Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 10:00 PM

6,539 posts, read 7,118,145 times

Advertisements

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...-cop-killings/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 10:19 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,736,000 times
I grew up in a communist country where civil rights did not exist. They could beat the crap out of you for talking back to the police. The education served me well. Forty-five years later, living in America, I can say I never had the smallest problem with a police officer. I was able to avoid several traffic tickets by being extremely humble and always blaming myself.
This is not to excuse the police in Louisiana and Minnesota. But I think there should be a high school class or another class when getting a driver's license, going through point by point, like: "WHAT TO DO WHEN APPROACHED BY A POLICE OFFICER."
A class like that could be a life saver, like learning first aid or driving without texting.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:37 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,192,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
If protests happen among minorities and activists, but nobody in the mainstream talks about it, no changes are going to take place.
The white male governor of Minnesota, Mark Dayton, adddressed it very assertively right after it happened. He condemned the two officers at the scene of the murder of Philando Castile, especially the officer who shot him four times, and he called it racism and violence. He said it would not have happened if the couple in the car had been white.

The officer that fired four shots into the victim should be in custody instead of on "administrative leave". Why are those that are supposed to set the example given this "free pass"? If any other citizen had done this, they would be in custody. If they think that is an unfair burden, they can find a new line of work. I have the utmost respect for those officers that believe they are not above the law, show it by their actions, and accept that accountability! These two officers obviously fall pathetically short of that standard and I would be very surprised if they ever work another day for a Minnesota law enforcement organization after killing an innocent man for no good reason (regardless of whether a jury convicts or acquits them).

Last edited by chessgeek; 07-08-2016 at 10:58 PM..

Old 07-08-2016, 11:10 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
^^^
We just don't know what transpired before he was shot. Until more information is released, even to overlay what is to anyone a tragic scene of a man dying after being shot by police, then we don't know exactly what transpired to cause the police officer to fire his gun. It certainly could be completely unjustified, and potentially, murder, or it could be something else.

Regardless, it is tragic and horrible result from a simple traffic stop that should be analyzed (which sound so cold but, ultimately, that is what needs to be done) from all aspects to prevent it from ever happening again.

Old 07-08-2016, 11:12 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,405,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
The white male governor of Minnesota, Mark Dayton, adddressed it very assertively right after it happened. He condemned the two officers at the scene of the murder of Philando Castile, especially the officer who shot him four times, and he called it racism and violence. He said it would not have happened if the couple in the car had been white.

The officer that fired four shots into the victim should be in custody instead of on "administrative leave". Why are those that are supposed to set the example given this "free pass"? If any other citizen had done this, they would be in custody. If they think that is an unfair burden, they can find a new line of work. I have the utmost respect for those officers that believe they are not above the law, show it by their actions, and accept that accountability! These two officers obviously fall pathetically short of that standard and I would be very surprised if they ever work another day for a Minnesota law enforcement organization after killing an innocent man for no good reason (regardless of whether a jury convicts or acquits them).
It appears the MN cop is guilty, but let's let a full investigation happen and get all the facts before we declare guilt. Remember Ferguson? The riots that started BLM turns out were all in vain. The cop ended up being fully acquitted by a federal jury led by a black U.S. attorney general Eric Holder (and a jury sees WAY more detail and facts of the case then you or I ever will). So all that media frenzy and riots for nothing and based on an entirely false premise. That cop should be able to sue the media for ruining his life.

Remember Zimmerman/Martin? The media frenzy declaring Zimmerman guilty before he was tried. All the prominent black athletes tweeting, wearing Trayvon tee shirts and hoodies, Obama coming out before he had all the facts of a full investigation and saying, "if I had a son he would look like Trayvon". Guess what, a jury found him NOT GUILTY too. And I remember the sickening media depiction that intentionally lightened Zimmerman's skin in photos to try and make him look more white and downplayed the fact he was half Hispanic (because the media knows a white killing a black means WAY more $$$ in ratings and ad revenue).

Old 07-08-2016, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Yep. All this talk white people have about "the right to bear arms," and here we have a black male who is legally exercising that right, and he's killed..

The killings of cops in Dallas is horrible and unnecessary, but is it surprising? Black people have been marching since the 50s and there's still a lot to go. Police forces need to take cases like this seriously. Racial hatred is systematically harboured in law enforcement.
Spot on! Either we all have that right or none of us do. Prejudice on that issue is inexcusable. Minnesota's governor, Mark Dayton, has shown great courage to speak out and IMO will no doubt be attacked by those who do not want change despite these three terrible tragedies (Baton Rouge; Falcon Heights, MN; Dallas) that occurred just a few days after we celebrated our nation 240th birthday! Very sad, but I am hopeful for progress nonetheless.

Last edited by chessgeek; 07-08-2016 at 11:40 PM..

Old 07-08-2016, 11:35 PM

6,539 posts, read 7,118,145 times
The link I posted said the guy didn't have a conceal permit, the cop pulled him over because he was an armed robbery suspect (makes a ton of sense on what happened), and you can see his gun on lap while bleeding in the car (similar gun to robbery) If this is all factual, nothing to see here, move along. How many of you guys have been on ride alongs? I've been on three weekend night ones. (11pm-6 am) You see and deal with the scum of society, I got to listen to someone tell the officer how he's going to kill him as we took them to jail for a dwi.

Old 07-08-2016, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
It appears the MN cop is guilty, but let's let a full investigation happen and get all the facts before we declare guilt. Remember Ferguson? The riots that started BLM turns out were all in vain. The cop ended up being fully acquitted by a federal jury led by a black U.S. attorney general Eric Holder (and a jury sees WAY more detail and facts of the case then you or I ever will). So all that media frenzy and riots for nothing and based on an entirely false premise. That cop should be able to sue the media for ruining his life.

Remember Zimmerman/Martin? The media frenzy declaring Zimmerman guilty before he was tried. All the prominent black athletes tweeting, wearing Trayvon tee shirts and hoodies, Obama coming out before he had all the facts of a full investigation and saying, "if I had a son he would look like Trayvon". Guess what, a jury found him NOT GUILTY too. And I remember the sickening media depiction that intentionally lightened Zimmerman's skin in photos to try and make him look more white and downplayed the fact he was half Hispanic (because the media knows a white killing a black means WAY more $$$ in ratings and ad revenue).
Sure, further investigation needs to be done. However, the double standard of being placed on "administrative leave" if one is a police officer (that btw, is supposed to set the example!) vs. being taken into a custody for those citizens who are not officers when they do exactly the same thing, is simply inexcusable. Don't even try to justify that, sir!

Last edited by chessgeek; 07-08-2016 at 11:50 PM..

Old 07-08-2016, 11:50 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,015,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
The link I posted said the guy didn't have a conceal permit, the cop pulled him over because he was an armed robbery suspect (makes a ton of sense on what happened), and you can see his gun on lap while bleeding in the car (similar gun to robbery) If this is all factual, nothing to see here, move along. How many of you guys have been on ride alongs? I've been on three weekend night ones. (11pm-6 am) You see and deal with the scum of society, I got to listen to someone tell the officer how he's going to kill him as we took them to jail for a dwi.

I knew that was BS - now we'll hear how he sang in the church choir and what a good boy he was.

Old 07-08-2016, 11:56 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,405,361 times
Here is the whole unvarnished REAL truth of this matter. The number of wrongful killings of black men by cops is a pretty tiny number. Especially considering the hugely disproportionate number of violent crimes committed by black males in America (far higher percentage than any other ethnic group). Is everyone of those deaths still a tragedy? Of course. Should those cops who commit those wrongful killings be prosecuted to the full extent? Of course. Should police forces do everything they can do to change to prevent this? Of course.

But what makes BLM and so much of the media frenzy about this lose all credibility is that FIVE THOUSAND PLUS young black men are killed by other young black men a year! And you hear little about this in the media. Instead all you hear about is the tiny handful of white cops shooting black males wrongfully. There are no riots about it, there are no press conferences by the president, there are no talk shows, there are no athletes tweeting about it. If BLM had any credibility at all they would be rioting and protesting in the 'hood everyday against the black thugs in their own community that kill FIVE THOUSAND + other black men annually. But they don't, because in all honestly they really don't give a crap about black lives. They only care about the mileage they get out of the media frenzy and race baiting they get via the small handful of white cop/black male shootings a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul