Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 11:36 AM

928 posts, read 1,100,947 times

Advertisements

I relocated to the Twin Cities back in early June. I have a lot of local clients due to my job. When I tell everyone that I just moved and I am really enjoying the area abd all it has to offer, I always hear the same thing: "Oh, you just came here. Give it a year and see if you like it then!"

My quesion is, is living here really that miserable or is this just people's way of being self deprecating thr same way that a Minnesotan will answer "How are you" with "Not bad" or "Could be worse" instead of just saying "Great, Things are going very well".

And by the way, its not like Minnesota is the only place in the world where it gets cold and it snows. Other places have winters too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 11:53 AM

367 posts, read 544,916 times
I moved here over 20 years ago and have rarely heard anyone say that. Sure, people constantly complain about the weather, but outside of that, most folks I've come across really like it here and appreciate the quality of life Minnesota offers.

There will always be people in life who try to make lemons from lemonade; luckily, they usually can be ignored. I'm glad you're enjoying the area and hope you continue to do so.

Old 09-12-2016, 12:19 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,704,608 times
It's a manner of speaking and I'm sure they're just trying to find a way to not be bragging. Don't read too much into it.

Old 09-12-2016, 04:19 PM

254 posts, read 458,009 times
They are probably half joking, but let's be real. It is easy to love Minnesota in the summer. Everyone loves Minnesota in the summer. Minnesota is like the 3rd or 4th coldest state, and those states colder tend to be low traffic.

Many people tolerate Minnesotan winters because of how nice it is the rest of the year.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:25 PM

242 posts, read 432,863 times
I heard people say it all the time. The only part which was rough for me was January - April because winter just seemed to drag on. Other than that I'd move back there in a heartbeat if I could.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:42 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,692,864 times
Yes, this is peoples way of being self deprecating. Its actually a way of trying to relate, more than it is a warning about the severe weather.

You are correct, a good portion of the US gets very cold in the winter. While we do get colder than pretty much every other major metro area, it's all a matter of how you dress. And also note that the city is designed around this fact: Skyway system downtown, WFH when it snows, a huge mall to give you space in the winter, a fabulous airport to give you an easy vacation, cities that salt before the storms and are quick to plow.

A simple example is this. If an airport in Ohio gets snow, it might delay flights for half a day. You can get 6 inches of snow here with zero delays at the airport. People here have adapted to best deal with winter.

That being said, in January it can be below zero and gray for 7 days straight, all the while getting dark at 4:30 pm before you're even home for work. That's just a reality, but one has to think of the opportunity cost. It's not as though you can just move to the other 90% of the US where winter doesn't exist, but I think that's the trick out mind plays on us sometimes.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:23 PM

733 posts, read 759,278 times
I think the key is to experience winter. Everyone loves Minnesota summers! So while I haven't heard that saying much, I would take it as "glad you like it now, but let me know how you like it during winter." And yes, I'd say it is along the lines of "could be worse" type mentality.

But there is plenty to do year-round, and you obviously knew we get cold and snow in MN in the winter, so don't let the comments scare you off. Just wear a jacket and enjoy it! It's better to embrace winter than hide from it.

And welcome to Minnesota, glad things are going well!

Old 09-14-2016, 03:42 PM

7,020 posts, read 4,885,827 times
I got that a couple times too when I went back a few years ago. I just shrugged and said I knew how it was because I was raised in Minnesota. Then I got the, "Well, bet you never saw snow like we had last winter!" You can't win.

Old 09-14-2016, 04:29 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,706,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I got that a couple times too when I went back a few years ago. I just shrugged and said I knew how it was because I was raised in Minnesota. Then I got the, "Well, bet you never saw snow like we had last winter!" You can't win.
Yeah. We are very weirdly proudly aggressive/pessimists/one-uppers about the weather.

Old 09-15-2016, 01:00 PM

168 posts, read 256,164 times
The same notion is said over in South Dakota to transplants. If you survive a bad winter up here you are "one of us".

Part of my motivation to move back to Mpls is for the weather. Winters in Mpls are slightly less brutal than in Sioux Falls. Sioux Falls gets slightly colder temps and much stronger winds for longer durations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul