Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2017, 05:53 PM

55 posts, read 79,641 times

Advertisements

So, I went to the art shanties on White Bear Lake last weekend and I was taken by how cute and developed the downtown node had become. Last time I had been to WBL it was sleepy and a little rundown, but clearly they've been investing. Seems like a nice trail along at least the west end of the lake, as well. I was arguing with my husband that this could be a quainter version of Lake Harriet living at a much more affordable price (I'm sure some may laugh at that) but I hear that the actual Lake is draining, and I wondered if the swimming was any good since most of the pictures I see show a lot of weeds. Can anyone attest to the swimming? What about WBL downtown in general, what is it like - politics, personality etc.? I've been a south sider since I moved to the Cities 12 years ago and I just don't know much about the Northern Suburbs, but I'd consider a move if it's as cute and welcoming and functional as it looks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 02:48 PM

36 posts, read 77,342 times
The lake is having problems. There are plans to fix it but most public beaches have been closed for a few years due to low water levels. There are some nice new waterfront developments good for walking, grabbing an ice cream cone and hanging out though. The town itself is awesome. With Marketfest and Manitou Days it seems like there is a special event going on there half the summer. Live music, people sitting back in their lawn chairs, grabbing food from a favorite stand or food truck kind of thing. Some nice restaurant choices. We also enjoy dock side dining and live music at Admiral D's in the summer. Politics, don't have much info to add to that I guess. My brother who lives in the north west metro but used to live in the area said something this week like "White Bear just likes to take it easy", which I took as a good thing.....unless you are talking about hockey, which is a big deal for a lot of people here.

Old 03-02-2017, 06:06 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times
Ramsey county main beach on White Bear Lake is closed due to lake level but he south side Bellaire Beach is open. As is neighborhood beaches but you have to be in the right neighborhood association to go to those. The prices for beach front property is the same as anywhere else. Take a look at mls online to see the prices of other areas in and around the lake.

Old 04-09-2017, 06:10 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,520,022 times
Sadly White Bear Lake now has Zebra mussels and Millfoil.
Alot of boat, jet ski traffic.
No regulations to lakeside homeowners who fertilize their lawn and put weed killers in the lake.

If things don't a change I see it not being the once beautiful lake it was and is. The is is less though.

There are plans to make a walking and biking path on the east side of the lake like the West side.

Old 04-16-2017, 10:46 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times
While I was in town last week getting us a house the local news was talking of proposals to begin pumping water into White Bear Lake from neighboring lakes such as Vadnais to prevent it from dropping too low in the future.

Won't be cheap, though......

Old 04-17-2017, 02:07 AM

2,105 posts, read 4,597,839 times
I have been to this town a few times, just passing through.

Last edited by demtion35; 04-17-2017 at 02:58 AM..

Old 04-17-2017, 06:54 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,520,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
While I was in town last week getting us a house the local news was talking of proposals to begin pumping water into White Bear Lake from neighboring lakes such as Vadnais to prevent it from dropping too low in the future.

I had not heard that. Yeah I wonder who will pay for that.
I read that they will be doing sprinkler bans.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:10 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,067,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post

I have read an estimate of $55 million:

Low levels plague White Bear Lake, largest in east metro

Also interesting from that story is this excerpt, regarding a report compiled by the U.S. Geological Survey about 96 lakes in the NE metro (second part of the report was to come out in January):

"Historically, White Bear Lake has the most significant highs and lows of neighboring lakes, the report found.

'Naturally, this is always going to occur,' said Perry Jones, a USGS hydrologist who helped compile the report. 'So there’s always going to be some kind of drop.'

The rise and fall of the lake levels can actually be good for the lake, as it helps a variety of plant species thrive, said Jason Moeckel, a water-resources section manager for the DNR. And the lake still has good water clarity and adequate fish and plant populations, Moeckel said.

'The natural dynamics of a lake going up and down are also important parts of the ecology of that lake,' he said."

There is a lot in that one story, including the lawsuit against the MN DNR over the lake levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul