U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2017, 05:24 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,396,565 times

Advertisements

Checkers Looking To Expand Presence In Twin Cities

The brand, which currently has more than 800 locations, is looking to open 40 to 50 new restaurants in the Minneapolis and St. Paul area over the next year with roughly 25 planned for 2016 and 2017.

Open 25 restaurants in 2016 and 2017? Theres one that opened early 2016 I believe in St Francis, MN and the other one is in Brookyln Center that has been there for years now, and thats it. A total of two locations in Minnesota. (One location in West St Paul closed years ago.) Where are these 25 locations that are supposed to be open by the end of 2017!?!?!?!? It's now April 2017. They got 8 months and I'm watching them closely.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincitie...in-cities.html
Hardee's to open 59 new area restaurants. Is one near you? [MAP] | City Pages
https://patch.com/minnesota/eagan/ha...etro-expansion

Hardees in 2012 said they were going to open 59 new Hardees in the Twin Cities in the next 5 years (A very specific number, no less) and it's now 2017 (five years later) and how many have they opened? Oakdale and Rogers? Not only that but they specifically said The company is anticipating five new locations in Minneapolis, five in Richfield (including two at the airport), four in both Brooklyn Park and Eden Prairie, three in Apple Valley and Cottage Grove, two each in St. Paul and Minnetonka, and one in both St. Louis Park and Edina, among others.

Apparently they were very sophisticated liars when they said they had 59 specific locations planned in specific places.

Bordering on Greatness - Franchise Times - November-December 2007 - FranchiseTimes.com
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincitie...16/story6.html

Oh, and now Sonic, which Border foods announced they wanted to open 35 locations here and specifically said The brothers will open the first Sonic in Minnesota on May 15, 2008, then the second in August, then another unit every 60 days for six years. The restaurants will add as much as $70 million in revenue to Border’s business.

That was back in 2007.

It's not 2017, 10 years later. There are 5 Sonics, and in 2012 one location in St Paul closed. Where are these 35 locations? I'm still waiting.

Interestingly enough, Border Foods owns all the Taco Bells in Minnesota and used to own all the Pizza Huts. In 2014 they sold their Pizza Huts in a bankruptcy sale to some company out of Texas called Muy Cos and the ones they weren't able to sell ended up closing. I don't know if anyone paid attention but in late 2014/early 2015 there was a massive amount of Pizza Huts in Minnesota closed simultaneously (St Cloud, Sauk Rapids, Ely, Hutchinson, Redwood Falls, Buffalo, Sauk Centre just to name a few off the top of my head) Most likely the ones Border Foods wasn't able to sell off or something.
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincitie...ankruptcy.html
They actually did replace some of the Pizza Hut locations though. The one in St Cloud by the Crossroads Mall where Chick Fil-a And downtown St Cloud closed but they opened a new downtown location with a bar and what not and a carryout location in Waite Park. And I know Hutchinson had a new carryout location open sometime after the old location closed too.

Marco's Pizza makes push for Minnesota amid competition for franchisees - StarTribune.com
And now in late 2016 Marco's Pizza is saying, or "claiming" they want to open 60 restaurants in the Twin Cities & Minnesota in 5 years. (A fantastic pizza place, btw. They currently got 3 in the Twin Ciities in New Hope, Shakopee and Anoka, and one in Mankato and one opening in Owatonna, MN soon)

I'm just going to bet $1 billion dollars right now that they won't get anywhere close to 60 restaurants. They'll probably open 4 restaurants, if they're lucky. They got one "Coming Soon" in Owatonna, MN according to their website. If they manage to open another 4 locations in the next 5 years I'll be impressed. Fortunately I live roughly 2 miles from their New Hope location so if they're lying and don't open anywhere close to 60 restaurants it won't affect me much. It's one of my favorite pizza chains ever since I moved to the Twin Cities from St. Cloud.

It seems to be the trend! Hey, Minnesota is a fantastic market! We want to open 60 restaurants in the next 5 years here! Were going to start blitz building and opening them like crazy and get a new location opened every 60 days!

Five years later

Woops, we actually only managed to open 2-4 restaurants. We lied, woops

Last edited by Radical_Car; 04-11-2017 at 05:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 06:17 AM

1,338 posts, read 1,203,378 times
This is franchising PR hyperbole. I work in the franchising industry. They always run with the largest possible number of store openings projected under the most optimal circumstances. It rarely pans out that way.

Old 04-11-2017, 06:48 AM
Status: "Presidents don't need to know how to read!" (set 2 days ago)

21,841 posts, read 22,773,337 times
They opened a Sonic in Cambridge about 4 or 5 years ago but it appears to be closed now, looks like they're still open in Elk River tho

Old 04-11-2017, 08:13 AM

330 posts, read 398,443 times
I'm not surprised that so few of these chains have actually opened. There's too much competition today and more people are moving away from fast food places like these and choosing different (often healthier) options when eating out.

If anything, I think more of these types of big chains will decrease in the future rather than expand. For example, there's already been a huge reduction in the number of Burger Kings or Hardees in the area compared to years ago.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:43 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,396,565 times
Marco's is really good, and they actually have been opening restaurants like crazy. They're one of the fastest growing pizza chains and they currently have around 800 restaurants. They've roughly doubled their size in 5 years.

They opened 116 stores in 2015
Marco

The most I can find for how many opened in 2016 is this article from November 2016 saying they opened 88 locations so far in 2016.
Marcos pizza franchise Opens a Record Number of Stores in One Week

The Pizza Hut in New Hope closed in fall 2016. All it had is a sign on the door saying this location was permanantly closed and please visit one of their nearby locations and at the end it had Muy's name at the end of the letter (the franchisee) and their Texas address.
7500 Bass Lake Rd, New Hope, MN, 55428 - Restaurant Property For Sale on LoopNet.com

Looking at this here, especially outside of the Twin Cities, when Border Foods sold off their Pizza Huts to Muy in 2014 a LOT of them closed. Theres not too many outside of the Twin Cities like there used to be. I remember growing up seems like every decently sized small city in Minnesota had a Pizza Hut. Buffalo, Ely, Sauk Centre, Sauk Rapids, Montevideo Redwood Falls, Willmar just to name a few off the top of my head (theres many, many more that closed there are just the ones off the top of my head) Plus several in the Twin Cities and I think at least one in Duluth closed as well.
MUY! » Locations

Old 04-11-2017, 09:27 PM

110 posts, read 88,965 times
It's easy to make a press release, but a lot harder to get a franchisee to spend millions building out multiple locations. Some ideas just get burned out like Krispy Kreme. I remember the first store in Maple Grove with police directing traffic. It was nuts. It didn't last either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or