U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-14-2017, 07:15 AM
 
1,349 posts, read 1,309,544 times
Reputation: 2370

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
that's $5 a day for 20 workdays, you can find ramps in nyc for that?
but parking my car is a constitutional right!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-14-2017, 10:07 AM
 
524 posts, read 925,821 times
Reputation: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
$100 a month??

Are we talking about Minneapolis or New York?
It's a school with 30K+ students and thousands of teachers/employees in the middle of a dense urban area. Parking is at a premium. It may be better when you are going to be working, though the campus is never really "dead".
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2017, 10:12 AM
 
1,882 posts, read 1,218,984 times
Reputation: 3754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
$100 a month??

Are we talking about Minneapolis or New York?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
That's $5 a day for 20 workdays, you can find ramps in NYC for that?
Ramps are about $100/month, surface lots about $70/month and garages about $130/month.

$5 a workday for a space is a bargain for Minneapolis.

And it is 24/7, though some lots/ramps push people to other lots for events such as football games. And you have reciprocity for space at each of the other campuses, if you need it (so if you have a contract for an East Bank lot, you can use it on the West Bank or at St. Paul, if you need for meetings or need to stop by the meat store on the St. Paul campus to pick up ribs and ice cream ... store is open on Wednesday afternoons, btw).

I don't *think* there is any free street parking around the U any longer, but there may be a few blocks out (which could put someone a 20-30 minute walk from their office/clinic on campus ... which isn't a bad thing in the summer and fall).

And, there are people who park on the street for free on the St. Paul campus and take the free campus connector bus to the East and West Banks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2017, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Isanti County, Minnesota
3,536 posts, read 5,076,806 times
Reputation: 5232
I knew I'd regret the parking response the moment I finished typing it and hit "submit".

I get it: You gotta pay to park most places downtown......in any major city. I guess I was hoping the med center would pick up that tab for its employees. Give me a break, I haven't actually worked downtown before.

Looks like we may wind up in Mankato anyway. The Mayo hospital there is being much more aggressive about bringing me aboard than the U is, and we have to make a decision soon. Since that gig is a weekend one with only 3 days of commuting, I thought about maybe living in Chaska or Shakopee and doing the 169 shuffle Friday night through Monday morning.......until I read some horror stories about what that road can be like in the winter.

Thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2017, 04:40 PM
 
524 posts, read 925,821 times
Reputation: 850
There is an active thread in the Minnesota forum about a similar question, but doing the reverse. General consensus is that it's not great.

My stepson had cancer treatment at the Mayo and doing the drive from Apple Valley to Rochester was not fun, especially if it was snowing. I certainly wouldn't want to do it everyday or multiple times a week.

BTW the parking situation might be even worse for you at the Mayo. My wife is a nurse and her friend worked there. She said that unless you're a very high level employee you will not be able to get a parking spot anywhere near the Mayo campus. One of the nurses my son worked with had been there almost 10 years and still had to park at the IBM building at the outskirts of the city and take a shuttle bus.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2017, 04:55 PM
 
1,349 posts, read 1,309,544 times
Reputation: 2370
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweilo845 View Post
There is an active thread in the Minnesota forum about a similar question, but doing the reverse. General consensus is that it's not great.

My stepson had cancer treatment at the Mayo and doing the drive from Apple Valley to Rochester was not fun, especially if it was snowing. I certainly wouldn't want to do it everyday or multiple times a week.

BTW the parking situation might be even worse for you at the Mayo. My wife is a nurse and her friend worked there. She said that unless you're a very high level employee you will not be able to get a parking spot anywhere near the Mayo campus. One of the nurses my son worked with had been there almost 10 years and still had to park at the IBM building at the outskirts of the city and take a shuttle bus.
That's Rochester. OP said Mankato Mayo.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2017, 05:10 PM
 
Location: Isanti County, Minnesota
3,536 posts, read 5,076,806 times
Reputation: 5232
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
That's Rochester. OP said Mankato Mayo.
Correct. Mayo owns a few other hospitals in the region, including Eau Claire, WI and the one I just finished interviewing with in Mankato.

During the interview I asked if any of the staff commuted from the Cities, and the response was basically "no", so I don't think that's something they'd be happy with, even though my shifts would only be 3 days a week and there's no on-call duties involved. Too bad, I really like what I've seen of the Chaska and Shakopee areas, but Mankato looks pretty nice itself. I'm a husband and father of 4, so just seeking a nice Midwestern town to settle into and raise my family in.

If the U (Fairview) wants me they better bust it, because I'm expecting Mayo to pounce, and we have to be out of our current place within about 3 weeks time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2017, 07:24 PM
 
810 posts, read 672,494 times
Reputation: 541
walking wouldn't be too bad except in the frigid and snowy winter :-)


Is there a bus/light rail stop near the hospital? Might be worth it to commute that way. Not sure how much a bus pass is. Lots of places help pay the cost. Like here in PDX. My husband gets his monthly bus pass and the company pays for half. It is paid pre tax so we don't even miss the cost. He saves gas time and money for parking by ridng the bus or light rail called the MAX
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2017, 09:04 PM
 
1,882 posts, read 1,218,984 times
Reputation: 3754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Correct. Mayo owns a few other hospitals in the region, including Eau Claire, WI and the one I just finished interviewing with in Mankato.

During the interview I asked if any of the staff commuted from the Cities, and the response was basically "no", so I don't think that's something they'd be happy with, even though my shifts would only be 3 days a week and there's no on-call duties involved. Too bad, I really like what I've seen of the Chaska and Shakopee areas, but Mankato looks pretty nice itself. I'm a husband and father of 4, so just seeking a nice Midwestern town to settle into and raise my family in.

If the U (Fairview) wants me they better bust it, because I'm expecting Mayo to pounce, and we have to be out of our current place within about 3 weeks time.
People do it, from further in the Cities than Chaska and Shakopee. I know a few who do it to work at MSU-Mankato. In the fall, you can pick up freshly-made pies, apples and licorice at the orchard south of Jordan on 169.

The highway is two-lane divided and was in very good condition when I used to drive it, but that was ten years ago. But if you don't have to, why? One of the upsides to a city the size of Mankato is that you can live ten minutes from work if you want.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2017, 09:14 PM
 
1,349 posts, read 1,309,544 times
Reputation: 2370
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
People do it, from further in the Cities than Chaska and Shakopee. I know a few who do it to work at MSU-Mankato. In the fall, you can pick up freshly-made pies, apples and licorice at the orchard south of Jordan on 169.

The highway is two-lane divided and was in very good condition when I used to drive it, but that was ten years ago. But if you don't have to, why? One of the upsides to a city the size of Mankato is that you can live ten minutes from work if you want.
Sure but for some it's better for the family to live in the metro.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:07 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top