Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 03:28 PM

178 posts, read 346,694 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

Anyone move to MPLS with a tween? Our child struggles some to recognize friends and has worked on this with our help. We're curious about positive ways transplants to MPLS have made friends. We are not religious folks but are considering youth groups. What worked for your kids?

We're also wondering about Halloween. I think our child feels a lot of pressure to be doing something awesome for halloween, but we are arriving just before. We've set them at ease and said it gets easier when a little older I don't expect a few days are enough to meet other kids, but wondering -- do you know of fun t(w)een activities in the area?

I realize every kid is different - more wanting to get some models and ideas of how we might want to approach this than anything. Thanks!

Last edited by considering; 10-17-2016 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: clarity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 04:19 PM

43 posts, read 72,512 times
If this is anyhere near where you are living and okay to go to early, the Springbrook Nature Center in Fridley (a inner ring northern suburb of Minneapolis) has a Pumpkin Night in the Park with a lot of kids attending. It is on the 22nd of October and admission is 8 dollars a person, though 4 packs of tickets can be pre-ordered that are $1 less person. My daughter and I have volunteered there and had quite a bit of fun, although it can get crowded. A link is below for the event on the Center's website.

Pumpkin Night in the Park | Fridley, MN - Official Website

Old 10-17-2016, 05:05 PM

701 posts, read 1,708,119 times
There are organized Halloween events throughout the Twin Cities but if you're moving into a neighborhood, I'd recommend trick or treating there in order to meet some people and hopefully your child will blend into a group.

As for meeting people, school, sports, clubs and camps are always easy way for kids to get to know each other.

If you let us know in what area you'll be living I'm sure this group can give you some specific recommendations.

Old 10-17-2016, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnMomma View Post
There are organized Halloween events throughout the Twin Cities but if you're moving into a neighborhood, I'd recommend trick or treating there in order to meet some people and hopefully your child will blend into a group.

As for meeting people, school, sports, clubs and camps are always easy way for kids to get to know each other.

If you let us know in what area you'll be living I'm sure this group can give you some specific recommendations.
Thanks, this is helpful thinking. We will be in the Pearl Park/Field/Page area.

Old 10-17-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Scowl View Post
If this is anyhere near where you are living and okay to go to early, the Springbrook Nature Center in Fridley (a inner ring northern suburb of Minneapolis) has a Pumpkin Night in the Park with a lot of kids attending. It is on the 22nd of October and admission is 8 dollars a person, though 4 packs of tickets can be pre-ordered that are $1 less person. My daughter and I have volunteered there and had quite a bit of fun, although it can get crowded. A link is below for the event on the Center's website.

Pumpkin Night in the Park | Fridley, MN - Official Website
Thanks - I'll check it out.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:52 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
Great question. My family moved to the Twin Cities when I was a tween (I'm now 30) and I have always been an introvert on the more social end of the introvert spectrum (I hate making introductions but I love a good deep conversation).

In general, i just made friends over time through school, but perhaps this took a good 3 months. I know you mentioned you are not religious, but youth groups truly are great. I am a youth group volunteer leader, and my best friend is a youth pastor (Burnsville), and it really is a great way to make friends quickly. Most youth pastors have a way of looking out for newcomers and getting to know them quickly, making introductions, etc. Not to mention the kids in most youth groups I have seen tend to be less judgmental, less cliquey, and more welcoming.

Secondly, Minnesotans LOVE their parks. Start taking family walks down to your nearest park and I promise you that you will strike up conversations with other moms and dads in your neighborhood. They will welcome you and clue you in to the other kids your child's age in the community.

Many church's host Halloween events for the public, many others trick or treat at the mall of america, I also know there are many "haunted" type places with hayrides and such. I admit I'm a bit removed from what a tween would find interesting on Halloween.

Lastly, and I'm just going to be Frank about this. Minnesotans are nice, but in general we are not conversation initiators. Every time I have moved to a new neighborhood, (I know this is backwards from how it should work) my wife and I baked cookies and knocked on the neighbors doors to introduce ourselves. In a perfect world, they would have done this to us, but after several weeks waiting we realized we had to take introductions into our own hands if we wanted them to happen. People loved meeting us (and perhaps felt guilty for not welcoming us first), and even though it was uncomfortable for us, it has always been worth it so I recommend you do the same.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:28 PM

275 posts, read 331,950 times
Check these out, maybe you'll find one your kid is interested in.

https://www.minneapolisparks.org/events/?c997page=3

Old 10-29-2016, 12:57 PM

Thanks everyone. I think 12 is an interesting age. Still wants to be a kid, but doesn't want to just hang out with littles. We're going to try neighborhood trick or treating and then maybe go out to to one of the pumpkin light walks. Looking forward to knowing some more kids soon.

Old 11-01-2016, 08:27 AM

30 posts, read 38,396 times
25 years ago, my family moved to Minnesota 2 weeks before Halloween when I was 11 years old. Another family on our cul-de-sac had a family of 4 girls, a couple of them about my age, and they took me under their wing and we trick or treated in about 3 feet of snow (Halloween Storm 1991!!). That was our Welcome to Minnsnowta!! Have you met other families in your neighborhood?

Old 11-01-2016, 09:49 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Keep in mind that besides kids moving into town, lots of kids start new schools at that age (or even if they do attend a junior high with some elementary school friends, they'll end up in classes with lots of other kids they've never met before) so just give it some time. And the parks suggestion is a good one; you could check out class offerings and see if there are things for your kid/kids. I don't know about the park buildings in your specific area, but they can also be places for kids to hang out. Some of the local libraries have programming or offerings specifically for tweens and teens, some of it homework-oriented, some of it more social.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul