U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 09:46 AM

30 posts, read 39,186 times

Advertisements

Originally a MN native from Woodbury and currently living in Salt Lake City about to relocate back "home" and my wife and I are curious what are some of the best and most affordable suburbs of St. Paul these days? Preferably in the mid 200's new construction if possible but doesn't need to be and the best bang for our buck? Last I heard home prices are soaring and it's getting less and less affordable to live. Would prefer to stay out of North,South, East, West St. Paul areas. Any help is much appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 12:04 PM

3,393 posts, read 2,867,854 times
Generally speaking, you won't find new construction for less than $350 in the suburbs. You can find nice new townhomes for mid 200's, and you can find stripped down new construction starting in the low 300's (but expect laminate countertops, no deck, unfinished basement, etc.)

The most affordable homes are going to be in Maplewood, Oakdale area, but they won't be new houses and it's not the most desirable area. How far are you willing to commute?

Cities like Bayport, Farmington, and Hugo have lots of less expensive new construction, but that's because they have poor highway access in the middle of nowhere.

To me the best bang for your buck on newer homes is going to be Apple Valley, as well as the undeveloped part of Woodbury close to their newer High School. Once again, with decent certainty, bare-bones new construction in these areas probably starts at low 300's, and the average home with more options is probably going for $425K.

Hope that helps.

Old 02-24-2017, 06:03 PM

412 posts, read 348,781 times
New houses. What is the need for getting a new house? The newer they are, the more they are crap. Houses built before WWII had more quality. There were artisans back then. Now it is all about least value put in and most price taken out. People who insist on new are having their pockets picked.

Old 02-25-2017, 03:23 PM

5,297 posts, read 5,472,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTimeSEALover View Post
New houses. What is the need for getting a new house? The newer they are, the more they are crap. Houses built before WWII had more quality. There were artisans back then. Now it is all about least value put in and most price taken out. People who insist on new are having their pockets picked.
My brother built a new house in Blaine three years ago, his wife told me recently that they couldn't afford to buy their house now. Tell me how they are having their pockets picked?
Finding a pre WWII home limits you basically to Mpls or St Paul proper.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:24 PM

412 posts, read 348,781 times
They want to sell? Why? And what does it mean "My brother built". My fathe ACTUALLY built family homes with his own hands. "I built" nowadays means "I hired a contractor".

Old 02-26-2017, 08:57 AM

5,297 posts, read 5,472,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTimeSEALover View Post
They want to sell? Why? And what does it mean "My brother built". My fathe ACTUALLY built family homes with his own hands. "I built" nowadays means "I hired a contractor".
It means they paid x amount to have someone "contractor" build them a house. Today said house is worth more then they paid to be built, as in 100-200k more "equity" based on recent sales in the direct neighborhood. True about the I built part, that saying goes with the automotive industry, and just about any and everything.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:23 PM

30 posts, read 39,186 times
okay since new construction probably is out of the question with our budget then does that change any answers in terms of where the most affordable suburbs are? Not a fan of maplewood and oakdale could potentially be an option. My overall opinion is the entire twin cities is priced higher than it really should be compared to many cities around the country.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:51 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,511,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan1989 View Post
okay since new construction probably is out of the question with our budget then does that change any answers in terms of where the most affordable suburbs are? Not a fan of maplewood and oakdale could potentially be an option. My overall opinion is the entire twin cities is priced higher than it really should be compared to many cities around the country.
To put this into prospective, the Twin Cities are still less expensive than a lot of large metro areas around the country. However, when compared to cities in the Midwest, it is generally more expensive. I think this can be attributed to the Twin Cities having a faster growing population than the Midwest and probably some other factors like building codes and regulations.
Check into used homes in Mendota Heights, Highland Park. I had some frends that bought in Rosevills and they like it. Also, Shoreview, Arden Hills are nice. Cottage Grove is a little bit further out than Woodbury, but generally less expensive.

Old 02-26-2017, 11:25 PM

3,393 posts, read 2,867,854 times
Roseville is a nice place, lots of retail and close to both cities. I would also look into Inver Grove heights. Some of the homes have a lots of acreage there. And if you want an absolute steal (although the homes won't be close to new) check out South st. Paul!!!

Old 02-27-2017, 10:02 AM

2,375 posts, read 1,720,020 times
Does anyone - maybe one of the realtors who offers help on this board - know how accurate the Trulia data is (https://www.trulia.com/home_prices/Minnesota/)?

There you can look at the six-month numbers (Nov 16 - Feb 17) of median listing price, median sales price county-by-county and further break it down by zip code (one error I do see it that for Washington county it is linking to stats from a region in Washington state.

When you get down to the zip code level, there is also a lot of community data. This might be a good tool to use to focus on an area (again, if Trulia is pulling from good sources). Not that you won't find outiers in other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul