Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 11:03 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,909,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Check with the MSHSL to make sure he will be eligible to play if he transfers. With a few exceptions, transfers have to sit out a year. http://mshsl.org/mshsl/TransferEligi...eview_2017.pdf

I’m sure you know that average players don’t get college scholarship offers. Less than 3% of high school athletes in Minnesota go on to play in college much less get a scholarship offer. Better to focus on the academics.

Is that all athletics or just basketball. I would think Hockey and even wrestling would be much higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 11:04 AM

I think the 3 schools that make sense from a distance standpoint would be Edina, Holy angels and Benilde St Margaret's. All close enough for me to get to. I think they would be a step up from Richfield.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:34 AM

5,833 posts, read 7,676,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
Is that all athletics or just basketball. I would think Hockey and even wrestling would be much higher.
All sports across the state per MSHSL.

Quote:
I think the 3 schools that make sense from a distance standpoint would be Edina, Holy angels and Benilde St Margaret's. All close enough for me to get to. I think they would be a step up from Richfield.
Deadline for open enrollment was in February. They may make an exception but it is late in the game for a transfer.

Old 05-22-2019, 03:49 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,728,551 times
Quote:
Holy Angels was good enough for Larry Fitzgerald Jr., just saying. They're in the neighborhood. They do great things with financial aid packages. He might even end up going there for free.

In terms of college scholorships, HS basketball doesn't mean much. College recruiters follow the AAU circuit, not HS basketball. Get him on a top AAU team so he gets the best coaching, plays against the best competition & gets the most exposure.

Also, don't get sucked into chasing a D1 scholorship, if he's not a a D1 athlete. Go watch the top AAU teams at his age group. Ask yourself if he's on par with those kids athletically, or is he one step down, more of a D2/D3 athlete?

So many kids fight for a D1 schollie, then transfer down after realizing their mistake. If your kid's on the bubble, it's often more fun playing a lot at D2 or D3 for most kids, than fighting to stay on the team at D1, as they try to recruit over you ever year.

My girls play soccer. They're not D1 athletes. I'm realistic about that. When we play against D1 recruits, there's a notable difference. Mine might be looking at a D2/D3 decision? In the case of girls soccer, lot's of girls use their soccer skills to get into really good schools at the D3 level that they wouldn't have qualified for otherwise, over attending a lesser D2 school like Bemidgi St, on a full ride. Which is a better fit for your kid? A degree from U of St Thomas, where they will help him with academic scholorships, but no athletic scholorship, or a degree from Minnesota St. Mankato where he'd get a full athletic scholorship? It's different for every athlete & family.

Good luck & enjoy the journey. These are great times. When they're over, you'll miss them.

Old 05-22-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Guys I have to update this. So stepson is now a sophomore about to finish up at Richfield. He starts varsity but I'm not sure if it's because he's tall or what. he's still pretty raw and just needs to learn the game. His mom put him on an AAU team and I like AAU. But it's mostly just a traveling league. Anyways, he has 2 years left to get a college scholarship. I still think basketball is his best shot at a full or halfway ride. Grades are good. HOnor roll student. I'm thinking about transferring him to a better school. Richfield is a decent but I think we've gotten too comfortable. He needs to be on a team that's going to get the most out of him. Holy Angels would be great if he got a scholarship. My only issue with them is there's hardly any African americans.
I forgot to ask the most important question: Does he want to switch schools? Or is it you, who wants him to switch schools? It's got to be his decision. Also, be careful as this is the age kids drop out of sports & it's often because of pressure from the parents.

Being Black & an honor roll student, he's going to get academic scholorships/assistance at the next level regardless of basketball.

Good luck & keep us updated.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
I forgot to ask the most important question: Does he want to switch schools? Or is it you, who wants him to switch schools? It's got to be his decision. Also, be careful as this is the age kids drop out of sports & it's often because of pressure from the parents.

Being Black & an honor roll student, he's going to get academic scholorships/assistance at the next level regardless of basketball.

Good luck & keep us updated.

I want him to switch. I looked it up and Richfield doesn't have many basketball players going to D1 schools. If you're going to make a commitment to play high school basketball and AAU basketball, it's to get a scholarship. We're not doing this for fun. Especially with the money AAU costs. Also just because you're black and an honor roll student does not guarantee a scholarship. Even going to the top HBCU colleges(Hampton, Morehouse, Howard), you're not getting a full ride. To get a full ride, you have to really stand out. You have a higher chance getting a full ride by playing sports. Not sure if you know Mo'ne Davis. But she got a full scholarship playing softball for Hampton. She was the female pitcher in the little league and became a huge name.

https://www.mnbasketballhub.com/mn-collegiate-players

This is the list I found online. Most of these ball players are coming from Delasalle. But Richfield, great people. Nothing against anyone personally. but as far as a top notch basketball program. UH NO.

Old 05-23-2019, 01:31 PM

5,833 posts, read 7,676,415 times
Quote:
I want him to switch. I looked it up and Richfield doesn't have many basketball players going to D1 schools. If you're going to make a commitment to play high school basketball and AAU basketball, it's to get a scholarship. We're not doing this for fun. Especially with the money AAU costs. Also just because you're black and an honor roll student does not guarantee a scholarship. Even going to the top HBCU colleges(Hampton, Morehouse, Howard), you're not getting a full ride. To get a full ride, you have to really stand out. You have a higher chance getting a full ride by playing sports. Not sure if you know Mo'ne Davis. But she got a full scholarship playing softball for Hampton. She was the female pitcher in the little league and became a huge name.

This is the list I found online. Most of these ball players are coming from Delasalle. But Richfield, great people. Nothing against anyone personally. but as far as a top notch basketball program. UH NO.
I think you are vastly over-estimating his chances of getting a college scholarship, especially at the D1 level. If he is good enough he has already heard from recruiters. There are kids at Minnehaha and De LaSalle who are getting multiple D1 offers in 9th grade. Yet despite winning the AA state championship in 2016-17, Minnehaha does not have one player in that list of D1 players in 2017-18. Looks at these stats.

Odds of playing a college sport from high school

Let him transfer to a better school, but do it so he is better prepared academically and recognize that he is going to have to sit out a year under MSHSL rules. He doesn’t have to give up his dream of playing in college, but can put it in a proper perspective.

Last edited by Glenfield; 05-23-2019 at 02:00 PM..

Old 05-23-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:

You're right! Not only is Richfield not a basketball feeder, they've got a horrible team. I don't know what their coaching staff is like, maybe they're awesome & just don't have any talent to work with? Or, maybe the staff is nothing but the gym teacher & his buddy?

As a fame of reference, there are only three, 2021 players in the state holding D1 offers. One's 7', one's 6'10" & one's a phenom 6'8" PF. Just trying to help you understand how hard it is to get a full-ride, D1 schollie in basketball.

If you're dead set on moving your kid, then cross Edina off your list. It's not a basketball school. No reason to even consider it.

DeLaSalle is so good, that they have several kids who could be D1 players in the 2021 class, who played JV this year. Maybe practicing against that kind of talent would prepare him for D1? Maybe he'd get so much better, that he'd leap frog over those kids? Maybe he'd never make varsity & would resent you for the rest of his life, for ruining the great high school experience he was having at Richfield? Just things to consider.

At Minnehaha Academy, Jalen Suggs, Chet Holmgren & Prince Agibpe (sp?) are all top 20 players in the nation. Would your son get many minutes?

What I'd do is contact the Holy Angels, Minnehaha Academy & DeLaSalle coaching staffs & admissions departments. Explain your situation. These programs are used to high level players wanting to transfer in & will be very honest with you. If they have a kid who plays the same position already, then they may not even want your son. I know of cases where that's happened. If your kid is playing high level AAU ball for one of the Grassrooots teams or similar, then the coaches probably know who he is already. If not, they'll probably ask him to come work out for them or go watch one of his AAU games. You'll also want to know about financial aid packages & testing dates for next year. Most likely, you missed the cut off date on both & would be looking at moving his Senior year, but maybe they could still squeeze him in. The only way to find out is to get in touch with them, but I wouldn't waste any time doing it.

Good luck, keep us updated.

Old 05-23-2019, 03:48 PM

I was talking about someone whose kid goes to DeLasalle. The only issue would be busing The closest bus comes to the Richfield MInneapolis borderline. Listen I can't worry about resentment. If you're putting your all into basketball(the practices everyday, traveling, )then you want someone to bring out your best as far as talent. Are there any public schools I should be looking at? ST Louis park perhaps?

I'm looking at jobs outside of Minnesota too for career purposes. Preferably North Carolina or Philadelphia. If i can get a higher paying job in North carolina, that would be great. Nothing but top notch colleges there. Especially if you can get in state tuition.

Old 06-01-2019, 08:21 PM

335 posts, read 354,266 times
Academy of Holy Angels. I got to play with Larry Fitz and Troy Bell in high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul