Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 01:44 AM

695 posts, read 714,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
If one person in heavy traffic brakes, it can lead to a complete stoppage in that spot 15 minutes later.
And that person should have their car taken away and their license revoked!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 07:46 AM

871 posts, read 1,088,346 times
Peer-reviewed study on the impact of transit systems:

"Estimating a regression discontinuity design, we find that average highway delay increases 47% when transit service ceases...We find that the net benefits of transit systems appear to be much larger than previously believed."
Subways, Strikes, and Slowdowns: The Impacts of Public Transit on Traffic Congestion

Peer-reviewed study showing that adding lanes has never worked to relieve congestion:

"We investigate the effect of lane kilometers of roads on vehicle-kilometers traveled (vkt) for differenttypes of roads in us cities. For interstate highways in the densest parts of metropolitanareas we find that vkt increases in exact proportion to highways, confirming the ‘fundamental lawof highway congestion’ suggested by Downs (1962, 1992). This relationship also approximatelyholds for other important roads in dense areas and for interstate highways in less dense parts ofmetropolitan areas. These findings and others in the paper imply something broader than Down’slaw, a law of road congestion that applies to highways and major urban roads in metropolitanareas. In turn, this suggests that increased provision of highways and major urban roads is unlikelyto relieve congestion of these roads"
http://www.nber.org/papers/w15376.pdf

Enjoy your propaganda puff-pieces, or follow the real-world evidence: the choice is yours.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:42 AM

695 posts, read 714,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedosius View Post
Peer-reviewed study on the impact of transit systems:

"Estimating a regression discontinuity design, we find that average highway delay increases 47% when transit service ceases...We find that the net benefits of transit systems appear to be much larger than previously believed."
Subways, Strikes, and Slowdowns: The Impacts of Public Transit on Traffic Congestion

Peer-reviewed study showing that adding lanes has never worked to relieve congestion:

"We investigate the effect of lane kilometers of roads on vehicle-kilometers traveled (vkt) for differenttypes of roads in us cities. For interstate highways in the densest parts of metropolitanareas we find that vkt increases in exact proportion to highways, confirming the ‘fundamental lawof highway congestion’ suggested by Downs (1962, 1992). This relationship also approximatelyholds for other important roads in dense areas and for interstate highways in less dense parts ofmetropolitan areas. These findings and others in the paper imply something broader than Down’slaw, a law of road congestion that applies to highways and major urban roads in metropolitanareas. In turn, this suggests that increased provision of highways and major urban roads is unlikelyto relieve congestion of these roads"
http://www.nber.org/papers/w15376.pdf

Enjoy your propaganda puff-pieces, or follow the real-world evidence: the choice is yours.
Well the proof is in the pudding. Remember back in 2004, during the six-week Metro Transit Strike? Traffic congestion around the Twin Cities actually REDUCED! The only people that were in major straights were those who DIDN'T drive or own cars. Also a survey done at the time rated the #1 quality of life problem in the Twin Cities as TRAFFIC CONGESTION.

When I tried to find some articles online to back up my statements above, I discovered they have all conveniently been REMOVED. Imagine that....

Old 07-04-2017, 09:38 AM

120 posts, read 116,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
No need to move out to dullsville to do that, you can do that in Minneapolis and St. Paul.
Not true. I mean an isolated little community that's so small everything I need is within walking or biking distance including my job. I'd still own a car to places fun that were out of town, and also so I can go out on a date. Women aren't too impressed with a guy picking them up on a bicycle or riding the bus to that romantic getaway.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:43 AM

143 posts, read 477,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Z View Post
I'm not talking about cars waiting to turn left, I'm talking about going STRAIGHT ahead. Before the train, the traffic lights were coordinated so you could drive 35+ MPH without stopping almost the entire length of University Avenue from Snelling Ave to Rice St. Now you just set at red lights while the train passes you.
If you want to drive from Snelling to Rice non-stop, then take I-94.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:22 PM

367 posts, read 545,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laxster View Post
I think that misses the point as I agree with Doctor Z that it is much slower driving along University now that the Green Line is there, and it doesn't need to be this way.

The truth is that to fight Twin Cities congestion we need BOTH roads AND transit; too many people feel it should be entirely one or the other. I'm all for transit expansion, but we definitely need certain roads to have their capacity upgraded as well (for instance, no major metro freeway should only carry two lanes in each direction as is common on numerous highways in the area such as 62, 169, 36, and northbound 77 south of Diffley Road).

Old 07-07-2017, 04:54 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,708,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laxster View Post
Non stop on I-94. LOL. Not during rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul