Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 08:25 AM

490 posts, read 622,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Driving is a privilege not a constitutional right. And with that privilege comes responsibility to drive safely and obey the laws. And that privilege can be revokes at any time.
That dude is just trolling. Growing up isn't for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 12:22 PM

5,833 posts, read 7,689,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Burnett View Post
That dude is just trolling. Growing up isn't for everyone.
Probably too young for a driver's license.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:59 PM

689 posts, read 710,980 times
I actually thought I was done with this topic, but then Mike Mullen wrote a piece about it in City Pages and brought it all back again. I actually don't like Mike Mullen very much. He's too left-wing extremist liberal for my taste. However he did write an interesting comment about the topic of this Thread:

A real Minnesota drivers license test, for passive-aggressive perfection | City Pages

Old 12-13-2016, 11:27 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,964,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Z View Post
I actually thought I was done with this topic, but then Mike Mullen wrote a piece about it in City Pages and brought it all back again. I actually don't like Mike Mullen very much. He's too left-wing extremist liberal for my taste. However he did write an interesting comment about the topic of this Thread:

A real Minnesota drivers license test, for passive-aggressive perfection | City Pages
Haha. This is great. I would agree, possibly safest drivers, definitely not the most skilled or polite.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:41 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,059,327 times
Quote:

So much of that is so spot-on, even the comment added about freeway ramps.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
Haha. This is great. I would agree, possibly safest drivers, definitely not the most skilled or polite.
"Safest driver" is a very subjective statement. The safest driver is the one going the same speed as the majority of the traffic on the road he is traveling. What gets me most are those out there who have been indoctrinated with the "slow down" mentality, who then try and exercise their will on the rest.

They think by driving slower than the surrounding traffic that they are being safe, when in actuality they are like a rock in the stream which is actually increasing the risk of collisions as the flow tries to get around them. They are also oblivious to the fact that they are, in reality, responsible for everyone else around them getting into collisions.

They should be banned from the roadways.

Old 12-15-2016, 05:26 AM

2,104 posts, read 4,589,041 times
Doctor Z, good drivers can drive in all conditions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B4SysDBRPc

Last edited by demtion35; 12-15-2016 at 05:55 AM..

Old 12-15-2016, 10:50 AM

15,940 posts, read 12,253,804 times
Quote:
Rating drivers on their driving is a pretty subjective observation. For me the BEST drivers are the FASTEST drivers, because they stay out of my way. They have to be good to drive fast and not crash. The worse drivers are the slowest drivers because they "don't feel comfortable" driving at the speed limit or above it, or taking freeway curves without slowing down to the speed limit or below.

Personally I think it should be illegal for anyone to be on the road who doesn't exceed the speed limit at all times under good driving conditions even around sharp curves. Set that cruise control at 5 to 10 over the limit and keep it there!

I don't have any opinion on how "good" a driver I am; but I will say that I'm one of the BEST at getting where I'm going so as to maximize my personal free time; which is the whole purpose of owning a vehicle in the first place.

And I don't want to hear from anyone who thinks, "Better to take more time getting there than not getting there at all." If that's your philosophy you belong back in the 19th Century!
That's my view. Around here we have fast people but too many slow farmer joe types that clog up the roads going 5 under the speed limit that completely mess up the system. People drive way too defensively at 4 way stops and take too long to get going at green lights too.

They don't believe other drivers that have blinkers on so they'll miss opportunities to make a turn and clog up traffic because they think the other car is going to ignore the blinker and keep going straight and hit them.

They also have this thing about having yield signs at interstate onramps, so you've got a subset of people who don't know how to get up to speed merging on the interstate and enter going 45MPH which is dangerous and not the way it should be done.

People think they are safe going slower but then they go texting and otherwise doing distracting things with their phones, or use their phone at stoplights and are oblivious to the fact the light turned green. You believe what you wanna believe but attentive driving is safe driving not just prodding along like a grandpa. On the other hand going so much faster than the flow of traffic you are darting between lanes like a madman is not really that safe or productive either. Somewhere in the middle there is a happy medium where you can go 5 above the limit but not take forever.

I anger people when I try to time it to hit stoplights when they hit green.. I'll let the car coast down to 20mph.. what's the point of getting to the stoplight early and having to stop and sit there? So I can gawk at my stupid phone? I don't want to be sexist and get an infraction, lol.. but you can tell who the women drivers are.. they fly by you going 10 above, slam on the brakes to sit at a stoplight.... 90% of the time I look at a driver who does that it's a woman. haha. At least they go the speed limit or above though.

From personal observation I've found MN drivers tend to be slower than their counterparts in South Dakota or Wisconsin... at least the rural ones away from Minneapolis. In South Dakota our speed limits are 65 on state highways and 80 on the interstate and in Wisconsin they just ignore the speed limits and go 10 or more above anyways... they're going 85-90 during rush hour on I-90/94 when I visit there around the Dells.. that whole stretch to where 90 and 94 split off around Tomah needs 3 lanes but only has 2 and with all the semi traffic it's somewhat stressful to someone not used to it. I'm not sure about Iowa drivers though the one I met thought it was insane we all went 85 on the interstates here.

Last edited by sholomar; 12-15-2016 at 11:08 AM..

Old 12-15-2016, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I anger people when I try to time it to hit stoplights when they hit green.. I'll let the car coast down to 20mph.. what's the point of getting to the stoplight early and having to stop and sit there?
The only part of your above post that I don't agree with. If you are the only car on the road, this works, but if you try and "time green lights" on a busy highway, people will cut in front of you and then drive slow after they are thru the light. I've learned I must race up to the red light to protect my place in traffic as well as launch my vehicle off the line to get back up to SPEED once it turns green.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post
Doctor Z, good drivers can drive in all conditions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B4SysDBRPc
None of the drivers in that video were good drivers. I can fishtail my rear end at will accelerating, steady speed, or while slowing down, and bring it back under control again in snow, rain, or on dry pavement. I have NEVER lost control from my rear end fishtailing. I have wiped out from front end losing traction though. This was because I had too much HP going to the rear-wheels while not having the proper tires and suspension in the front, but that was my 1970 Ford Torino GT. I was still quite young and learning back then. All my vehicles have been rear-wheel drive or 4x4. I won't be caught dead in a front-wheel drive.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
View detailed profiles of: