Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 01:05 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,654,497 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. So I'm seriously considering a visit to the Twin Cities area at the end of the month. I'll be there for 4 days (July 27-30th) and already have MOA planned of course. Can you suggest things to do?

I know there are a lot of lakes, so are there any boat tours or cruises we could take? Something similar to the river tours in Chicago? We have nothing like that in Denver, so that would be cool

Any festivals or cool events around that time? And is Downtown worth a visit? I'd like to check out the skywalk system (It looks really neat just by looking at videos). I'd also like to visit one of the Zoos in the area. Which would you suggest?

Additionally, how would the weather typically be around this time?

Sorry for all the questions. Just need some opinions. Thanks for any feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 08:50 AM

23,769 posts, read 28,915,352 times
Lake Minnetonka (view the rich and famous)
Lake Minnetonka Boat Cruises, Dinner Cruises | Al & Alma's Charter Cruises

Stillwater (lower St Croix)
Home - St Croix Boat & Packet

Taylors Falls (upper St Croix)
Wild Mountain : Taylors Falls Recreation - Boats Home

Old 07-03-2016, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Lake Minnetonka (view the rich and famous)
Lake Minnetonka Boat Cruises, Dinner Cruises | Al & Alma's Charter Cruises

Stillwater (lower St Croix)
Home - St Croix Boat & Packet

Taylors Falls (upper St Croix)
Wild Mountain : Taylors Falls Recreation - Boats Home
Omg, thank you! These look really great.

Old 07-03-2016, 10:48 PM

279 posts, read 758,073 times
You don't really need the skyway system in July, that's mostly for January. I suppose it would be useful if it's 95 degrees outside though.

I prefer Como zoo to the Minnesota zoo. It is a nice modest sized zoo and Como is a really nice and very large park. If you have kids there is a small amusement park attached to it called ComoTown. Rides and such.

MOA also has an aquarium in it that is all right. I'm sure it doesn't compare to some of the big city aquariums around but we go there every few years because the kids like it.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:54 PM

I made my final decision and I'm definitely going now. Can't wait to explore this beautiful city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellstone View Post
You don't really need the skyway system in July, that's mostly for January. I suppose it would be useful if it's 95 degrees outside though.

I prefer Como zoo to the Minnesota zoo. It is a nice modest sized zoo and Como is a really nice and very large park. If you have kids there is a small amusement park attached to it called ComoTown. Rides and such.

MOA also has an aquarium in it that is all right. I'm sure it doesn't compare to some of the big city aquariums around but we go there every few years because the kids like it.
Thanks for the input! Good stuff

Old 07-05-2016, 07:17 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,332,231 times
If you like biking, I'd strongly recommend doing a bike ride loop around the city. You could use Nice Ride bikes, available throughout the city. One popular route would be to start downtown along the river, bike along the river down to Minnehaha park, check out the falls, bike minnehaha parkway west to lake Harriet, checking out lots of nice 1910s-1930s homes along the way. You could have lunch or coffee in linden hills, then bike to lake Calhoun. Take dean parkway north of lake street. There you could either hook up to the kennelworth trail and bike downtown or bike along dean parkway to lake of the isles to north end of lake and then bike east through Lowry hill (Douglas or mt curve) to Walker sculpture garden to Loring park.
http://midwestweekends.com/plan_a_tr...nd_rounds.html
https://www.niceridemn.org
Another option on lake Minnetonka is the trolley boat, from excelsior to Wayzata. https://www.steamboatminnehaha.org

Old 07-05-2016, 07:21 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,649,193 times
Yes, if you're coming here you must bike. Rent a nice one, those Nice Ride ones are good for short differences but would be brutal if you intend to bike around the city.

Last edited by Minnesota Spring; 07-05-2016 at 07:59 PM..

Old 07-05-2016, 07:32 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,724,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellstone View Post

It's also free!!

Old 07-05-2016, 09:24 PM

6 posts, read 7,305 times
If you go to Stillwater, be sure to check out Nelson's Ice Cream and the Teddy Bear Park for the kids. Then head over to Downtown White Bear Lake...The lake is low, but the town can't be beat. They have some great, great restaurants including Pizzaria Pezzo. We are coming home to visit at the same time! Summer in Minnesota can't be beat! Oh- be sure to grab some mosquito repellent!

Old 07-06-2016, 07:40 AM

3,713 posts, read 3,651,459 times
I will second others suggestions. I would say downtown will be a ghost town outside of M-F/9-5, it doesn't have the central presence that DT denver has, for instance. The skyways (Those crazy Iowans call them Skywalks!!!) are a novelty, but once again on weekends the shops are all closed.

I would say to visit como zoo for the following reasons: 1) it's free, 2) has an amusement park designed for kids, 3) it has the one of a kind conservatory as well

Do:
rent bikes and ride around the chain of lakes. You will love this.
Visit DT stillwater, the birthplace of MN
go to Minnehaha Falls
Rent a Paddleboard on Lake of the Isles, then paddle through the channel to Cedar Lake
Visit the St. Paul farmers market and catch a Saints game at the new stadium, it's very inexpensive
Drive along summit ave in st. paul and look at all the mansions
Eat on the patio at Psycho Suzie's on a nice day, the patio overlooks the Mississippi and is Amazing
Walk along St. Anthony falls (birthplace of Minne) and look at the stonearch bridge, walk the lookout bridge inside the Guthrie museum

Hope these help. 4 days is a bit short for a day trip, but if you were feeling adventurous, the north shore (Duluth) offers wonderful scenery and outdoor activities in the summer, it's truly a unique place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul