Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2016, 12:23 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,577,472 times

Advertisements

Prince bought the 'Purple Rain' house - CNN.com

Before they change it here is the excerpt I am annoyed with.

Quote:
An unassuming three bedroom house on Snelling Avenue in Minneapolis, Minnesota had a special place in Prince's heart.
Who else gets annoyed when the mainstream media refers to everything as being in Minneapolis? I am sure some of my fellow StP citizens will agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 12:31 PM

701 posts, read 1,699,148 times
I do find it annoying that Minneapolis is often referenced when an incident occurs that is not in the city, but this house is in Minneapolis. It's in the Longfellow neighborhood, just east of Hiawatha (3420 Snelling Ave S).

Old 07-21-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnMomma View Post
I do find it annoying that Minneapolis is often referenced when an incident occurs that is not in the city, but this house is in Minneapolis. It's in the Longfellow neighborhood, just east of Hiawatha (3420 Snelling Ave S).
Oh wow, egg on my face. I didn't even know Minneapolis had a Snelling Ave.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:39 PM

2,528 posts, read 3,034,352 times
To answer your general question, I don't really find it annoying, although I can certainly understand how St Paulites may feel that their city is being slighted when Minneapolis gets the dateline of something that's happening in St Paul.

It's common throughout the world to refer to geographic locations by referencing the primary city within a broader urban area. If someone is attending a convention in Long Beach or Riverside, there's a good chance that they'll tell you they're going to Los Angeles. The last time I flew through New York, I didn't even enter the state of New York, let alone the city limits.

If you look through the British media, it's easy to find news stories about Prince that make reference to "Chanhassen, Minneapolis", or to see the Mall of America referred to as being in "Bloomington, Minneapolis". This doesn't represent a lack of geographical knowledge on the part of the British press, it is merely a standard way of defining location: the specific community, followed by the name of the primary city of the urbanized area in which that community is located.

With that said, I certainly think St Paul sometimes gets unfairly overshadowed by Minneapolis in the national and international media. On the other hand, we should also remember that much of what is in Minneapolis doesn't actually get credited to the city. For example, St Paul has a great orchestra which carries the city's name. Minneapolis also has a great orchestra, but it's referred to as The Minnesota Orchestra. The signs for the St Paul campus of the U of M read "St Paul Campus". The signs for the Minneapolis campus read "Twin Cities Campus".

Old 07-21-2016, 05:58 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,091,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
Oh wow, egg on my face. I didn't even know Minneapolis had a Snelling Ave.
wait until you find out about minnehaha avenue in mpls, which is just east of the mpls snelling.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
wait until you find out about minnehaha avenue in mpls, which is just east of the mpls snelling.
Minnehaha Ave I already knew, and to me makes more sense (Minnehaha Falls) than the Minnehaha Ave in St. Paul.

Snelling Ave just doesn't seem right though. It would be like St Paul having some inconspicuous street named Lyndale Ave.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:48 AM

23,771 posts, read 28,862,087 times
few other Minneapolis street names you may get annoyed about...

St Paul Avenue

Jackson St

Summit Avenue

Old 07-22-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
few other Minneapolis street names you may get annoyed about...

St Paul Avenue

Jackson St

Summit Avenue
It's not the streets that annoy me. I have never seen Purple Rain so I thought the article was talking about Snelling Ave in St. Paul, but decided to say Snelling Ave in Minneapolis (like no one would know where St. Paul is).

Old 07-22-2016, 09:19 AM

23,771 posts, read 28,862,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
It's not the streets that annoy me. I have never seen Purple Rain so I thought the article was talking about Snelling Ave in St. Paul, but decided to say Snelling Ave in Minneapolis (like no one would know where St. Paul is).

you're exactly right and references to Minneapolis during St Paul events are far too common, on the other hand, the Castile shooting is pretty much now assumed by the rest of the media and country to have occurred in Minneapolis.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
you're exactly right and references to Minneapolis during St Paul events are far too common, on the other hand, the Castile shooting is pretty much now assumed by the rest of the media and country to have occurred in Minneapolis.
Exactly, every national news station would say "a suburb of Minneapolis" when in fact Falcon Heights is a suburb of St. Paul.

I am just waiting for the day when something happens in St. Paul and the newscycle refers to it as a Minneapolis suburb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul