Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 06:57 PM

58 posts, read 229,789 times

Advertisements

Hi!

Before I continue, I'd like to ask that we not turn this into a debate about the need for gifted schools, or, the politics, the budgets, your own personal beliefs about the topic, any of that. I only say that because searching this forum, I've noticed that previous threads have devolved quickly.

The situation: Our family is considering a move back to the MN. Our oldest son is currently in a dedicated, public gifted school where we live. It's been wonderful for him and the way he learns, the social issues, sensitivity and all those things that go along with the way his brain works! We're hoping to find something similar in the Twin Cities.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about the programs that exist around town? We're open to being a ways out of the city if we need to (either city).

My initial searching has revealed some magnet schools (Capitol Hill, for example). Does anyone have experience with schools like that? How difficult is it to get into (lottery-wise)? Is it a crap shoot?

What about neighborhood schools? How good are the principles and teachers at helping kids who have wide disparities in abilities? How are the attitudes toward "high achieving" kids? Are they bullied?

Any experiences or info you can give me would be very helpful.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 08:33 PM

136 posts, read 327,592 times
I can add two bits of information about Capitol Hill. It is a gifted and talented magnet only through grade 5. Grades 6-8 is open enrollment, same as any other school. Also, just because you qualify for Capitol Hill in grades 1-5, that does not guarantee admission. All the kids who test in are entered into a lottery.

I don't know of any other gifted and talented schools.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:03 PM

701 posts, read 1,708,346 times
Gifted is relative, as you know. What qualifies for gifted in some public schools is normal in others. I'm not saying this as any sort of judgement on your children or program, but it's hard to have a conversation about the topic without noting this.

That said, Bloomington is supposed to have a good program.

I've found that smaller private schools have been a good fit for us. The social aspects are great (my kids are respected for their academic abilities by both teachers and peers) and the teachers can provide more individualized attention and more advanced curriculum.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnMomma View Post
Gifted is relative, as you know. What qualifies for gifted in some public schools is normal in others. I'm not saying this as any sort of judgement on your children or program, but it's hard to have a conversation about the topic without noting this.

That said, Bloomington is supposed to have a good program.

I've found that smaller private schools have been a good fit for us. The social aspects are great (my kids are respected for their academic abilities by both teachers and peers) and the teachers can provide more individualized attention and more advanced curriculum.
Of course. I'm starting under the assumption that his evaluation in MN will be similar to where we are, because, well, for now, that's all I can do.

Can you mention any specific smaller private schools that have been good?

Thanks.

Old 07-01-2016, 12:31 PM

371 posts, read 555,818 times
Gifted is relative. At some public elementary schools, the majority of kindergartners are eligible for Capitol Hill. Many don't apply because they want to stay in their neighborhood. Compared to some of the other good elem schools in St. Paul, Capitol Hill seems to have better band. On the other hand, at least a few years ago the students started foreign language a year later.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:33 AM

812 posts, read 2,172,026 times
The Lighthouse School in Spring Lake Park. It's done by application and interview. I know someone with kids there and her son, who struggled in her local public school, has done well there.

My personal experience with Hopkins school has been good. My son did one year in a school that was horrible for him, he was so far advanced he was years ahead of his peers. I moved him to Hopkins schools and he was no longer the best and brightest at anything, there's plenty of extremely intelligent kids there. They have a full time GT coordinator. I would recommend that district for kids who are in the moderately gifted range. I'd still seek out a dedicated gifted school if he is the high achiever with an IQ in the 140+ range. My son also received special education services and they have done a great job at maintaining balance of the sped needs and gifted needs.

I would look into joining MCGT (Minnesota Council of Gifted and Talented). The parents there are all over the area and can offer you personal experiences at several different schools.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:59 PM

371 posts, read 555,818 times
Also check out programs offered by MN Institute for Talented Youth.

Old 07-02-2016, 11:15 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,726,665 times
My son qualifies for gifted programs, but is in a regular classroom at a magnet Montessori school. I don't know about "regular" neighborhood schools, but in Montessori the focus is on mixed ages to begin with, with a philosophy that makes it easy for kids to work at their own level. His teachers have been great, too, and very aware of his individual educational progress and needs. He's certainly not the only smart kid in his classroom, and being picked on for being smart has never been a concern (I've been more concerned that he's very aware of who the " smart" kids are, and we've had some talks about how there are different types of intelligence, that people learn at different rates, etc.) Now if you have a highly gifted child working at a drastically higher level then you may need to look into a specialized program, but at least at our school, I think the needs of most G & T kids can be met.

If looking at housing, I'd pay attention to the junior and especially high schools, and see if they offer enough options for advanced courses.

Old 07-05-2016, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebinminn View Post
The Lighthouse School in Spring Lake Park. It's done by application and interview. I know someone with kids there and her son, who struggled in her local public school, has done well there.

My personal experience with Hopkins school has been good. My son did one year in a school that was horrible for him, he was so far advanced he was years ahead of his peers. I moved him to Hopkins schools and he was no longer the best and brightest at anything, there's plenty of extremely intelligent kids there. They have a full time GT coordinator. I would recommend that district for kids who are in the moderately gifted range. I'd still seek out a dedicated gifted school if he is the high achiever with an IQ in the 140+ range. My son also received special education services and they have done a great job at maintaining balance of the sped needs and gifted needs.

I would look into joining MCGT (Minnesota Council of Gifted and Talented). The parents there are all over the area and can offer you personal experiences at several different schools.
Thank you! Very helpful!

Old 07-05-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
My son qualifies for gifted programs, but is in a regular classroom at a magnet Montessori school. I don't know about "regular" neighborhood schools, but in Montessori the focus is on mixed ages to begin with, with a philosophy that makes it easy for kids to work at their own level. His teachers have been great, too, and very aware of his individual educational progress and needs. He's certainly not the only smart kid in his classroom, and being picked on for being smart has never been a concern (I've been more concerned that he's very aware of who the " smart" kids are, and we've had some talks about how there are different types of intelligence, that people learn at different rates, etc.) Now if you have a highly gifted child working at a drastically higher level then you may need to look into a specialized program, but at least at our school, I think the needs of most G & T kids can be met.

If looking at housing, I'd pay attention to the junior and especially high schools, and see if they offer enough options for advanced courses.
That's good to know, thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul