Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2017, 08:35 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,520,022 times

Advertisements

Protesters marched and interrupted and took over the Mayors meeting today.
And interrupted the light rails.
That is sad to see.

I wish these bully type protesters woud of learned something from last eves peaceful march and calm speakers who spoke their messages.

Protesters of Damond shooting disrupt Hodges press conference - Story | KMSP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 08:41 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,260,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
You just can't help yourself. You make my point.

When a non-white, or a woman, or a gay is elected/appointed/nominated, you insist that they are unqualified and have only been selected for their inherent attributes. As such, you are implicitly claiming that no non-white or woman or gay can ever be qualified.

That's blatant bigotry. And you've cluelessly just admitted it.

You haven't a shred of evidence to support your claim that the chief or the officer were hired only because of their characteristics. You're making it up, because you can't believe that a lesbian or a black man could possibly be qualified to be police chief or an LEO, so deep runs your bigotry. There are 25,000 Somalis in the Twin Cities, which has a population of 3.8 million people. That's about one Somali for every 155 Twin Citians. Given that the Minneapolis Police Department empoys 800 police officers, it would be odd if there wasn't at least one Somali on the force.

Unless, of course, you think that Somalis are inherently inferior to whites. Which you obviously do.

But, hey... thanks for admitting it. Teddy52. Or David A Stone. Or whatever name you're up to now.
Well, if you want to get rid of this "blatant bigotry" you so declaim, then the fair thing to do would be to get rid of affirmative action, no?

Especially since you claim Somalis are in no way inferior to whites. Why would they, or anyone else, need affirmative action in the first place if everyone is equal?

Or should we just kill off all the white people to ensure no more "bigotry" could possibly exist. You'd like that, right? Lolol.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:47 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
That is sad to see.

I wish these bully type protesters woud of learned something from last eves peaceful march and calm speakers who spoke their messages.

The one who did the interrupting was a .....friend of Castile

Draw your own conclusion on that .

Old 07-21-2017, 09:36 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,744,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Ah, yes - the classic bigotry that holds that anyone who isn't straight and white and male who gets a job, did not earn that job and instead was handed it just because...

PS - I'll add you to the list of people who obviously have no idea what 'pc' means.
I don't have a problem with hiring Somali officers at all. Why wouldn't you hire Somali officers to work Somali neighborhoods? Why you would hire Somalis because of their ability to work Somali neighborhoods and then put them into SW Mpls, makes no sense to me though.

What I do have a problem with is pretending there was no preference in their hiring. The city of Minneapolis (and others) is actively recruiting from the Somali community to be cops, firemen & for other public jobs. Whether that's right or wrong is debatable, but it's indisputable that they are. The idea that they scored higher on their written, psych and physical testing than all the other applicants is preposterous. Noor, Jeronimo Yanez and even Michael Griffen, are all examples of cities practicing racism or cultural-ism in targeted minority hiring. Is it better, is it worse, did it contribute to the shooting of this woman...those parts are unknown.

To call people bigots, to offend men, White people and straight people all in one sentence makes you no better or less bigoted than the people who seem to hate. Maybe it's time to look in the mirror?

"In March, the St. Paul Police Department hired Mohamed, its first female Somali officer, a move designed to improve the sometimes tense relations with 80,000 Somali Americans in the Twin Cities — more than half of them in St. Paul — the nation's largest Somali community."
St. Paul's first female Somali police officer has critics and fans - LA Times

"Minneapolis is aiming for younger members of the Somali community who have grown up in America and are more comfortable with the idea of joining the fire department, Anderson said. “It’s almost like they’re straddling two cultures,” Anderson said.

Cherie Penn, the assistant chief of administration for the Minneapolis Fire Department, said the Somalis are one segment of the population being recruited in an effort to diversify its work force overall.
Minneapolis hasn’t hired firefighters in seven years, Anderson said."
Minneapolis, Columbus seek to hire Somalis in public safety - News - The Columbus Dispatch - Columbus, OH

"Abdullahi and Ali have since been promoted to Sergeants with Minneapolis Police. And recruiting continues. The department has hired a total of seven officers from the East African community.
“We hope we get more, because seven is not enough,” said Ali."
MPD inspires Seattle cops to build trust with Somali community | KARE11.com

"Q- Are departments focused on having a force that matches their community? What are the challenges faced in diversity efforts?
A- This is an essential goal in Minneapolis, Glampe said, but it's a tough battle."
https://www.mprnews.org/story/2015/0...ce-recruitment

Old 07-21-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Before that lesbian got hired as fire chief, the gay community kept proclaiming.........."first lesbian fire chief in the entire United States"

They then went so far as to say if the Minneapolis City Council didn't hurry up, another city might hire a lesbian fire chief and Minneapolis would lose on the distinction of being " first".

How did that work out ?

After reading that the police union was glad to see the female police chief resign they mentioned the chief played favoritism and ruled via intimidation.

Sounds like the Minnesota Fire Chief's style of a few years ago.
Any female who rejected her advances paid a price.

Certainly you knew this.............unless you were hiding under a rock.
It was in the news constantly.
She is being replaced by a Hispanic, Medaria Arradondo. In a city where 10% of the people are Hispanic. If he's a super star and earned this, I'm all for it. If it's another sad attempt at diversity, I'm 100% against.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
That is sad to see.

They're demanding Mayor Betsy Hodges resignation. She is refusing. I hope they keep the heat on her until she does. Live by the PC sword, die by the PC sword.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:38 PM

70 posts, read 101,325 times
Quote:
That is sad to see.

The loud mouth, vulgar and crude protestors don't want to solve anything. What they want is to dismantle local police forces as we know them and replace them with a more centralized police force under their control. And anyone who doesn't believe that should read the frightening comments made today by that far leftist Gordon on the Coty council. He said he's "excited" to explore putting th police department under the City council's control. Truly frightening, especially considering what a hâte filled and incompetent bunch of buffoons they are.

On a related. Let, loved seeing Hodges get what she had coming to her. Awful, awful woman who needs to go away permanents.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Apparently, that is not the case for some Minneapolis residents at the moment. In a phone conversation, Don Damond told police chief Janee Harteau that he and some neighbors are afraid to call the police now.

Valerie Castile walked with Don Damond in a peaceful march in Minneapolis yesterday to show her support. That is encouraging. Sends a message that she is concerned about the issue, regardless of the victim's skin color.
While I have no doubt that Justine Damond was a good person, who in their right mind, after reporting what she believed to be a sexual assault, would walk outside at nearly midnight, in their pajamas, 1/2 block down their street and then turn into an alley? What exactly did she think she was going to accomplish. I'm sorry, that was just DUMB!

Old 07-21-2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Apparently, that is not the case for some Minneapolis residents at the moment. In a phone conversation, Don Damond told police chief Janee Harteau that he and some neighbors are afraid to call the police now.

Valerie Castile walked with Don Damond in a peaceful march in Minneapolis yesterday to show her support. That is encouraging. Sends a message that she is concerned about the issue, regardless of the victim's skin color.
A $3M settlement will do that to you. I'm sure we'll see a Mercedes convertible in her driveway shortly.

Last edited by minndavid60; 07-21-2017 at 11:06 PM..

Old 07-22-2017, 12:26 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,520,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
She is being replaced by a Hispanic, Medaria Arradondo. In a city where 10% of the people are Hispanic. If he's a super star and earned this, I'm all for it. If it's another sad attempt at diversity, I'm 100% against.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
They're demanding Mayor Betsy Hodges resignation. She is refusing. I hope they keep the heat on her until she does. Live by the PC sword, die by the PC sword.
Yes, when a human is used as a tool, they will be turned so quickly.

Maybe if she offers them more free pizza and hot chocolate she will a few more months out of them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul