Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 08:42 PM

147 posts, read 142,922 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or is there really a lack of quality old world condominiums in the northern parts of St. Paul and Minneapolis? I'm talking about the brick building and hardwood floors style. It seems like within downtown, snug along the river, or south of 94 there are many options. On the northern half of town, things are pretty scarce.

Starting from the west:
1) North Minneapolis -
Pretty much no condos, just a massive plethora of houses that are vacant.
2) NE and all along University Ave -
There is tons of rental housing over by the U. In some cases near major thoroughfares (like University/4th) you'll even see some old classy rental buildings, but even much of the high density housing here seems like it was built in the 70s. Over on the St. Paul side, there are a few old classy buildings near the Midway but again none of its for sale.
3) East of 35e -
You may find some newer townhome housing near Phalen boulevard but everything else in this area is houses.

Yet when you look in the southern parts of the city it's very different:

From east to west:
1) Downtown St. Paul -
Tons of options.
2) Marshall/Grand Ave from Minneapolis to downtown STP -
Again, tons of old classy buildings, many of which have units for sale.
3) Downtown Minneapolis -
There are options.
4) South Minneapolis -
Tons of old classy buildings in Uptown, Stevens Square, Midtown, and other areas.

Why is it that the classy old architecture is hard to find in the northern parts of the cities and why isn't it for sale? For the lack of those types of buildings in general, I'm assuming that this all has to do with the way the Twin Cities developed? For those such buildings like this that are in existence today: are landlords doing such a a good job renting this real estate that they just don't want to give it up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 09:57 AM

256 posts, read 286,863 times
Others more familiar with each neighborhood's history can say more, but generally speaking, you're more likely to see the old brownstone type buildings in the original core area of each city, because higher-density construction in these areas first happened in an era where "new construction" meant employing teams of artisans who built to last, unlike today when "new construction" tends to mean building more or less disposable buildings cheaply and quickly so they can be filled with people ASAP, and built just nice enough so that the holding firm or whatever can charge as much rent as possible. Not to say nobody builds nice buildings anymore, only that it's not a primary motivating factor.

Old 04-11-2017, 10:05 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,520,022 times
Not sure, but my guess would be that in some of these areas there was a housing boom after World War II. And they were not built like you described.
These were built before in the downtown areas.
Outskirts of downtown was were these new homes were built after World War II

Old 04-11-2017, 10:31 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,596,328 times
Because south of 94 is the nice part of both cities, the north side is the ghetto. Take it or leave it, but that should answer your question.

Old 04-11-2017, 01:57 PM

101 posts, read 142,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
Because south of 94 is the nice part of both cities, the north side is the ghetto. Take it or leave it, but that should answer your question.

Another way to put it is that the Southern side of both cities are trendier and builders tend to focus their resources on those neighborhoods, Uptown, Lowery Hill, Summit Hill to name a few. The northern side is either more blue collar or in the rougher parts of town. I now live in Milwaukee and the areas like the southern spots of the twin cities are the upper east side and Whitefish Bay and Shorewood. The areas that tend to get the least amount of attention are Cudahy, South Milwaukee or West Allis.

Old 04-12-2017, 03:27 PM

3 posts, read 3,990 times
There are plenty of turn of the century Pullman style condos on Cathedral Hill in St Paul. Some are priced very reasonably.

Old 04-12-2017, 03:43 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,596,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maibeejohe View Post
There are plenty of turn of the century Pullman style condos on Cathedral Hill in St Paul. Some are priced very reasonably.
But that is still the south side of St. Paul.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:16 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
I thought Summit Avenue in St. Paul was loaded with them...?

Old 04-12-2017, 09:04 PM

369 posts, read 633,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I thought Summit Avenue in St. Paul was loaded with them...?
That's also the south side of St. Paul. The north side of St. Paul (north of I-94) is mostly single and multi-family houses or newer apartment complexes.

Old 04-19-2017, 05:00 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
No Fire concerns living in these brick/wooden buildings? That's my biggest concern, over how quaint/beautiful the place may be. You can always put wood floors in a high rise condo!

Me? I'd buy a unit in the Towers near the Post Office downtown. They'll never build condo towers like that again! Ever! Like poured concrete walls between the units, and the thickness of the floors!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul