Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 11:54 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,034,872 times

Advertisements

I think the artist had only good intentions. The problem was that he approached the issue from a perspective that was unable to incorporate the deep psychological and emotional connection that so many Native Americans have to the Mankato executions.

As Chessgeek points out, Minneapolis is home to AIM. It is also by far the largest city located in what was traditional Sioux territory. It was The Minneapolis branch of The FBI that had jurisdiction over The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation (Wounded Knee), and Hennepin County was a primary law enforcement contributor at Standing Rock. Throw in the fact that Mankato is only about eighty miles away from The Walker, and it should have been easy to recognize that the historical and ancestral relationship that many area Native Americans have to this imagery would be a visceral one.

Then incorporate the bitter political climate that currently hangs over The Unites States, and the long and brutal history this country has of disregarding Native American sovereignty, and there would seem to be a perfect-storm set of components underlying the reaction of Native Americans.

With that said, both the artist and the Walker director were quick to acknowledge their tone deafness and culpability for the fiasco, perhaps coming away with some valuable lessons about art and human perspective. It's time for everyone to move on, keeping those lessons in mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 01:48 PM

11,919 posts, read 8,244,234 times
No burnings this week. It appears the Dakota Elders will be making the final decision about what to do with the wood.

I'm glad to hear that some thought will be put into this. It's possible they may be able to do something constructive out of what is perceived to be a negative.

‘Scaffold’ Won

And a reminder - please remember that "Sioux" was a word the French gave to the Dakota native dwellers. It means "Snake." Perhaps you'd rather use their words for themselves depending on affiliation - Dakota, Lakota or Nakota.

Why don't the Twin Cities residents know more about the Conflict? It's alive and well in New Ulm and Mankato which only recently noted the Sesquicentenial. Many residents in the area can still give verbal accounts passed through family members.

Mankato individuals and Dakota Elders have been working now for decades, since having a Native mayor, to breach the rift and heal. (It started when the Mayor did/didn't steal the marker that announced the spot where the hangings took place. That's quite a story in itself!)

Why not take a weekend and visit the area and get a little background on your beliefs about "art?"

Old 06-13-2017, 02:29 PM

264 posts, read 311,596 times
<i>And a reminder - please remember that "Sioux" was a word the French gave to the Dakota native dwellers. It means "Snake."</i>

Does not strike me as a word of French origin - perhaps because it is not.

"The name is sometimes said to be derived from an Ojibwe exonym for the Sioux meaning "little snakes" [..] An alternative explanation is derivation from an (Algonquian) exonym na·towe·ssiw (plural na·towe·ssiwak), from a verb *-a·towe· meaning "to speak a foreign language"."

Warring tribes have given each other disparaging names for millenia, both in the Old and New World. Some of those exonyms have stuck, some have not.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:10 PM

23,769 posts, read 28,868,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
No burnings this week. It appears the Dakota Elders will be making the final decision about what to do with the wood.

I'm glad to hear that some thought will be put into this. It's possible they may be able to do something constructive out of what is perceived to be a negative.

‘Scaffold’ Won

And a reminder - please remember that "Sioux" was a word the French gave to the Dakota native dwellers. It means "Snake." Perhaps you'd rather use their words for themselves depending on affiliation - Dakota, Lakota or Nakota.

Why don't the Twin Cities residents know more about the Conflict? It's alive and well in New Ulm and Mankato which only recently noted the Sesquicentenial. Many residents in the area can still give verbal accounts passed through family members.

Mankato individuals and Dakota Elders have been working now for decades, since having a Native mayor, to breach the rift and heal. (It started when the Mayor did/didn't steal the marker that announced the spot where the hangings took place. That's quite a story in itself!)

Why not take a weekend and visit the area and get a little background on your beliefs about "art?"

didn't the executions take place on Christmas Day? I believe Lincoln commuted some of the sentences, but...

don't recall much if anything was taught in history class on the conflict in my Bloomington high school.

Old 06-14-2017, 12:18 PM

11,919 posts, read 8,244,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvoyd View Post
<i>And a reminder - please remember that "Sioux" was a word the French gave to the Dakota native dwellers. It means "Snake."</i>

Does not strike me as a word of French origin - perhaps because it is not.

"The name is sometimes said to be derived from an Ojibwe exonym for the Sioux meaning "little snakes" [..] An alternative explanation is derivation from an (Algonquian) exonym na·towe·ssiw (plural na·towe·ssiwak), from a verb *-a·towe· meaning "to speak a foreign language"."

Warring tribes have given each other disparaging names for millenia, both in the Old and New World. Some of those exonyms have stuck, some have not.
You're correct, pvoyd. And it was the French traders and missionaries who introduced the Ojibwe slur into the English language.

I find history to be a complicated thing. Just when it appears you've gotten down to the bare bones another viewpoint is discovered which lends a new layer to its context.

Yes, Ghengis. Can you imagine? It makes me shudder. One could write volumes about the cultural implications. I'm wary of attempts to cover it up and think it is healthy to encourage information from all angles.

Every year near Christmas members of the tribe make the trek by horseback to the new memorial by the Minnesota River in Mankato. It's quite a solemn and impressive occasion.

On the First of the year they leave from Mankato to do a relay run to Fort Snelling to commemorate the forced march of those who were sent there.

They also have a large Pow-Wow in the Fall near their sacred spot at the confluence of the Blue Earth and MN Rivers. Many people are involved in the healing which is encouraging.

(A century and more ago the city fathers saw fit to build a horse-racing track there and much later annexed other lands that some wanted to turn into a golf course but more respectful ideas have prevailed so far and it has become a natural park area.) There are burial mounds on a hill nearby and on occasion I see small groups visiting in thoughtful silence. This is a hopeful sign of reconciliation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul