Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2017, 10:35 PM

21 posts, read 31,754 times

Advertisements

Hey all and thanks for reading this

So, I am a native Texas and have lived all over TX pretty much. I attended university in Dallas (SMU) and lived there after college and worked a few years. I really enjoyed my time there, but the inner city life, when you mature a bit, got a little too fake for me after i started making real money. And so I moved to Houston but i really dislike how... "ghetto" and "dangerous" it can be. Also it's a bit too "diverse" for my taste.

Due to my job, I can possibly transfer to Minneapolis/St.Paul areas pretty easily. Also with my degree and alum connections it is mostly pretty easily doable.

Part of me really considers this as I have German ancestry on my mother's side and I understand there's a strong German descent there. Also, in college and post college I would often meet many guys/girls as friends from the Midwest area so I kind of know what to expect. I have also dated a few midwest girls (mostly from MN) and I am a definite fan lol. I'm big into the midwest sports, although I am not a Vikings fan, but I have my old Brett Favre jersey around somewhere. hint hint ... My brother is in law school right now in Chicago so I will have family close as well. So familiarity and a few draws to the area intrigue me.

I am in the tech industry and would be making 100k in the TC area, is that livable? I have a rough idea of taxes but don't know exactly what to expect. I am a fan of the cold weather actually and would welcome that, although do BMW's drive well in snow up there? lol
I am also very familiar with "Minnesota nice" from friends i've met over the years so that is also something I look forward to.

Any thoughts? I also understand that MN is more... "white" so is it safe to say that it's more "safe"? I mean I just don't know how else to put it lol

So...

COL? is 100k enough?
Safety?
Adjustment from TX? (although i have a good idea of what to expect)
Nightlife? (from my understanding it's often compared to Austin and prob Nashville, although Austin is way too crowded for my tastes)
Roads/driving? I need an honest answer for this as i've driven everywhere all my life

Personality wise: I'm pretty southern conservative, so i have my good Southern morals and values but am a fan of progressivism and think it's conducive to society today. I LOVE country music and honestly Nashville would be my other choice (I have college friends living there)

SIDE NOTE:
I do love the SUBURBS of Houston and Dallas but... those are primarily geared for married couples in TX, but great, safe areas so long term I consider that. I saw a post on here about the Woodlands which is a TERRIFIC area (one of my fave in the state) but/so are the suburbs comparable in the MN area?

So Texas examples would be the Woodlands/Legacy Plano/Frisco/Boerne/Southlake/Rockwall/Katy/etc

Thanks again all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul