Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 07:39 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,439,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
I'm not defending their actions but should it really surprise people that a few Somali men are lashing out after spending years getting marginalized and treated like 2nd class citizens by the largely ignorant and xenophobic population of Strearns County? It doesn't at all justify the behavior, but it also doesn't surprise me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2016, 10:43 AM

5,833 posts, read 7,669,195 times
Quote:
I'm not defending their actions but should it really surprise people that a few Somali men are lashing out after spending years getting marginalized and treated like 2nd class citizens by the largely ignorant and xenophobic population of Strearns County? It doesn't at all justify the behavior, but it also doesn't surprise me.
You may not be aware of this but they explained their motivations at the sentencing hearings and "being marginalized and treated like 2nd class citizens" had nothing to do with it. They were enamored with a radical form of Islam that they were exposed to through videos made by ISIS that they saw on the Internet.

Old 11-24-2016, 12:13 PM

Have you ever heard of a plea? People will say whatever is necessary to get less time. The judicial system is not a fair place for black men in any way shape or form.

Old 11-24-2016, 12:22 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,301,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
You may not be aware of this but they explained their motivations at the sentencing hearings and "being marginalized and treated like 2nd class citizens" had nothing to do with it. They were enamored with a radical form of Islam that they were exposed to through videos made by ISIS that they saw on the Internet.
I'm aware of what they said in a courtroom setting based on the guidance they received from legal council. I still think it's likely that there may have been more going on that made them susceptible to seeking out or being attracted to this extremism and the fact that alot of Somalis in the St. Cloud area are treated like garbage by the locals certainly could have contributed to the unfortunate events that unfolded. It is my personal opinion that less hatred in this world could give people less reasons/motivation to subscribe to terrorism or commit terroristic acts.

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 11-24-2016 at 12:46 PM..

Old 11-24-2016, 12:39 PM

4,315 posts, read 3,967,844 times
Quote:
I'm aware of what they said in a courtroom setting based on the guidance they received from legal council. I still think it's likely that there may have been more going on that made them susceptible to seeking out or being attracted to this extremism and the fact that alot of Somalians in the St. Cloud area are treated like garbage by the locals certainly could have contributed to the unfortunate events that unfolded. It is my personal opinion that less hatred in this world could give people less reasons/motivation to subscribe to terrorism or commit terroristic acts.
when a young male Muslim in St Cloud goes on a stabbing rampage in a shopping mall and cries out " Allah" it doesn't sit well with most St Cloud residents.

( especially when his parents immediately " lawyer up " )

Old 11-24-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
when a young male Muslim in St Cloud goes on a stabbing rampage in a shopping mall and cries out " Allah" it doesn't sit well with most St Cloud residents.

If I had to take a wild guess, I'd say you're white, male, and at least 60 years old....just gonna throw that out there.

Oh, and you definitely voted for Trump.

Old 11-24-2016, 02:15 PM

4,315 posts, read 3,967,844 times
Quote:
If I had to take a wild guess, I'd say you're white, male, and at least 60 years old....just gonna throw that out there.

Oh, and you definitely voted for Trump.
Here I thought you were going to try and refute my facts.

Old 11-24-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post

Let's talk about white males who go on shooting rampages in the US. How should US citizens deal with them? Should they not "lawyer up"?

Old 11-24-2016, 04:26 PM

5,833 posts, read 7,669,195 times
Quote:
I'm aware of what they said in a courtroom setting based on the guidance they received from legal council. I still think it's likely that there may have been more going on that made them susceptible to seeking out or being attracted to this extremism and the fact that alot of Somalis in the St. Cloud area are treated like garbage by the locals certainly could have contributed to the unfortunate events that unfolded. It is my personal opinion that less hatred in this world could give people less reasons/motivation to subscribe to terrorism or commit terroristic acts.
But to be fair, you suspect this might be the case but have no way of proving your theory, whereas I have their court statements. Remember that when they made these statements, the judge had already determined their sentence.

As to people saying just anything to get a lighter sentence, "I was radicalized by ISIS" is not the sort of thing one says if your objective is a lighter sentence. "I was oppressed by the bad white man" is a more likely route for those types.

And remember that several defendants were pulled back into court for flashing some sort of ISIS sign on the way out if the courtroom.

I know it just goes against your grain, and you want to find some western logic behind all of this, something that fits your mold of racial and economic oppression, but that is simply not the case here. These men were or are Islamic extremists. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 11-24-2016, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
But to be fair, you suspect this might be the case but have no way of proving your theory, whereas I have their court statements. Remember that when they made these statements, the judge had already determined their sentence.

As to people saying just anything to get a lighter sentence, "I was radicalized by ISIS" is not the sort of thing one says if your objective is a lighter sentence. "I was oppressed by the bad white man" is a more likely route for those types.

And remember that several defendants were pulled back into court for flashing some sort of ISIS sign on the way out if the courtroom.

I know it just goes against your grain, and you want to find some western logic behind all of this, something that fits your mold of racial and economic oppression, but that is simply not the case here. These men were or are Islamic extremists. Nothing more, nothing less.
Yes, you make it sound like they were born that way or something. You honestly don't think that something in their life likey caused the anger that caused them to be attracted by what ISIS was selling?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul