Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 07:45 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,768,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
It takes time for body to acclimate. I couldn't hack it in Louisiana or Texas, my brain will boil. Same when Southerns come here and there is a bit of a breeze and some clouds and they lose their mind about how cold it is. My recommendaion - invest in an artcic expedition parka like Arcteryx or Patagonia or even Canada Goose (I know, I know).
Actually no. My family loves the cold and tolerates it far better than most Mn natives. People who know us comment all the time because it's not an issue most of winter. We loved it from our first winter. We are always amused at how quickly we see gloves and coats in October/November. Hell, a few Saturdays ago it was a bit cool and I was laughing at people who I saw in fleece. Fleece!?!? It's June. I had a kid that would lay in the snow drifts until I forced him in. Of course now there is no way I could tolerate the Florida heat year round. No way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 04:51 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,352,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
Actually no. My family loves the cold and tolerates it far better than most Mn natives. People who know us comment all the time because it's not an issue most of winter. We loved it from our first winter. We are always amused at how quickly we see gloves and coats in October/November. Hell, a few Saturdays ago it was a bit cool and I was laughing at people who I saw in fleece. Fleece!?!? It's June. I had a kid that would lay in the snow drifts until I forced him in. Of course now there is no way I could tolerate the Florida heat year round. No way.
It's the same with me. While I haven't lived in Minnesota, I've lived in cold climates. This past winter in temperatures of 15-20 degrees, I dressed like it is fall. Granted it's colder in Minnesota, but for someone who grew up in Florida, I handle it pretty well.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:18 PM

70 posts, read 100,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Regards to the cold, bear in mind there is an entire country of people that live even north of us!

You might be surprised to know that much of Canada's population, including the Toronto metro, live south of Minneapolis.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:49 PM

23,769 posts, read 28,898,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minndavid60 View Post
You might be surprised to know that much of Canada's population, including the Toronto metro, live south of Minneapolis.

I guess that would explain their funny accents

Old 07-06-2017, 07:18 PM

878 posts, read 1,200,327 times
Another Floridian transplant who thinks that fears about the weather are (largely) overblown (and I was pretty terrified before moving here)-- buy some quality winter gear (and a heated blanket!) and you're good to go.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:57 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,117,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minndavid60 View Post
By about 90 miles. Similar to Rochester, MN (Mayo Clinic and all, dontcha know )Trivial on a climate basis. Whether something is "North" or "South" of something else has little bearing upon a discussion unless you take into account the very real effects of the broader geography.

Did you know that Minneapolis is nearly 450 miles further south than London, England? Minneapolis is at the same latitude as Venice, Italy, or Bordeaux, France. Which means that Meteorology/Climatology is complicated.

Just Sayin'

Last edited by Astron1000; 07-06-2017 at 09:18 PM..

Old 07-07-2017, 11:39 AM

4,357 posts, read 6,503,954 times
Winters aren't a big deal, as long as you have COMMON SENSE.

Job market is fine, I'd expect a company would offer a relocation package.

Cost of Living will be so much better than what you experience back there in CA.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:32 AM

22 posts, read 29,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezer2340 View Post
Hi All,

I would like to relocate to Minneapolis metropolitan area by fall of 2018. I am a college educated male and I want to get out of Southern California. I am done. California has been good to me, but it's too crowded, polluted, congested, and too expensive. I have read about the hard winters and humid summers. I don't know anyone up there or have been there. I have been doing research about Minnesota and Minneapolis and the job market and affordability and is something that I can afford. Right now I pay $2000 a month for a 2+1 condo in Ventura County 50 miles north of L.A.! How can I ever get ahead? The answer is I can't and I will never be able to afford a house.

Is there any kind of relocation services for people who want to relocate to Minneapolis? Are there any transplant Southern Californians that can answer some questions? Thanks.
I'm a native Minneapolitan who moved away, but I lived there for my childhood and then several years of my adulthood when I moved back for a parent, up until 2015.

I think you really need to take a visit in January before you decide. Seriously. It can get really brutal. I lived there for 18 straight years, and I never really adjusted to it. Some people just can't do it -- it can cause S.A.D., it can get so dry it makes your nose and hands bleed, it can get so cold that it hurts to breathe and you start to go numb within minutes... It's the main reason I'd never move back.

That said, some people love it and go swimming in iced over lakes for sport. And you've got people on this thread saying they moved there from the hot 'n' muggy states and think it's fine. Clearly there are people who are built for it and enjoy it. Who I am to judge.

But if you've always lived with that forgiving, near-perfect SoCal climate, you really need to look before you leap and figure out whether you're one of the polar bears, or one of the sun lizards. I'm a sun lizard, and even being born in Minnesota couldn't change that fact. I yam what I yam.

That said, overall Minnesota is a great state for most quality of life metrics, and really affordable. You will definitely get your space, clean air, and affordable housing. You can have a decent one-bedroom in a decent neighborhood in Minneapolis for under $800 a month. Even less in St. Paul.

Minnesotans do care about their nature, take measures to protect it, and they've got some really beautiful examples of it. Fall is stunning.

The job market is also really strong and resilient. Even in 2008, I didn't have that much trouble getting work. Minnesota led the nation in how to weather the recession. Pay isn't as high as you're used to, but it doesn't have to be, because living is so affordable. Even a smaller salary will go way farther than what you're used to.

Crime seems to be going up a bit lately, but that's true nationwide, and I can't speak to how that's affecting things in real terms, as I haven't been there for the past couple years. Still, something to look into. Despite its overall very good livability, Minneapolis has always struggled in the crime department (at its worst in the early 90's it was even known as Murderapolis, though things have definitely improved from that low point). I don't think this in itself is a deal-killer and I felt I was able to be safe enough. But just something to keep an ear to the ground about. Also pay attention to neighborhoods; they do tend to be really compartmentalized, in terms of where the crime is coming from.

You may also find the social scene a bit different. Minnesotans are very polite and approachable, but they're a bit hard to really get to know and build solid friendships with. You may have to work for it a bit more than you're used to. That's something some people really like, because if you want your space, you can have it. But again, it wasn't for me.

I'll always be proud to be from Minnesota -- a state that really cares about its people, is generally well-run, and has been a strong and consistent boon to the nation. It's an excellent choice, if you can appreciate the weather and the somewhat reserved people.

...But ultimately it wasn't for me.

And as someone who has moved a lot, that's why it's important to spend a bit of time in a place first: it's one thing to read the stats, and it's another thing to be there and really feel it. When you're there and feeling it, it's not just the stats that matter. It's the way those stats interact with the kind of person you are.

Also, never forget, there is no paradise! The grass is never greener. It's all just trade-offs.

Last edited by lilin42; 07-09-2017 at 09:21 AM..

Old 07-09-2017, 09:42 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,352,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilin42 View Post
I'm a native Minneapolitan who moved away, but I lived there for my childhood and then several years of my adulthood when I moved back for a parent, up until 2015.

I think you really need to take a visit in January before you decide. Seriously. It can get really brutal. I lived there for 18 straight years, and I never really adjusted to it. Some people just can't do it -- it can cause S.A.D., it can get so dry it makes your nose and hands bleed, it can get so cold that it hurts to breathe and you start to go numb within minutes... It's the main reason I'd never move back.

That said, some people love it and go swimming in iced over lakes for sport. And you've got people on this thread saying they moved there from the hot 'n' muggy states and think it's fine. Clearly there are people who are built for it and enjoy it. Who I am to judge.

But if you've always lived with that forgiving, near-perfect SoCal climate, you really need to look before you leap and figure out whether you're one of the polar bears, or one of the sun lizards. I'm a sun lizard, and even being born in Minnesota couldn't change that fact. I yam what I yam.

That said, overall Minnesota is a great state for most quality of life metrics, and really affordable. You will definitely get your space, clean air, and affordable housing. You can have a decent one-bedroom in a decent neighborhood in Minneapolis for under $800 a month. Even less in St. Paul.

Minnesotans do care about their nature, take measures to protect it, and they've got some really beautiful examples of it. Fall is stunning.

The job market is also really strong and resilient. Even in 2008, I didn't have that much trouble getting work. Minnesota led the nation in how to weather the recession. Pay isn't as high as you're used to, but it doesn't have to be, because living is so affordable. Even a smaller salary will go way farther than what you're used to.

Crime seems to be going up a bit lately, but that's true nationwide, and I can't speak to how that's affecting things in real terms, as I haven't been there for the past couple years. Still, something to look into. Despite its overall very good livability, Minneapolis has always struggled in the crime department (at its worst in the early 90's it was even known as Murderapolis, though things have definitely improved from that low point). I don't think this in itself is a deal-killer and I felt I was able to be safe enough. But just something to keep an ear to the ground about. Also pay attention to neighborhoods; they do tend to be really compartmentalized, in terms of where the crime is coming from.

You may also find the social scene a bit different. Minnesotans are very polite and approachable, but they're a bit hard to really get to know and build solid friendships with. You may have to work for it a bit more than you're used to. That's something some people really like, because if you want your space, you can have it. But again, it wasn't for me.

I'll always be proud to be from Minnesota -- a state that really cares about its people, is generally well-run, and has been a strong and consistent boon to the nation. It's an excellent choice, if you can appreciate the weather and the somewhat reserved people.

...But ultimately it wasn't for me.

And as someone who has moved a lot, that's why it's important to spend a bit of time in a place first: it's one thing to read the stats, and it's another thing to be there and really feel it. When you're there and feeling it, it's not just the stats that matter. It's the way those stats interact with the kind of person you are.

Also, never forget, there is no paradise! The grass is never greener. It's all just trade-offs.
Good objective post. Some in your position would completely trash the place they left, but you were able to look at the positives and negatives. Honestly that's how I feel about Florida, I got out of there as soon as I could. But you also have those who move to MN and really love it. Sometimes it's harder to really like a place if you're a native.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:47 AM

340 posts, read 606,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilin42 View Post
You can have a decent one-bedroom in a decent neighborhood in Minneapolis for under $800 a month. Even less in St. Paul.
Uh, NO. No, you cannot! Sorry, but your rent prices are waaay off. Maybe that's how it was a few years ago, but not anymore.

Anyway, I thought the rest of your post was really good and spot on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul