Any word of wisdom or experience of Burnsville really would be appreciated. I am just trying to prepare and educate myself on things only locals would know.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 07:34 PM

2,891 posts, read 2,138,926 times
total wine at county 42 and aldrich. that's all you need to know

burnsville is a typical suburb with all the suburban things you'd expect. IMO there's not much that distinguishes it from the surrounding suburbs but others may disagree. it's been built out for quite awhile. it has all the stores and chain restaurants you'd expect and if it doesn't you'll find what you need in eagan or lakeville. parts of it are getting a bit tired and maybe even a bit dicey but i think overall it's fine.

learn the back roads to get to places so you can stay off of 42, it's a nightmare, or at least i always hated it. i'd use mcandrews whenever possible and that would get me most places i needed to go.

i haven't lived there for 10 years (moved to another suburb then finally left the state a couple years ago) but was back last summer. i'd have no qualms about moving back if i had to but the metro was just getting too big for me.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:44 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,695,327 times
I have lived in Burnsville and other cities in the south metro. Burnsville was the first suburb "south of the river" that was built out, due to highway 35. This gave it a shopping mall and early development in the 60s I'm guessing. For these reasons, it has a mild reputation as being the worst of the south metro cities when compared to apple valley, eagan, and lakeville. Parts by the river are industrial, and other parts are a bit worn. Perhaps slightly more crime than the others too.

But I'm being critical because that's what's useful to you. We are comparing a Lexus (eagan) and a Nissan (burnsville), not a lexus and a used smart car if that makes sense. As a whole 95% of the twin cities suburbs are pretty, safe, clean, with good schools, burnsville included. It just doesn't compare to it's neighbors because it has worse schools/crime/older infrastructure.

In an imature/overblown sense, it was known amongst my school district (D196, I went to Eagan. Bville is D191) when in high school that burnsville was the "ghetto school." Not really true, but relative to the nice new high schools we went to, that was certainly the image of burnsville. If it makes you feel any better, Rosemount was the "farm school" as it was more out in the country, lol.

Old 01-29-2016, 01:06 AM

Thank you, guys for your detailed information.

When I visited back in April of 2015, I stayed in Brooklyn Park. Someone advised me to not stay in that area since it's not "safe". But, I had not noticed anything bad or dicey. Just seemed like a chill suburb town with some African American residents. Not sure if that's what makes it "unsafe". I thought it was pretty nice there.

I am starting to think where we grow up and what we get accustomed to, for some certain things may draw an alarm and for some not. Seemed like Minneapolis in general was very nice and friendly. I think it'll be just nice living in Burnsville.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:27 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,695,327 times
Brooklyn park is a tale of two citoes, north of 85th, and south (a no-no)

Old 01-29-2016, 04:32 AM

46 posts, read 82,028 times
Why don't you contact to Move Masters, last year i have used their service and it was nice experience with them. Sharing a link for you. Contact Move Masters|Moving Services in Newport Beach, CA

Old 01-29-2016, 10:44 AM

540 posts, read 1,096,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
learn the back roads to get to places so you can stay off of 42, it's a nightmare, or at least i always hated it.

I live on the Apple Valley/Burnsville border and I can back this up - 42 sucks. It's always packed, especially around the exits to 35 and the Burnsville Center area.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweilo845 View Post
I live on the Apple Valley/Burnsville border and I can back this up - 42 sucks. It's always packed, especially around the exits to 35 and the Burnsville Center area.
ok, noted, thank you!

Old 02-01-2016, 10:57 AM

264 posts, read 313,789 times
McAndrews Dr and Southcross Dr are usually good alternatives to some portions of 42.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:34 AM

878 posts, read 1,207,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solafive View Post
Hi, I'll be moving to MN, Burnsville to be exact from California. Yes, California.

I would appreciate ANY advice or knowledge about Burnsville. I will be right near Burnsville high school. Any word of wisdom or experience of Burnsville really would be appreciated. I am just trying to prepare and educate myself on things only locals would know.

Thank you in advance!
Welcome. Surprisingly enough, there seems to be a number of California transplants here in MSP (but you'll definitely get a number of comments along the lines of, "You know it gets cold here, right?" ).

Not overly familiar with Burnsville, other than it seems well sited so you can easily commute into either downtown. Most of the 'knocks' on Burnsville seem to pertain to the school quality (which isn't thought to be on par with their neighbors, but is still likely better than many other districts in the country) and that there are some areas that have a higher density of low-income housing (not certain whether where you'll be living is close to those areas and/or whether that would concern/bother you).

Welcome to MN, hope you love it here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul