Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 07:41 PM

89 posts, read 119,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
Another thing I noticed is that people who tend to have a negative outlook on life pretty much hate it here. It's too cold, taxes are too high, then it's too hot, it's too remote, yada yada yada. People who tend to have a positive outlook on life absolutely love it here and find the positives in living in a totally beautiful city, close to nature, lakes and easy living and appreciate the progressiveness of the city and the metro area. On the other hand, if you lean right, there are plenty of places for you to fit in (heck, this is the only state where you can go and actually drive a tank), you can shoot guns, own horses and live in the country and paint "Go Trump"'on your barn if you wanted to (but please don't do that).

I don't own a barn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 01:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,425 times
How has Minneapolis-St. Paul compared to where you came from?

I've lived here for 5 years now. I grew up down the road in Iowa, but lived 9 years in Texas (San Antonio, San Marcos, Austin) and 9 years in Los Angeles before moving back to the Midwest. I personally love it here. It's incredibly easy to get around in and very green, especially compared to orange and brown Texas and concrete and steel L.A.

Do you live within city limits or in a nearby suburb?

I live in St. Paul.

Are you happy with your housing? Please say whether you are an apartment dweller or homeowner.

Very happy. I rent a duplex between Summit Ave. and Grand Ave. I literally have beautiful Victorian mansions on one side and great restaurants, shops and bars on the other. Rent is a piece of cake compared to L.A. I'm single without kids so that also makes it a little easier.

a. How would you describe the experience of getting around in the city for shopping and work, and accessibility of stores/services/businesses you need? Please share whether you have a car or use public transportation.

Getting around is easy compared to L.A. and Austin, both of which have insane traffic issues. I remember the first time I drove from St. Paul to Minneapolis for a concert and it only took 15 minutes. The concert and parking also only cost about 1/2 the price of what it would have in L.A. I've never used public transport here but my friends that do seem to like it.

b. If you do use public transportation, whether regularly or occasionally, how would you rate the system(s) there, and how does it compare to where you lived before?

Have you been happy with the move you made? Do you think you'll stay put long-term?

I've been very happy with the move and I plan on living here permanently. But I can also see why other transplants might have difficulties at first meeting new people when moving here. I did/do as well and I'm one of those single extraverts mentioned earlier. I think like someone else said, a lot of native Mpls/St.Pl were born and raised in the area. They went to highschool and college here and their family and friends all live nearby. There is no incentive to meet new people when you have a lot of people in your life already.

How would you rate the arts and cultural offerings (museums, theaters, galleries, concerts, etc.) in Minneapolis-St. Paul?

Very highly. It clearly doesn't compare to N.Y. or L.A. but I feel it has everything that you would need. As far as affordability and access go, I would say it is superior. You can go to a concert at the last minute and still get in. Nothing is really more than 30-45 minutes away. That is certainly not the case with L.A. and I imagine not with N.Y. either.

Please share your opinion on the cost of living there. In your experience and from what you've observed, do you think salaries in the Twin Cities keep pace with the COL?

Cost of living here is much better than L.A. but worse than Texas. Austin might be comparable now, but not when I lived there. I feel like you get more here, even if the COL is higher than other Midwest cities.

What do you like best about the Twin Cities?

The Autumns and the people. It may take a while to meet and make deep friendships here, but I feel that's because the people really take these things seriously and if they become your friend, they're all in. Experiences are relative of course, but I felt that there was a little more shallowness to my relationships in L.A. compared to here. Harder to meet people here, but once you do, you can't get rid of them

What do you like least?

Potholes and the construction season that follows every winter to fix the potholes.

Old 04-17-2017, 12:59 PM

178 posts, read 346,870 times
How has Minneapolis-St. Paul compared to where you came from?

I was madly in love with where we lived before. Moved here for better schools, lower cost of living and a great job opportunity. I'm surprised how much I like it here despite still adjusting (here about 6 mos).We were in the SF Bay Area before and DC area before that. We miss the fairly comprehensive racial/cultural diversity throughout the cities we were in before. Also, people frequently do not assume we are a family here as they have in previous cities (we are a multiracial same-sex couple). This doesn't really bother us, but it does lend a bit to feeling more like outsiders. I would also say the people we interact with a more consistently churchgoing than other places we have lived. I think these folks skew more towards moderate centrist to slightly progressive where previous cities we were more often surrounded by more progressive to liberal folks.

I think I could go on and on about food differences, but will say this. There is delicious food here. We haven't explored as much as we have in other cities, but we have found some wonderful places. So far, there has been a major difference in the density of options, but we lived in the Bay Area and in no way expected it to be the same here. So far, there is also a difference in how robust the fresh produce options are as well. Again, we've gone from daily access to farmers to occasional. But it's more than possible to find all we need here.

Schools were not the slam dunk we expected. The school we landed in did a terrible job working with students with special needs. Much worse than where we were before, but with more of the trappings of a school with more resources (extracurriculars, etc.). I'd say Oakland is way ahead of the game on using restorative justice in the schools and has stronger special education - but a new school is proving to be substantially better.

The parks system in Minneapolis is amazing and worth replicating in other cities.

Do you live within city limits or in a nearby suburb?

South Minneapolis.

Are you happy with your housing? Please say whether you are an apartment dweller or homeowner.

Very happy. We have considerably more space than in previous places we have lived and crime is much lower. We're not sure we will stay in our neighborhood longterm though. We may do better in a neighborhood with a little retail, restaurant, area.

a. How would you describe the experience of getting around in the city for shopping and work, and accessibility of stores/services/businesses you need? Please share whether you have a car or use public transportation.

We use cars and have found it so easy to get around here. Traffic is exponentially easier than all the cities I have lived in (Bay Area, DC, Austin, Atlanta).

b. If you do use public transportation, whether regularly or occasionally, how would you rate the system(s) there, and how does it compare to where you lived before?

It's tough to compete with the public transportation system in DC. The Metro goes all over and the bus system connects throughout too. Bay Area is slightly less good than that. I don't have much use for public transport here, so hard to say much. I don't see that the train system is that extensive.

Have you been happy with the move you made? Do you think you'll stay put long-term?

Yes. I think the social aspects of being here are tough. Our teen hasn't met many kids who bring him along or want to build a friendship. They are nice, but seem to be quite set in their groups. But people are friendly and we feel we can unravel this over time.

How would you rate the arts and cultural offerings (museums, theaters, galleries, concerts, etc.) in Minneapolis-St. Paul?

For it's size, the Twin Cities is remarkably arts-centered. We have barely dug in and always feel like there are many options. I'm a fan of some very specific kinds of art and see plenty of ways to view/participate enjoy those here.

Please share your opinion on the cost of living there. In your experience and from what you've observed, do you think salaries in the Twin Cities keep pace with the COL?

The cost of living where we were was 60% higher. One of us works considerably less here and can focus on some family needs in ways we couldn't before. Salaries seem to be about 25% lower in much of our field.

What do you like best about the Twin Cities?
The balance of space, cost of living, the arts, and opportunities. I love the seasons, the park system, and there are good opportunities for public schools. It is easy to get around and we are eating well.

What do you like least?
This is tough. We're very happy here. I think we are going to have to make more effort in a few areas than we have in many years. For our teen to find ways to connect that work is going to take us doing more work. The groups we have connected to and activities he has been in (sports/theater) don't default to building connections among the kids. Where we've been before there were more pizza get togethers, hangouts, etc. Activities that were seasonal ended in a party, contact information was exchanged, etc. That's not the case in the activities he has participate in, but we know our sample size is small. Stated most broadly, we don't see that there is a cultural expectation that building social connections is part of youth activities.
critical,

I think the other thing is a lack of broad racial and ethnic integration as well as GLBTQ integration. When we talk about this, we often hear "no one will have a problem" or "people are accepting." On the whole that is true and all is well. But there is a difference between being accepted and being represented or reflected. This is a numbers thing to a certain point and also relates to where we chose to live, but we haven't lived anywhere in quite a while where some of the places we go are so homogenous.

Last, and this is minor, we find (broadly speaking) folks to be less direct here. Again, such a small sample to work with, but that is an adjustment.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:52 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,190,713 times
I'm split on the diversity thing. At times I feel like the Twin Cities is very diverse and multi-cultural, especially when I'm in places where all types of people like to gather, like malls, grocery stores, etc. Other times I see what some (non-WASP) folks are complaining about, and I guess I get it (even though I'm technically a WASP myself, but I've lived in a number of different places and settings with various levels of diversity and the lack thereof). My immediate family has/had lived in San Francisco now for 8+ years and both of my parents just moved back to the Twin Cities, and they bring up some of the same issues you're mentioning. Having raised their children here they aren't as shell shocked by the cultural differences, but still they seem to notice/complain about things like diversity and inclusion at times, especially when it comes to social events. The Twin Cities, for all its progressiveness, is still not on most American's radar when it comes to places to relocate to, and as such there aren't nearly as many transplants from all corners of the country like you'll find in places like SF and DC, so there will likely be growing pains when it comes to meeting new people and fitting into your setting compared to those places. If/when the area becomes a popular magnet for relocating, perhaps that could change. I've heard both good and bad stories from transplants, but most of their experiences are are directly tied to their expectations.

I personally believe that you get more than you pay for by living here (amenities outweigh the cost to obtain them RELATIVE to other cities), but it's cheaper here for a few reasons.

*Disclaimer* I love the Twin Cities and feel that it's the best/one of the best places to raise our family and live, but that doesn't mean I think it's perfect and/or couldn't be improved.

Old 04-18-2017, 05:40 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
The Twin Cities, for all its progressiveness, is still not on most American's radar when it comes to places to relocate to, and as such there aren't nearly as many transplants from all corners of the country like you'll find in places like SF and DC, so there will likely be growing pains when it comes to meeting new people and fitting into your setting compared to those places. If/when the area becomes a popular magnet for relocating, perhaps that could change. I've heard both good and bad stories from transplants, but most of their experiences are are directly tied to their expectations.

I personally believe that you get more than you pay for by living here (amenities outweigh the cost to obtain them RELATIVE to other cities), but it's cheaper here for a few reasons.
I think these two statements are extremely accurate. I've only been to Minneapolis once but it's not hard to see the obvious. It honestly amazes me that Minneapolis isn't on the radar in the way other major transplant cities are. But what you said is true, I don't think it's Minnesota Nice or Minnesotans already having their own social circle...but really it's just due to MSP being a mid-size city that isn't one of the top places to move to. There are certainly worse places to be a transplant. Cincinnati would be an example of a city where it'd be even harder to form a social circle.

I lived in Raleigh for 11 months. It was the smallest place I ever lived in. I actually made friends right away and had a good social circle going, but I also know of many who complain about that city being too family friendly and how it's hard to meet people. It's all about expectations like you said. I'm an extrovert and have no problem meeting people. I can thrive anywhere.

These mid-size cities aren't small towns, but you are going to have to put yourself out there more than you would in say NYC. All it takes is effort. But I think MSP has enough transplants now that you can't really blame the local culture if you don't fit in.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:32 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,700,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
Hello all,
I'm interested in hearing from people who have moved to Minneapolis or St. Paul from somewhere else. It doesn't matter how long ago you moved there, but please feel free to share how long it's been and where you were before, if you like. I'm looking for your subjective opinions and personal experiences, rather than collected data and statistics. Please share as little or as much detail as you want.
  1. How has Minneapolis-St. Paul compared to where you came from?

2. Do you live within city limits or in a nearby suburb?

3. Are you happy with your housing? Please say whether you are an apartment dweller or homeowner.

4. a. How would you describe the experience of getting around in the city for shopping and work, and accessibility of stores/services/businesses you need? Please share whether you have a car or use public transportation.

5. Have you been happy with the move you made? Do you think you'll stay put long-term?

6. How would you rate the arts and cultural offerings (museums, theaters, galleries, concerts, etc.) in Minneapolis-St. Paul?

7. Please share your opinion on the cost of living there. In your experience and from what you've observed, do you think salaries in the Twin Cities keep pace with the COL?

8. What do you like best about the Twin Cities?

9. What do you like least?

THANK YOU!
Minneapolis (vs. NJ/Chicago/WI) is more modern and planned. Newer infrastructure and the city just has a general "ease" about getting around. I live in the suburbs, however I am a city person at heart. The Twin cities is great for people that want to take advantage of both. Unlike other cities, going into "the city" is never a hassle. Malls/stores/restaurants are rarely too crowded. A good example: when I lived in NJ, one had to make a golf tee time 7+ days in advance, and you would always be paired up. Here, I can call on a sunny Sat. and most courses find a way to fit me in.

I do use public transport to work from the suburbs. The buses are frequent, never crowded, are new and clean, and have wifi. So I love them. In fact, the buses are always so new that I sometimes question how the city spends it money!

I have been very happy with the move, and do anticipate staying. No place is perfect, but the Twin cities simply feel like home. Whenever I travel elsewhere, I enjoy the vacation but often find myself saying "man, great vacation, but don't know that I could live here....."

Arts and culture are a 8.5/10. Higher than most cities, but still not a DC/Chicago/NYC

Cost of living is high. Just read the Pioneer Press article that stated we have the highest housing costs for any non-coastal city (because of code regulations). I recently went to Kansas City to visit a friend, and housing and coffee were both half (yes half!) the cost of Minneapolis. That said, I do think the local salaries keep up.

Things I enjoy most: a big city with an approachable feel, good schools, highly educated population, abundance of jobs, safe and clean, nice airport, lakes, parks

Things I dislike: flat topography, distance to new topography, MN nice passive aggressiveness, length and depth of winter, mosquitos

The Twin Cities are a great place. That doesn't mean that I don't have to fight "the grass is greener...." thoughts from time to time, it's human nature. I do find myself less tolerant of winter (despite mild winters) now that I have a small child, cabin fever sets in much sooner as we are home more often.

Old 05-14-2017, 10:33 PM

3 posts, read 4,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
Hello all,
I'm interested in hearing from people who have moved to Minneapolis or St. Paul from somewhere else. It doesn't matter how long ago you moved there, but please feel free to share how long it's been and where you were before, if you like. I'm looking for your subjective opinions and personal experiences, rather than collected data and statistics. Please share as little or as much detail as you want.
  1. How has Minneapolis-St. Paul compared to where you came from?

Cleveland Ohio. The economy here is better, the crime is much lower. The inner ring suburbs are all nicer. The city proper is safer and cleaner.
    Cleveland is older and at one time was a great American city, while it's gone far downhill from its heyday, the old cleveland still lingers. The cities are opposites.
  2. Do you live within city limits or in a nearby suburb?
    In the city. It's ok. Uptown, which is the nicest section.

3. Are you happy with your housing? Please say whether you are an apartment dweller or homeowner.

Apartment. It's ok.
  4. a. How would you describe the experience of getting around in the city for shopping and work, and accessibility of stores/services/businesses you need? Please share whether you have a car or use public transportation.

I drive. So getting around is easy enough.
    No. No public transportation user here.

5. Have you been happy with the move you made? Do you think you'll stay put long-term?
    I moved here for the a job that was offered. The Northwoods is fun, and that's probably the best part of living here. Otherwise I'd move on. Minneapolisians think too highly of their city and themselves. I'm from a city where half the city is a 'friend' the other half would shoot you for fun, we like to talk in cleveland. So I came here a very outgoing gregarious person. This dump doesn't fit my personality. They remind me of a shy little kid who has nothing to say in dealing with them. I mostly hang out with transplants. The food here is ok. Their standards are lower. I'm outta here before too long.

6. How would you rate the arts and cultural offerings (museums, theaters, galleries, concerts, etc.) in Minneapolis-St. Paul?
    Mediocre. At best. I have to travel to Chicago to see live concerts.

7. Please share your opinion on the cost of living there. In your experience and from what you've observed, do you think salaries in the Twin Cities keep pace with the COL?
    COL is meh. Taxes are higher. Rent is a bit higher. My salary increases enough.

8. What do you like best about the Twin Cities?
    The north woods. The city itself is ok. Nothing too special.

9. What do you like least?
The people. Ive got 2 more years, then adios. Back to cleveland. Its my city and my people.

THANK YOU!
Apparently I have to enter a message outside the quotes

Old 05-15-2017, 08:05 AM

490 posts, read 624,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heruka View Post
Apparently I have to enter a message outside the quotes
I'm also outgoing and gregarious but my social experience here has, apparently been very different than yours. I find many people here to be friendly and open to random conversations with strangers. I do however understand your point of view. I do frequently run into a certain type of Minnesotan here. If you address them directly they seem uncomfortable, shy and vaguely surprised. It doesn't bother me and I actually find it a little cute. I often push it a little bit and force them to engage with me a little. It's good for them

On the other hand I have the friendliest neighbors I've had in a long time here and when I walk the dogs I usually get into several conversations along the way. It's rare that I go out to eat and don't get involved in a chat with a nearby diner. I find way more friendly and genuine people here than I do the shy, Minnesota nice types. They do exist, so I get what people are saying, but it's way overblown in my experience.

If you are disappointed with the Arts and food scene here than you're definitely in the wrong place. Best of luck in uh, Cleveland

Old 05-15-2017, 08:26 AM

871 posts, read 1,088,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Burnett View Post
On the other hand I have the friendliest neighbors I've had in a long time here and when I walk the dogs I usually get into several conversations along the way. It's rare that I go out to eat and don't get involved in a chat with a nearby diner. I find way more friendly and genuine people here than I do the shy, Minnesota nice types.

Chester, I'm glad to hear that you've had a more positive experience than many transplants. I'm a native Minnesotan myself and because of that I've had to rely on the experience of transplants to form an idea of what we Minnesotans tend to be like as a group. Given the number of transplants saying the same things about the culture here, and the inescapable fact that we are geographically isolated from other large cultural settings, I do believe that it is especially difficult to form friendships with native Minnesotans.

So let's return to my first sentence: I think you've had some good luck, combined perhaps with a stellar personality, and found some of us natives who are more open to forming new friendships. That's really great! I love to see that! Though I'll accept the testimony of the many transplants who have found it difficult to befriend native Minnesotans, I'm skeptical of those who say they formed no friendships at all in Minnesota. Transplants who did not form friendships with other transplants cannot blame Minnesotans.

In any case, I'm glad your experience has been positive. I choose to live here because there are so many things about this part of the country that I love. I like to see people come here from elsewhere and thrive.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:05 AM

490 posts, read 624,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedosius View Post
Chester, I'm glad to hear that you've had a more positive experience than many transplants. I'm a native Minnesotan myself and because of that I've had to rely on the experience of transplants to form an idea of what we Minnesotans tend to be like as a group. Given the number of transplants saying the same things about the culture here, and the inescapable fact that we are geographically isolated from other large cultural settings, I do believe that it is especially difficult to form friendships with native Minnesotans.

So let's return to my first sentence: I think you've had some good luck, combined perhaps with a stellar personality, and found some of us natives who are more open to forming new friendships. That's really great! I love to see that! Though I'll accept the testimony of the many transplants who have found it difficult to befriend native Minnesotans, I'm skeptical of those who say they formed no friendships at all in Minnesota. Transplants who did not form friendships with other transplants cannot blame Minnesotans.

In any case, I'm glad your experience has been positive. I choose to live here because there are so many things about this part of the country that I love. I like to see people come here from elsewhere and thrive.
Thanks Thedosius. Most of the friends I've made are actually natives but I understand the stereotype and don't doubt others experiences. Maybe I just live in an untypically friendly neighborhood. My personality isn't that stellar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul